There seems to be a trend recently of people charging...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Meffy wrote:Dadgummit, I keep meaning to buy M42. :-( Unfortunately, after paying bills and rent from this month's paycheck, my bank account has exactly $14.05 in it. I'll have to borrow some money from Millie to buy Doru Malaia's ethnic percussion samples, which I promised I'd get.

Very sorry, I really will buy M42 and the T3 Wusik sound set (if that's still available) and zvon's prepared piano. Some day. :-S
"Apology Accepted" said Darth

now what did the fabulous furry freak brothers say if you don't have the rent money? ( if you know...you can REALLY date me :-)

now to be on topic: I think if an SE product took a long time to do, has innovative coding in it, a good set of presets and manual to boot, I think a small price is not too much to ask. However..if they want to do a labour of love and do it for free..then thats cool too...Lord knows I support Free synths too! ( and its kinda funny we got more free synths at Algomusic then paid ones ) Devs like Ian and Bones gives us some great synths..and they COULD charge us for 'em, and I am sure we would not even bat an eyebrow ( facinating)

One of the main reasons that I don't is that I feel that if you are asking people for money you need to provide a certain level of service and I can't weigh that up, along with the all the other administrative hassle, agaisnt the teeny-weeny amount of money I imagine would be generated. But If I had paid for 3rd party modules, and the better developers are all charging for them now, I might consider it just to offset costs. As it stands, however, I don't think my manuals are detailed enough, nor do I put anywhere near an appropriate effort into finishing things to even contemplate charging money. If I were expecting people to pay for synths I would never have released NEOkILLER or any of the synths that have come since then, simply because they don't work properly, so that is another consideraion.
Just look what happenned with the SuperWave guys - they had a responsibility to their customers which they seem to have just walked away from.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

bobbyblank wrote:If everybody that uses e-phonic VST's paid up $20, e-phonic would still be around.
Good point!

Actually, Bones, given the webpage you put up for each synth, you have some of the best "manuals" around. I see your point, though. The Superwave deal is a good example of the difference between a great idea/product and a great business plan.
..what goes around comes around..

cptgone wrote:
bobbyblank wrote:If everybody that uses e-phonic VST's paid up $20, e-phonic would still be around.
Good point!
what did happen to e-phonic?

Wopelka wrote:
cptgone wrote:
Good point!
what did happen to e-phonic?
The man quit, IIRC due to lack of time. Such a shame - I'm glad I donated for RetroDelay (if only to sooth my conscience ;)), recently I've also used Drumatic once or twice. Great stuff.

tconrardy wrote:now what did the fabulous furry freak brothers say if you don't have the rent money?
Long ago, when I lived way out in the country where postmistresses are nosy, for my birthday my sister sent a postcard bearing a full-color depiction of Freewheelin' Franklin sitting in an overstuffed chair declaring his policy on this as Fat Freddy and Phineas peeked around the chair's back. (Or maybe Freddy was in the chair; for some reason or other I forget.)

However, I have neither the one nor the other. :-( C'est la vie, n'est-ce pas?
( if you know...you can REALLY date me :-)
Well... as long as my mate doesn't mind too much, I think a nice, quiet local restaurant would be a good choice. Do you like Italian food?

ouroboros wrote:Actually, Bones, given the webpage you put up for each synth, you have some of the best "manuals" around.
That may be true but I don't feel that they are really of a commercial standard, even if I only charged $5 for something.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote:That may be true but I don't feel that they are really of a commercial standard, even if I only charged $5 for something.
It depends what you mean by commercial standard, if you only charge a small price, then even without in-depth documentation etc. you'd still be providing a good product for the money.

Alex

Has this argument been dragged up again because no one has been asking for Virus and TB303 emulations or how to do the "Benassi Sound" recently? :?

Look we've been through this many, many, many times before, I think you'll find generally most people either agree or disagree although some will be undecided. ;)

now what did the fabulous furry freak brothers say if you don't have the rent money? ( if you know...you can REALLY date me
TC,
Heh heh, I know Freddy's line, so can I date you? :lol: Problem is I got neither right now... :(
There is geometry in the humming of the strings, there is music in the spacing of the spheres. Pythagoras

retropublik wrote:money for horrible looking synths made with synth edit

c'mon people who the f*ck is going to buy something like Syntheway Zephyrus v1.0?

it looks horrible

too many people trying to make a fast buck these days

m

EDIT: i'm kind of aiming this at lots of other 'developers' not just these guys, they were top of the news section
Get back to this subject, you're right.

And all synthedit-made synths should be free!!!! :D

BONES wrote:One of the main reasons that I don't is that I feel that if you are asking people for money you need to provide a certain level of service and I can't weigh that up, along with the all the other administrative hassle, agaisnt the teeny-weeny amount of money I imagine would be generated. But If I had paid for 3rd party modules, and the better developers are all charging for them now, I might consider it just to offset costs. As it stands, however, I don't think my manuals are detailed enough, nor do I put anywhere near an appropriate effort into finishing things to even contemplate charging money. If I were expecting people to pay for synths I would never have released NEOkILLER or any of the synths that have come since then, simply because they don't work properly, so that is another consideraion.
Just look what happenned with the SuperWave guys - they had a responsibility to their customers which they seem to have just walked away from.
Tell me about it. And BTW, are SuperWave still in business or have they closed shop?

TVD wrote:And all synthedit-made synths should be free!!!! :D
Bullshit, Tony.

:D

An instrument/fx's commercial viability is determined by the user-base; if it's worth paying for, they will.

Regard the feeding frenzy over STS-17 and Swamp when they were released. These instruments were perfectly priced in favor of the user to accomodate the instrument's capabilities without insulting the work HG put into them.

Same with M42.

After all my talking-down, I just threw Oberon on for shits and grins this morning and, with some help from some of my eq and "warming" plugs, I thought it sounded quite nice.
Here is my small version:

PLEASE VISIT www.thehungersite.com DAILY AND CLICK THE LINKS. THEY DONATE MONEY TO CHARITY BASED ON AD INCOME. IT'S FREE!

Return to “Instruments”