2020 a year in gear (what have you/are you bought/buying?)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Today I used my first synth, in a manner of speaking.
I bought a Moog Sirin as an investment 1,5 years ago, recently changed my mind, had to wait 3 days for a cable and today... I let this messenger of joy into my heart (after a struggle with a faulty brand new Bespeco MIDI cable).

First impressions:
- the metal casing gets warm
- more versatile than I thought: there's a drone mode hehe
- yay bass, I mean... BASS
- lovely sound
I'm becoming a Moog fanboy.

My Volca Kick and Beats now have to share an input to my audio interface. I can live with that.

I registered it and thereby voided the warranty hehe (Moog only offers 1 year).

The Sirin sounded really good to me in demos, and having put my hands on a Grandmother (not like that! :lol:) for a few minutes, I can see how one might easily be converted to the way of Moog :)

OK, got my plan figured out: Pod 60 and a Tesseract Sweet 16 displace my 16n Faderbank. (If I can work something out where the 16n goes on a stand for MIDI-only use, controlling Fundamental and Bitwig Grid stuff, great!)

My main case has a pair of Meanwell RT65B PSUs, which are pretty weak on the -12V rail. So I fill up the Pod with stuff that is hungry for -12V to take off some of the load. That lets me pick up (maybe next month) a Waver and a Drezno/Jena pair (between them, that's another 170mA on -12V). It also leaves some space for future GAS. If I still run into power issues, I can pop in a 4ms Row Power and run it off the same brick as the Pod.

And then, having expanded my modular setup after I said I wouldn't, I will get drunk and watch videos of people making music with an OP-1 and Cocoquantus :D

Good thing about those RT65B's is, it should be pretty straight forward to swap them out for a Doepfer PSU3 or even the Acopians, if you wanted to anyway. The setup should be fairly similar I would think. *shrug

Novation Peak arrived today, but haven't set it up yet. Pretty much hooked on analog now (after growing to love the DeepMind) and so going into the analog direction from now on.
<list your stupid gear here>

pekbro wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:59 pm Good thing about those RT65B's is, it should be pretty straight forward to swap them out for a Doepfer PSU3 or even the Acopians, if you wanted to anyway. The setup should be fairly similar I would think. *shrug
One PSU3 isn't rated highly enough on the +12V rail to cover my whole case either, so it'd either still be a balancing act or I'd have to get two of them, for $350. I think if I were redoing my case power I'd go with Intellijel or Trogotronic.

Although looking at the spec sheet for the RT65B, even though it says the -12V output is rated for 500mA, it says it can handle up to 1A as long as the total wattage is under 65, and it's more like 22. So I don't think it'll be a serious problem to run it at about 530mA :)

Heard from Distributor and Dealer that my U.D.O. Super 6 poly synth should ship soon.

MSCL arrived and I might be spending the rest of my workday (at home) just sidechaining all the things.

I was going to say something about it blowing up into nasty clipping when you push it too far, but that's not its own fault -- I was slamming into the the +/- 10V limits on my ES-6 :dog: I'm used to VCAs saturating out a bit below that, so I'm gonna have to use a little restraint!

foosnark wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:43 pm
One PSU3 isn't rated highly enough on the +12V rail to cover my whole case either, so it'd either still be a balancing act or I'd have to get two of them, for $350. I think if I were redoing my case power I'd go with Intellijel or Trogotronic.

Although looking at the spec sheet for the RT65B, even though it says the -12V output is rated for 500mA, it says it can handle up to 1A as long as the total wattage is under 65, and it's more like 22. So I don't think it'll be a serious problem to run it at about 530mA :)
Understandable...

If you have a look at the DIY case thread over at Muffs, the latest really nice one (similar to yours
actually) the guy uses the Acopian PSU's, 1 for 12v and 1 for 5v with the busbar distribution. Pretty slick, if I decide to build a bigger case I will prob go that route.

Although, despite what Hinton says, I've never had a problem with noise that I've noticed.

pekbro wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:45 pm Although, despite what Hinton says, I've never had a problem with noise that I've noticed.
Hinton would probably go into a murderous rage if he saw how my studio is set up... with its ONE grounded outlet shared by all my audio gear plus two computers, desk fans, phone chargers, a Nixie Tube clock, etc. :hihi: Nevermind the spaghetti of unshielded cables and adapters linking my modular to my audio interface.

I'm a pretty big believer in letting the music machines be themselves, warts and all... if they're not TOO warty at least.

Purchased:
Behringer - Poly d, Odyssey, VC340, RD-8, TD-3
Roland TR-8s
Kali 8's
UAD Apollo Thunderbolt Twin Duo
Presonus Faderport 8, ATOM

This year has been a sort of return into hardware synths. Bought a used DSI Evolver early in the year and was very excited since I sold my previous unit years ago. So then I thought I'll pair it with an analog poly and managed to score a Dreadbox Abyss from a nearby music store for a really good price, since it had been a demo unit but seems barely used so that's nice. It's quite quirky and I'm using periodically alot and then not at all. But when I fire it up there's always that pretty specific tone it has which finds its way to most tracks.

C-note wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:07 pm Purchased:
Behringer - Poly d, Odyssey, VC340, RD-8, TD-3
Roland TR-8s
Kali 8's
UAD Apollo Thunderbolt Twin Duo
Presonus Faderport 8, ATOM
Purchased or ram-raided a warehouse? That’s a lot of gear in a short space of time. Did lockdown tip you over the edge into getting hardware?

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

cptgone wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:06 pm I registered it and thereby voided the warranty hehe (Moog only offers 1 year).
cant find it now, but dust covers...
you where looking for some.
ive just had a few mil tech shemagh (scarves) delivered.
lightweight, but will keep dust off and are fully washable and dry in no time.
also good for nipping to the shop in a pandemic.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”