Harmony Bloom by Mario Nieto (MIDI plugin)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Harmony Bloom

bmanic wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:54 pm Fantastic update Mario!! Hope you have got some more exposure and get your product known. Make sure you send messages to a few Youtube influencers so that you get a solid user base.

Cheers!
bM
yeah! It's interesting to be able to move the project through the forum!
Thank you for the suggestion! :clap:

Just purchased and I love this plugin! Bravo! Such an exciting project.

One small request. The link to DAW playback button goes off when switching presets which makes it hard to cycle through presets and audition them without having to constantly re-click the button.

And, some more long-term feature requests:

1. More control over specific notes in the notes Spiral. Would be wonderful if there was a way to customize each note in the Spiral so it could play a sequence rather than just a scale. A shorter-term workaround to cut back on UI programming would be a way to load user defined scales/sequences from a text file or something like that.

2. More control over the trigger bars. I would like the ability to add more than 8 and offset each on the circle as I please. And, I would love it if each trigger bar could have a settings panel for Midi Channel, Note transpose, probability, and Note range - this would define which note activate the trigger, and would allow presets where some trigger bars only activate high notes and some only low notes and some trigger bars only activate C3 for example.

Anyway, thanks so much for this plugin! Really enjoying it.

Eric

Mineralhillsworkshop wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:46 am Just purchased and I love this plugin! Bravo! Such an exciting project.

One small request. The link to DAW playback button goes off when switching presets which makes it hard to cycle through presets and audition them without having to constantly re-click the button.

And, some more long-term feature requests:

1. More control over specific notes in the notes Spiral. Would be wonderful if there was a way to customize each note in the Spiral so it could play a sequence rather than just a scale. A shorter-term workaround to cut back on UI programming would be a way to load user defined scales/sequences from a text file or something like that.

2. More control over the trigger bars. I would like the ability to add more than 8 and offset each on the circle as I please. And, I would love it if each trigger bar could have a settings panel for Midi Channel, Note transpose, probability, and Note range - this would define which note activate the trigger, and would allow presets where some trigger bars only activate high notes and some only low notes and some trigger bars only activate C3 for example.

Anyway, thanks so much for this plugin! Really enjoying it.

Eric

Hey Eric,

About "link to DAW playback button goes off when switching presets":

The presets load with the state in which they were saved, so this couldn't be considered a bug. Maybe in the future, I'll add an option similar to the lock we have for scale, which keeps the parameter even when changing presets.

For now, the only solution to this is to load the presets and save them again with the DAW transport active. Or save the new preset with "Link Transport to DAW" active.

Regarding the other options you proposed, I'm already planning how to add a system for much more control over the notes and another to have more control over the trigger Bar. I want to start working on these functions soon.

Thanks for your message and suggestions. :tu:

i don't own the plug (but am definitely thinking about it) so maybe i am missing something, but the Link Transport to DAW seems like it should be a global setting (for the plugin), rather than a per preset setting.

Wonderful! Thanks Mario! Very exciting. :phones:
MarioNietoWorld wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:54 pm Hey Eric,

About "link to DAW playback button goes off when switching presets":

The presets load with the state in which they were saved, so this couldn't be considered a bug. Maybe in the future, I'll add an option similar to the lock we have for scale, which keeps the parameter even when changing presets.

For now, the only solution to this is to load the presets and save them again with the DAW transport active. Or save the new preset with "Link Transport to DAW" active.

Regarding the other options you proposed, I'm already planning how to add a system for much more control over the notes and another to have more control over the trigger Bar. I want to start working on these functions soon.

Thanks for your message and suggestions. :tu:

This sequencer is fantastic. Awesome work, Mario!

+1 to the requests for more user control over specific notes and the sequence itself if there's a way to work those into Harmony Bloom while maintaining its fast/easy workflow and keep things in the creative zone.

This thing is super trippy.

Is it possible to deactivate the note filter (scale, root) and note collection of the plugin? I know this sounds a bit weird but I would like to use only the midi generation part of Harmony Bloom to drive my own chords and notes I play on the keyboard. Whatever I tried so far, there seems to be a filter with fixed root notes, scales etc.. active, no matter what I play on the keyboard.

There is also a bug in the latest version. According to the tooltip on the global dice, right-clicking a parameter and choose ADD TO GLOBAL RANDOMIZATION allows or removes it from global randomization. This is not working at all. There is no ADD TO option when I right-click a parameter.
Tested with the latest version of Bitwig and Harmony Bloom.

Second bug generates an endless sustained tone after I release a chord. It stops only by deactivating and re-activating the plugin. Tested with several plugins as a sound source.

enCiphered wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:56 pm Is it possible to deactivate the note filter (scale, root) and note collection of the plugin? I know this sounds a bit weird but I would like to use only the midi generation part of Harmony Bloom to drive my own chords and notes I play on the keyboard.
This is a great idea. Basically a Spiral arpeggiator? Does Spiral do that?

enCiphered wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:56 pm Is it possible to deactivate the note filter (scale, root) and note collection of the plugin? I know this sounds a bit weird but I would like to use only the midi generation part of Harmony Bloom to drive my own chords and notes I play on the keyboard. Whatever I tried so far, there seems to be a filter with fixed root notes, scales etc.. active, no matter what I play on the keyboard.

There is also a bug in the latest version. According to the tooltip on the global dice, right-clicking a parameter and choose ADD TO GLOBAL RANDOMIZATION allows or removes it from global randomization. This is not working at all. There is no ADD TO option when I right-click a parameter.

Second bug generates an endless sustained tone after I release a chord. It stops only by deactivating and re-activating the plugin. Tested with several plugins as a sound source.
Regarding the fact that HB only plays incoming notes is something I want to implement, I think it would be a very interesting option!

Regarding the errors you mention about the random, don't you see this option in most parameters when you right-click on a parameter?

Chek this image pls:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/blxyb9yi ... 6bk8v&dl=0

About the sustained notes, this error is also very uncommon, and since both problems are very rare, I deduce that it has some relation to Bitwig, so I will test in that DAW to check what is happening.

enCiphered wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:56 pm ...I know this sounds a bit weird but I would like to use only the midi generation part of Harmony Bloom to drive my own chords and notes I play on the keyboard.
So you're someone who likes to change key in the course of a composition as well - ? Sadly, this article says, yes, you (and I) are weird: https://www.musicradar.com/news/number- ... -fade-outs
Which I guess explains why so much MIDI software seems to treat locking the user into one key and one key only as something really really good (and why most modern pop music just washes over me).
MarioNietoWorld wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:42 pm Regarding the fact that HB only plays incoming notes is something I want to implement, I think it would be a very interesting option!
Yes. Please. Please please please please please. (See above for why.) :love:

MarioNietoWorld wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:42 pm
enCiphered wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:56 pm Is it possible to deactivate the note filter (scale, root) and note collection of the plugin? I know this sounds a bit weird but I would like to use only the midi generation part of Harmony Bloom to drive my own chords and notes I play on the keyboard. Whatever I tried so far, there seems to be a filter with fixed root notes, scales etc.. active, no matter what I play on the keyboard.

Regarding the fact that HB only plays incoming notes is something I want to implement, I think it would be a very interesting option!

Regarding the errors you mention about the random, don't you see this option in most parameters when you right-click on a parameter?

Chek this image pls:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/blxyb9yi ... 6bk8v&dl=0

About the sustained notes, this error is also very uncommon, and since both problems are very rare, I deduce that it has some relation to Bitwig, so I will test in that DAW to check what is happening.
Thanks Mario, that would be awesome!
My apologies regarding the "add to global randomization" issue. I checked again and now I see the option. But it´s not available for note duration.

This is a subtle feature request for those of us that like to save a lot of incremental presets. :)

Feature Request:
Instead of a blank name field when saving a preset, which requires manually typing each time, the save preset pop up will auto-fill the name field with the Existing Preset Name + 1. So if someone tweaks the preset "Star" and saves the preset, the name field will auto-fill with Star 2. Saving it again will auto-fill with Star 3 and so forth.

A smoother save process like this could help people stay in the flow state of experimenting with the plugin more, and it makes saving variations more of an automatic and fluid process.

I realize you have other coding priorities, so no worries if this is not possible. :)

Thanks again for this amazing plugin!

Just a few low priority feature requests for consideration.

Low Priority
Feature Request: Auto Retrigger ("Pattern Length before retrigger" setting)

A preset might sound great looped for only 1 Bar, and then might get chaotic afterwards.
With the current features, a work around is easy, we can retrigger notes by using midi in the DAW to retrigger whenever we want.

But this feature request would really help preset packs. A preset from 3rd party might intend a pattern to be played for only 1 Bar. And, if the preset looped around that 1 bar only then the artistic intentions of the preset designer are nicely contained in the preset.

Also, this feature would really help this plugin behave the way other Pattern based sequencers/arpeggiators do allowing the keyboard player to hold down a note and get a defined looped pattern.
---------------------
Very Low Priority
Feature Request: Add synced loop lengths 1/32, 1/64, 1/128, 1/256, and an unsynced Hz slider option.

I love taking a rhythm and speeding it up until it goes so fast it becomes its own synth waveform. Right now this effect can be achieved via the synced BMP control, but it would be nice if the loop points could be adjusted too.
---------------------

Sorry for all the feature request notes! I am having hours and hours of fun with this plugin, and new ideas keep popping up. :)

joyneski wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:51 am
enCiphered wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:56 pm ...I know this sounds a bit weird but I would like to use only the midi generation part of Harmony Bloom to drive my own chords and notes I play on the keyboard.
So you're someone who likes to change key in the course of a composition as well - ? Sadly, this article says, yes, you (and I) are weird: https://www.musicradar.com/news/number- ... -fade-outs
Which I guess explains why so much MIDI software seems to treat locking the user into one key and one key only as something really really good (and why most modern pop music just washes over me).
MarioNietoWorld wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:42 pm Regarding the fact that HB only plays incoming notes is something I want to implement, I think it would be a very interesting option!
Yes. Please. Please please please please please. (See above for why.) :love:
Actually, it's technically possible to use different keys with Harmony Bloom by transposing the sequence with the midi input and automating the note collections. Although it's certainly a bit tedious. Regarding triggering the incoming notes, it's a pretty common request, so, although I don't know when I'll have it ready, this task is a high priority!

Thanks Mario, that would be awesome!
My apologies regarding the "add to global randomization" issue. I checked again and now I see the option. But it´s not available for note duration.
I have a new update ready where, among other things, I've added the note duration to the global randomization system. :tu:
Feature Request:Instead of a blank name field when saving a preset, which requires manually typing each time, the save preset pop up will auto-fill the name field with the Existing Preset Name + 1. So if someone tweaks the preset "Star" and saves the preset, the name field will auto-fill with Star 2. Saving it again will auto-fill with Star 3 and so forth.
I like it, I might even add it in the new update.
Very Low PriorityFeature Request: Add synced loop lengths 1/32, 1/64, 1/128, 1/256, and an unsynced Hz slider option.
I love taking a rhythm and speeding it up until it goes so fast it becomes its own synth waveform. Right now this effect can be achieved via the synced BMP control, but it would be nice if the loop points could be adjusted too.
With the current implementation, it's a bit tricky to speed up the sequencer and generate so many midi events in such a short time, but I'll keep your request in mind.
Low PriorityFeature Request: Auto Retrigger ("Pattern Length before retrigger" setting)

A preset might sound great looped for only 1 Bar, and then might get chaotic afterwards.

With the current features, a work around is easy, we can retrigger notes by using midi in the DAW to retrigger whenever we want.

But this feature request would really help preset packs. A preset from 3rd party might intend a pattern to be played for only 1 Bar. And, if the preset looped around that 1 bar only then the artistic intentions of the preset designer are nicely contained in the preset.

Also, this feature would really help this plugin behave the way other Pattern based sequencers/arpeggiators do allowing the keyboard player to hold down a note and get a defined looped pattern.”
I get what you're saying. It's definitely possible as long as the retrigger is enabled and we use MIDI to trigger Harmony Bloom. I have some ideas that align with what you're mentioning, and I'll see how to add them in.

I have an update almost ready (1.1.2), as soon as it's ready I'll send an email to those who already have it and subscribers, but I'll also post it here. If you have any questions or suggestions,please let me know.

Regards.

Mario

Return to “Instruments”