question about modes,keys,scales

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mattrix3 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:11 am Can you recommend one that has a scientific bent and explains the why of what they say?

I don't think any of the books you have linked to were meant to fill this purpose.
Not this one?
gaggle of hermits wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:58 am "sweet anticipation" by David huron is pretty in-depth on where that discipline is headed.
Oh, Ok.

Thank you,
My bad

I thought this was supplemental to a beginner level music theory book, not a replacement.
Last edited by mattrix3 on Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

the book you want doesn't exist as far as I'm aware.

I also get the sense you want an explanation that doesn't exist: music is not deterministic* and the realisation that it isn't has taken several hundred years (if not more) to develop.

* with the possible exception of the influence of the harmonic series that comes from typical instrument designs and the way the vocal tract works. and given the success of equal temperament, it's possibly not that strong an effect.

mattrix3 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:58 am expected my basic questions would attract relatively objective and reasoned answers, not controversy and ridicule, where I would be called upon to justify every word I uttered.
Unfortunately I saw this looking for something rather more amusing.

The events in thread are revised and mischaracterized dramatically.
You made statements that were absurd that I felt needed to be straightened out. So the impression is beginner but that wants a different look than that. So you were curious about ancient Greek theory, and thought to confound that with a more basic set of issues.

You’re welcome for the detailed, concentrated lesson on the meaning of terms you tossed in there rather wildly btfw. Which was absolutely reasoned and objective, albeit I did observe the absurdity of the thrust. Irritatedly. Then it got to be a game of whackamole*. This was_not mere basic questions asked, and there is no controversy created by someone who’s been proved in error. *: You were argumentative instead of staying with questions (& in more than one thread).

Look, I spent a_lot of time with you trying to educate you, more than you’re going to see really ever - I mean you’ve a small book from me over two threads - particularly with that attitude.

You really think OP will come back and read the aftermath of this little drama that lasted 38 days, Jan?
Click the profile, (s)he hasn't logged in since...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Return to “Music Theory”