who has perfect pitch?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chagzuki wrote:I find it a load of nonsense. Orchestral tuning went up and up over the years: what was middle C to Bach isn't the same frequency that we now call middle C; does that somehow spoil the music? Apparently not.
No, but it might irritate Bach. If you took Picaso's "blue" period and made it into a "green" period, would all of those paintings be spoiled? To those who thought that the blue theme was essential to those paintings it would, but a lot of people would still like them even though they would obviously be based in a different color.
Here is my small version:

PLEASE VISIT www.thehungersite.com DAILY AND CLICK THE LINKS. THEY DONATE MONEY TO CHARITY BASED ON AD INCOME. IT'S FREE!

tony tony chopper wrote:this guy has perfect pitch, and is so happy about it

(private joke)

No, I think he actually just had a Mentos moment. :D

PLEASE VISIT www.thehungersite.com DAILY AND CLICK THE LINKS. THEY DONATE MONEY TO CHARITY BASED ON AD INCOME. IT'S FREE!

what , I find , is even harder , is tryin to review someones music who for some unknown reason came to believe they were a musician , even though they are deaf as a post.
Try doin some reviews of the songs at garageband. Most of it is " flappin bollocks " !!!!
I dont believe in musical snobbery but some people can do it and some cant.
I dont think its essential to have " perfect " pitch , i mean , is it even a proven actuality that it exists. How do ya test that. The person testing would have to have perfect pitch............ so who tested the tester , and who tested the testers tester , and who ... ahhh feck !! arse !!!!!!!!! nuns !! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Kingston wrote:
haydxn wrote:kingston is being a whining grouch
oh well, at least I'm not fighting against estabilished terms and taking sides.
However, none of this has a damn thing to do with musicianship, the ability to sing or play well, or the ability to write brilliant compositions.
But then again, it might. It just seems to me that too many people in this thread who do not have pitch recognition abilities are trying to justify not needing the skill (and hence dissing the concept). Yeah you don't have it, but are you SURE it wouldn't help or make you a better musician.

Seriously. Every little bit helps.
Well, as far as brilliance, Bach, Beethoven and Mozart all had it and they used it in composing. Although if you think Tchaikovsky and Wagner were brilliant, theres a point for relative pitch since they didn't have perfect pitch.

chagzuki wrote:The point is that perfect pitch has next to nothing to do with composition, whereas relative pitch has everything to do with composition.
However, if everyone heard in absolute pitch, that wouldn't be the case.

Bottom line is, if your audience doesn't hear in absolute pitch, then the end product is the same to them whether or not it was composed by someone with absolute pitch. However posessing workable absolute pitch is a powerful tool for the composer simply from a practical standpoint. It makes it easier to find notes, easier to grab complicated chords. Changing key is much easier with the help of absolute pitch sense.

Frippertronix wrote:Although if you think Tchaikovsky and Wagner were brilliant, theres a point for relative pitch since they didn't have perfect pitch.
I'm absolutely sure it was a minor factor why these composers were also different to bach and mozart (not taking into account the hundreds of years between them).

points to either "school".

2NDMOUSE wrote:what , I find , is even harder , is tryin to review someones music who for some unknown reason came to believe they were a musician , even though they are deaf as a post.
Try doin some reviews of the songs at garageband. Most of it is " flappin bollocks " !!!!
I dont believe in musical snobbery but some people can do it and some cant.
I dont think its essential to have " perfect " pitch , i mean , is it even a proven actuality that it exists. How do ya test that. The person testing would have to have perfect pitch............ so who tested the tester , and who tested the testers tester , and who ... ahhh feck !! arse !!!!!!!!! nuns !! :cry: :cry: :cry:
? If you played a note on the piano to a person with absolute pitch, he would tell you what note you played. YOu could try that with a variety of notes, and the person would tell you the correct pitch every time. But you're either saying that this would not constitute proof, or that you don't believe that people could do that. In the first case, your argument is too subtle for me to understand it, in the second, you are quite deluded.

The tester would obviously not have to have perfect pitch to see that he just hit a c#...

Frippertronix wrote:
chagzuki wrote:The point is that perfect pitch has next to nothing to do with composition, whereas relative pitch has everything to do with composition.

Bottom line is, if your audience doesn't hear in absolute pitch, then the end product is the same to them whether or not it was composed by someone with absolute pitch. However posessing workable absolute pitch is a powerful tool for the composer simply from a practical standpoint. It makes it easier to find notes, easier to grab complicated chords. Changing key is much easier with the help of absolute pitch sense.
Actually, I think that if your audience doesn't hear in absolute pitch, then the end product would not NECESSARILY be the same, they would just not be able to define the difference explicitly in pitch. The definition of absolute pitch doesn't imply that one without it cannot have different reactions to things played at different pitches.

this is not so much a matter of belief, but a matter of logic.

Some good arguments. I overstated things a little (was actually completely drunk after a night out :hihi: ).
Kingston, I don't disagree with you. I was just pointing out that the concept of perfect pitch isn't as clearly delineated as one might have thought, you might have it to a degree. Often people talk about it as something you simply have or don't, but I don't think that's true.

Anyhow, my bottom line is always the same. Make the music you want to and develop your skills by making it. If you have something resembling perfect/absolute pitch, and if it helps, cool.
Every day takes figuring out all over again how to f#ckin’ live.

chagzuki wrote:Some good arguments. I overstated things a little (was actually completely drunk after a night out :hihi: ).
Kingston, I don't disagree with you. I was just pointing out that the concept of perfect pitch isn't as clearly delineated as one might have thought, you might have it to a degree. Often people talk about it as something you simply have or don't, but I don't think that's true.

Anyhow, my bottom line is always the same. Make the music you want to and develop your skills by making it. If you have something resembling perfect/absolute pitch, and if it helps, cool.
I think it's unfortunate that more people don't relaize you are right about your second paragraph. It's not either/or and I strongly feel that all pitched music makers will benefit from improving their (already existing---even if they don't realize it) sense of absolute pitch.

Seriously, there are a number of methods (and some software out there as well), so I feel strongly that everyone with any interest at all should look into it.

Dave

I got the famous 'perfect pitch' course and also his relative pitch course. I've much more benefit from the relative pitch when it comes to jamming in addition to my own compositions.

droolmaster0 wrote:
Frippertronix wrote:

Actually, I think that if your audience doesn't hear in absolute pitch, then the end product would not NECESSARILY be the same, they would just not be able to define the difference explicitly in pitch. The definition of absolute pitch doesn't imply that one without it cannot have different reactions to things played at different pitches.

this is not so much a matter of belief, but a matter of logic.
but completely irrelevant, init? I mean face it perfect or absolute pitch doesn't effect what the audience hears...you're gonna use a tuner or at least be proficient at tuning (which is not perfect pitch)..perfect pitch assuming one has it, truly benefits the artist not the audience...besides perfect pitch means perfect note recognition...so one with perfect pitch watching a band tuned a half step low would recognize the E as Eb right away. So different tunings and relative pitches will still be recognized as the note they in fact are even if they are off..."that's an Ab, but it's a little sharp"...;)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote:you're gonna use a tuna
But of course!
Image[disclaimer: Meffy is in not associated with Fur Peace Station or Ranch... but likes the name.]

oh dear lord! :shock:

:lol:

glad we got this thread back on topic from that subjective ye or nay mess.

Meffy wrote:
Hink wrote:you're gonna use a tuna
But of course!
Image[disclaimer: Meffy is in not associated with Fur Peace Station or Ranch... but likes the name.]
I saw them with bobby and the midnights and chick korea (sp)..I had a T shirt with the tour dates on the back. My grandmother asked what the hell hot tuna was...I told her it was the worlds biggest sandwich and those were the dates you could get some of the sandwich...she walked away saying "that's disgusting"...

at the same time I had a huge hicky on my neck from a very strange night and a girl I don't know (don't ask, one of those nights), my mother made a comment and I used the muffler burn joke...my grandmother then yelled out "bullshit, you can't fool me...that's a hicky"...to picture her think granny from beverly hillbilly's, but not a hick (pun not intended, but a good one)...very spry...:)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Return to “Music Theory”