Your next guitar?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

That's the thing about the epi line as a whole and Gibson.

Gibson puts out crappy epi's because it can. They are built to a fault not just a price point. So that some schmuck will buy an epi thinking it's the next best thing. Then when they realize how bad it is they decide to upgrade to the real deal. It's all marketing and it always has been. A few epi's have been made worthwhile but when they are Gibson shuts down production of it's models at that factory.

What's more if the factory is making something better than an epi under a different brand name Gibson will tell them to stop producing. Such as when Epi's were made by Samick and Samick was making better LP copies for less. (I know I have one)
Image I've also had a 78 Gibson LP Custom a 72 Deluxe and a 57 Goldtop. Later after Gibson left Samick to produce Epi's in China Samick went back to building LP copies in a more "traditional shape"

Gibson could demand better quality from it's offshore manufacturers but instead chooses to have them build crap. It's Gibson's specs and Gibsons money paying for epi production. Not the failure of the workers. No didn't always be that way. Prolly since the mid / late 70's

I'm not raging on Gibson workers or guitar workers anywhere and what they are capable of producing given the proper tools / time / skills. I still drool over ES-175's Super 400's L5's and Les Pauls. Not to mention countless other Gibson guitars that bare the name Gibson proudly on the headstock.

I'm a cook. I've cooked at Embassy Suites, Ritz Carlton, Tween Waters Inn and other fine 4 star establishments. I've also cooked at Tavern's, Diners and chains. Cooking doesn't pay that well but it does have one thing. Pride. If I'm not proud of what I'm putting out it doesn't go in the window for a server to take to the table. When you work in this industry there are factors you can't control. The recipe, the ingredients, the amount of time you have to make a given item when you have ten, twenty or even thirty or more items before it and even more after it that needs to be cooked within a given frame.
If you aren't quick you are gone.

I just had an incident yesterday having to deal with Easter Buffet leftovers. The owners wanted me to serve the left overs in place of other stock. I refused. It wasn't that the food was a health risk. It was just that it had turned to crap. Over cooked saute's chicken that had been cooked and cooked again then left out under a heat lamp in front of the general public then refrigerated and he wanted me to resell. It may as well have been chicken jerky that I wouldn't feed to my cat. The owner had made his money on the buffet. That chicken was paid for even if no one ate it. He was more concerned with picking up a little more change by reselling it then the reputation of the restaurant, it's servers and it's cooks. I mean come on someone is telling a server that they have to sell shit with a smile. I almost lost my job. Which is fine a job like that really wouldn't be worth keeping. In the guitar making biz where jobs are scarce and people have to raise a family on crap wages they might not have the option to walk away.

Some people need to be reminded about the values of quality and pride from time to time and others. Others will never comprehend the pride of a job well done and the value it holds to the recipient who also respects the efforts.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

Jim Roseberry wrote:
incubus wrote:
Now I'm thinking about one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClA43tYV4fE

I like this color better though:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ ... h+Ad+Group

I had a Luke III H/S/S for a while ($1200 on blowout sale at GC).
It was a nice instrument (all rosewood neck).
If you're used to Med Jumbo frets, the Luke's are smaller.
That was really the only downside for me.
MusicMan makes some nice instruments.
Yeah, it would have to be something I got my hands on first. Like I said, no hurry. Like the Schecter, one day one will just "show up" magically and I'll get a good deal on it. I like the sound of the one in clip, I don't really care for the EMG versions (though I like EMG just fine)

Ok, so I'm worried I'm gassing like with ibby years ago but.......after the spectacular KM7 purchase, I got a chance to play one of these today:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ ... ric-guitar

It was used. And quite frankly it was not good enough to pay only 150 below the street price and not have a warranty. It was in great condition but it was a long way from where I live (would be able to return it) and it definitely wasn't set up great (way way way TOO straight of a neck) so to take that chance was like.....I'll just get new (see below)

But, like the KM7, it sounded killer. I'm no guru at playing but people took notice. Haven't been able to pin down that it's SS frets, but considering it looks identical to the KM7, I'm guessing they are (why they don't express that as a selling point is beyond me)

It's more "grey" in person, but it's not like "flat black" guitars that get funky looking (my GWB35 get's funky fingerprinty really easy) and though the "grooved" thing is a tad of a put on, it still looks great up close and personal.

My gawd, it's HEAVY! I'm guessing because of the mahogany neck????? But I think it weighs more than my mahogany Carvin :shrug: Really heavy. Very fluid.

The strings were actually new........too new. I couldn't tune the f**king thing :lol: Needed a MUCH heavier set! That's a weird thing about standard or long scale schecters, they are more slinky. Maybe the hipshot?

Anyways, 749 +cali tax and not being under warranty was too rich for my blood considering it's only a 12 mo no finance. 899 (with a minor tax) and full warranty/return with 24 mo financing is a better bet imho. I'd like to get one used and save the cash (the KM7 was a crazy steal) but that just doesn't seem to be a thing.

FWIW, you could get an ESP with EMG's for that price.

Regarding the weight, a lot of Asian ash bodies are quite heavy. It's the American swamp ash that's light.

Uncle E wrote:FWIW, you could get an ESP with EMG's for that price.

Regarding the weight, a lot of Asian ash bodies are quite heavy. It's the American swamp ash that's light.
I don't want emgs. I have those in my strat and they are cool, but that's not what I'm looking for.

Interesting what you say about the two "swamp ash" versions. I'll have to look into that. I like it though. I like something with some girth. It had it. And the look is superb to me. Very striking, like a poor-mans "blackmachine"

I did end up getting that 335. Should be here tomorrow.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

I used to say "pics or stfu!" but I have such awful camera/cell camera I have no business saying that.

Would'nt ming seeing it though.

SJ_Digriz wrote:I did end up getting that 335. Should be here tomorrow.

sweet
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

incubus wrote:I used to say "pics or stfu!" a

Plays as good as it looks too!

Nice!

SJ_Digriz wrote:
Gorgeous.

^ oh, hubba hubba - that is amazing

HNGD
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Not "a guitar" but related.....

So, I don't keep up with ibby stuff much anymore (mostly NOTHING interesting happening, get older or do something else) and saw this:

http://www.amazon.com/Ibanz-UTA20-Ultra ... B00B49QJU6

Now, I'm not sure this would be very good and I'm I'm not convinced that it's more than placebo. But what is appealing is that even if it's not "heavier" it's definitely more mass.

Which means even better "fluttering" maybe :D

Rich want 90 bucks. Too rich (no pun intended) for my blood but will look into it.

Ok, back to regular scheduled programming.

SJ_Digriz wrote:
Screw you. :x

Seriously though that is a great finish for that guitar. very nice!!!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”