How good are Hornet Plugins?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Tricky-Loops wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:12 pm So I could use the Melda Pink/White Noise Generator (it's even free) for it :?:
Dead Duck DD SigGen is free,
most DAWs have a tone/noise generator.

Demo these plugins then draw your own conclusions. I like 'em. I prefer them over other some other brand mentioned in here often. But I also have Bitwig and with the grid I can do anything and everything so I'm not in the need of new plugins all the time.

People, Hornet is doing an early mega Black Friday right now.

The plugins are on discount, and Hornet also put out an extra 30% discount that stacks with everything.

Do this short survey to get the 30% discount code
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... g/viewform

The sale says 50% off but they seem to be discounted by more
https://www.hornetplugins.com/plugins/

Don't miss out. This is the lowest they've ever been. Buy with abandon.

My bad then, got it mixed up too!

So its actually a 60% Sale minus the 30% Voucher for the Survey (which takes like a minute or so).

Very good & generous deal, I would say.
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

Sale is after sale before sale... :P
(I learnt this from Guilherme "Wusik" Kallfelz.)

Hmmnnn...see the sale, still not sure what to buy ....went for the 31 Eq/analyser.

One good thing about Horrnet that I really like is there's no stupid protection or installer redirecting you to the wrong installation path...you just paste the plug-in over......looovvvveeelllly

We've talked about this stuff a few times, but just as a recap of plugins I like:

Total EQ - if you don't have a visual EQ this is a great choice. Lots of cool features that Hornet has been developing over the years.

Meters - VU, LU, handy stuff. Nice big graphics and can be resized to be as large as you want. Also the auto gain can be a time saver or make life much easier for people new to mixing.

Channel Strip - Not my favorite strip on the market but in the contest for sure. The compressors are good, the eq section is versatile but still feels a bit analog/rigid. Nice features to choose between a gritty analog flavor or a clean feel.

31 - requires learning. This is a powerful trick for more specialized situations. But what it does, it's up there with the best you can put on a track.

Tape and Analog stage - I don't use these but they get good marks.

Utility - my favorite utility plugin. I look forward to the next version as Hornet adds more features.

Trackshaper - I did a shootout in this forum and Trackshaper held its own against the bigger boys. Easy 3-clicks mixing if you are looking for that kind of thing.

Guitar Kit - if you play try this out. I haven't used it enough to comment yet on the sounds I'm getting out of it, but it has an interesting set of features.

3X Over - Easy multiband splitter. I use it to pull off DAW tricks on occasion, to turn any effect multiband.

jochicago wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:35 pm We've talked about this stuff a few times, but just as a recap of plugins I like....
Useful list, thanks jochicago

jochicago wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:35 pm Guitar Kit - if you play try this out. I haven't used it enough to comment yet on the sounds I'm getting out of it, but it has an interesting set of features.
It's great - very unassuming, but the sound is there right with the best. :tu:

/* whitenoise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

That's fair. I also don't particularly enjoy the GUIs. The guitar pedals I thought did not sound right. I also work on music that is very different than what Hornet likes (by the videos), and it's a small operation, so I know the things that are designed to taste (like the auto mixer) are being designed to a taste that's quite different than my own.

We don't have to love every plugin. I'd say if you liked the EQ tools, you are probably also going to enjoy Total EQ, and the channel strip.

What could be much better is the combination of the colours. I have my problems with these dark grey and yellow and light green.

Remembers me of the German Kraftwerk song "Neon Light"...

But despite that, I might buy some of it in the future.

/* whitenoise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

The EBU Loudness plugin by Toneboosters is looking pretty similar :?:

I didn't get the ELM128 meter because I have a few from TB, Izotope, plus I like the free Youlean.

From Hornet I use the Utility plugin for peak or rms leveling, and during this promo I bought the LU meter to supplement my metering/leveling options and because I like the size of the graph.

Return to “Effects”