Baby Audio Smooth Operator

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've put the same source through TEOTE, Gullfoss, Soothe2 and Smooth Operator and noticed that no matter the source, each of these applies a different kind of correction curve and over-all approach. This makes sense to me because subjectively I find they each have a different sound to them. Further they each have a different feature set and workflow and I find having them all useful. The one I dont use very much is MSpectralDynamics because I find it harder to dial in anything that sounds better especially compared to these other similar tools.

If there is any similarity, from what I can see, Gullfoss Tame and Smooth Operator are somewhat similar, as are Gullfoss Recover and TEOTE (with appropriate settings). Soothe2 is doing it's own thing. It makes sense that Soothe2 would be an out-lyer as I believe it's focus is resonances vs the other tools which seem to be adjusting vs a reference like white, pink or waterfall noise. :love:
Last edited by plexuss on Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ploki wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:08 pm And it's a game changer...
kinda like:
Gullfoss, Neutron Sculptor, Ozone Spectral Shaper, DSEQ3, Soothe2 and the ultimate: MSpectralDynamics (already a decade old)

f**king GAAIHNEME CHAINGEKER
You forgot the most uber-super-mega-game-changer... BX refinement!!! Wait until Di*k comes up with V2!!!
Lol...
:lol: :hihi:
“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”

escalona wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:55 pm
kinda like:
Gullfoss, Neutron Sculptor, Ozone Spectral Shaper, DSEQ3, Soothe2 and the ultimate: MSpectralDynamics (already a decade old)

You forgot the most uber-super-mega-game-changer... BX refinement!!! Wait until Di*k comes up with V2!!!
Lol...
The best is www.audioflatulence.com which uses PA technology from what I gather from the marketing copy. Power Cord is sort of a spectral processor I'd imagine...

plexuss wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:01 pm
Ploki wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:08 pm
Audioflatulence Power Fart is sort of a analog processor you'd need...
FTFY

Lol...
omg, i bet V2 will have like, two fixed notch filters instead of one

kinda like:

Lol...
A dynamic subtractive 3K peak and a 5K shelf. It was revolutionary for 2014 before anyone really knew what it did (pre-Plugin Doctor... the Dark Ages) :lol:

plexuss wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:01 pm
kinda like:

Lol...
The best is www.audioflatulence.com which uses PA technology from what I gather from the marketing copy. Power Cord is sort of a spectral processor I'd imagine...
That is f-hilarious! Lol! :lol: :lol: :lol:
“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”

how’s the update so far?🙌😁
for those who got the plugin

That earlier "Snake Oil" video that outlined the distortion issue has a sequel. And in what's apparently a first for that channel, the developer (Baby Audio) fixed the issue (as pointed out with the introduction of the high-res mode), and the snake oil moniker has been erased. "Snake Oil" seems a bit harsh for pointing out a bug which amounted to some unwanted distortion - as opposed to "doesn't do anything or work as advertised", but that's his "thing" so whatever - it's still a good channel, IMHO, though he is getting dangerously close to McKayla Maroney meme territory).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAoHxnKFZyY

There's also a great demonstration of case where a tool like this comes handy (for improving an instrument's tone, as opposed to just mix shaping, etc.)

(Also, the old mode is now "classic", but it does seem like this is harmonic distortion, which might actually sometimes be desirable in some cases? Maybe calls it "Vintage" ;) )

I start thinking of these tools as fancy multiband compressors instead of fancy EQs, and they make a lot more sense!

A lot of great info here. \m/

which is the best for taming harmonic vocal spikes?

Soothe

Ok so my understanding is that this or the others are good at getting rid of any high frequencies that are potentially bad to the ear.

That's really interesting

Question is, which one...
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

soothe is overpriced, for what it is

Kinh wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:50 pm soothe is overpriced, for what it is
Maybe, maybe not.
I find it the fastest to work with. Faster than dseq and much faster than melda.
Others aren’t as powerful so not really comparable

Return to “Effects”