Hive 2 is coming!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Hive 2

You know, I have several instruments with DnD but I never think to use it in any of them other than Massive, which you are pretty much forced to if you want to get anything at all done (which is why I almost never use it any more). With Hive, there are dedicated knobs for filter modulation and vibrato, which takes care of 90% of my modulation needs without any DnD, so that benefit is minimal, at best.

I can already make all the sounds I need in Hive without the mod matrix so there are no gains for me there, either. Hive 1.2 is already quite complex, 2.0 is definitely moreso. The benefit of it is that I am easily able to ignore its complexity and concentrate on getting what I want from it. If I'd had to use the mod matrix to get anything done, I would not have bought it.

Hive 2 might be an improvement for some people but from what I've seen it has nothing to offer me. I'd be more likely to pay money for a less complex synth with fewer features than a more complex one with extra features, but that's just me. (It does mean I use Tyrell N6 a lot, though.)
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

In that case, sounds like you are better off staying with 1.2

pdxindy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:08 am
Sinisterbr wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:20 am I have to agree, Hive 1.2 may be a keeper for those who prefer its basics (we'll soon find out. Hahah)
I think the ease of use of 2.0 will win people over, even the ones who don't feel the need for additional LFO's or Envelopes.

In 2.0 you can make sounds without even having to touch the mod matrix. You can drag-n-drop from source (all the sources are now visible) to target and adjust the depth right on the parameter. Version 2 is faster and easier to use. Select a source and see its targets.

Hive 2 is not suddenly complex. It is still all right there on the main page and easier to use than in 1.2
You probably are right. But I'm the kind of user who doesn't have any patience to build up a sound from scratch (unless it's a really basic one), so I always dig into the presets browser until I find something along the lines of what I want, and then tweak it (and that's why Pigments is high on my list right now, in terms of GUI. The modulation display is amazing. You can instantly track down in its graphics what's modulating the sound, as you play it).
Hive 1 GUI is so well thought that I can navigate almost as easily as Pigments, despite it being a little bit simpler synth.

(On a second thought, I do navigate more easily in Hive! I don't like the dark greyish GUI, and the FX section in Pigments. Too confusing)
Last edited by Sinisterbr on Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

BONES wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:27 am
Hive 2 might be an improvement for some people but from what I've seen it has nothing to offer me. I'd be more likely to pay money for a less complex synth with fewer features than a more complex one with extra features, but that's just me. (It does mean I use Tyrell N6 a lot, though.)
TAL-Mod is absolutely amazing. I'm also the king of guy who just looks for simplicity paired with high quality sound.

Not a very inspiring GUI, though, is it? Some of the sound demos sound good, though.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

TAL MOD is absolutely f**king brilliant. Thanks for reminding me that I need to give that a play again sometime soon.
A well-behaved signature.

Yeah Tal-Mod is also one of my favorites......can reproduce most of the roland cloud presets with Tal-Mod, and it's very lean compared to roland plugin loading times and cpu consumtion.

The new Hive 2 GUI is looking very good to me, can't wait to try the new modulations

when i was still using serum i wanted to make my own WT editor in Max which would be more commands based. I don't find Serum's editor intuitive or practical, especially for longer tables. Scripting seems a refreshingly simple approach.
I would appreciate an export to WAV so one could additional treat the script's result externally.

Ploki wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:42 am when i was still using serum i wanted to make my own WT editor in Max which would be more commands based. I don't find Serum's editor intuitive or practical, especially for longer tables. Scripting seems a refreshingly simple approach.
I would appreciate an export to WAV so one could additional treat the script's result externally.
You can load and save .wav from within the script (Import/Export)

pdxindy wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:39 pm
Yorrrrrr wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:08 pm Wavetable creation seems rather pointless (to me). Most of the time I just end up with similar sounding wavetables because I don't know what I'm doing. I prefer when the plugin includes a bunch a useful wavetables made by experts and then I do the rest with the plugin.
Creating wavetables by drawing waveforms does seem like an exercise in futility (except very basic stuff which is usually covered by factory wavetables)... but creating wavetables by resynthesis yields consistently useful results for me. Not that I am advocating that Hive should do that. I already have tools that can and I can import them into Hive. So I'm good to go :)
Which tools do you use?

Will Hive 2.0 have heavier and more dirty detune/unison options compared to Hive 1? Something ala Dune 3 with swarm and its detune/unison options.

No.

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:37 amNo.
Too bad :(

You can detune more heavily by using a constant modulator on detune amount...

Ok, thanks for the tip. Not sure if it would give me the sound I looking for. But it would be more easier if it would have dedicated option for that (unison, global unison, detune)

Return to “Instruments”