Well? Falcon vs. Omnisphere 2

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Falcon Omnisphere 1 Omnisphere 2

Thank you for the link. Unfortunately, I couldn't really confirm what I want to confirm. Thanks anyway!

That was really nice of you to go into great depth there, Wags. Kudos. :)

In terms of Omni, Spectrasonics is extremely generous in their updates, where they often add a lot of new features / presets / sound sources without waiting for a new paid version. You get the talent of Eric Persing and his crew. Plus there's enough in there to keep one busy for a very long time. Good stuff.

So, I've got about $250 together. I applied for/ was granted the dinosaur-crossgrade $50 discount on Zebra 2, and am planning on finally grabbing that, as well as Zebra HZ. ($248) Being the huge fan of both Cliff Martinez and Mac Quayle that I have been for such a long time... the prospect of finally having Zebra (with compressors per lane/ Diva filters (not to mention the resonator)) AND having a free upgrade to Zebra 3 when that happens (hopefully soon) is ... altogether too exciting.

That said, as I'm currently a student, I could get UVI Falcon at a 30% discount which sounds fairly enticing as well.

I'm just curious to know if owners of both would be willing to share their opinion(s). -nod-

(Disclaimer: I do have both Omnisphere 2 AND Serum.)

macmuse wrote:In terms of Omni, Spectrasonics is extremely generous in their updates, where they often add a lot of new features / presets / sound sources without waiting for a new paid version. You get the talent of Eric Persing and his crew. Plus there's enough in there to keep one busy for a very long time. Good stuff.
Falcon already received two major updates, which added several new features, and all were free :shrug:
Fernando (FMR)

An article in SoundBytes that compares their features (and HALion 5 too) can be found here:
http://soundbytesmag.net/threehighendhy ... omparison/

Is there a Dr. of step-sequencer-ology in the house? Since there is no Omni manual available, and Falcons manual barely mentions the step envelope, can anyone compare the two synths based on their stepper capabilities? HALion5 promised great things but prefers to crash my DAW.

Length of patterns - 16, 32, 64, 128? CC lanes? Random strike/pitch (constrained)/velocity? (Self-randomizing, not where I have to press a stupid button every time around)? Multiple patterns accessible via keyswitch? Transpose-able?

Details, please.... I need details to get myself off.....

Get them BOTH
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Moog Matriarch/Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/DM12
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

Protocol_b wrote:Is there a Dr. of step-sequencer-ology in the house? Since there is no Omni manual available, and Falcons manual barely mentions the step envelope, can anyone compare the two synths based on their stepper capabilities? HALion5 promised great things but prefers to crash my DAW.

Length of patterns - 16, 32, 64, 128? CC lanes? Random strike/pitch (constrained)/velocity? (Self-randomizing, not where I have to press a stupid button every time around)? Multiple patterns accessible via keyswitch? Transpose-able?

Details, please.... I need details to get myself off.....
Falcon has arps which can be inserted either on layer or program level, these provide patterns up to 128 steps, step lengths, 26 different modes including various random ones, resolution from 1/64 triplets to 32 bars, dedicated lanes for CC, arp velocity can be blended with the played velocity or one can use either/or, multiple patterns can be setup in different layers which can then be key-switched. Self-randomization is not implemented. One can also setup split keyzones, each one using a different arp.

Then Falcon also has re-triggering steppers (up to 128 steps, bipolar or unipolar) and multi-envelopes (freely drawable, synced to a grid or not, loop in release can be activated) on keygroup level, useful for setting up gated sequences, pitch sequences, switched LFO speeds or quantization grids and whatnot. And it also has mappers which - amongst other things - can e.g. be used for creating pitch sequences when used in conjunction with LFOs/steppers/multi-envelopes. And Falcon has a Midi player which plays standard Midi files via the keyboard.

And the good thing is: one can use as many of these modulators and arps a desired, there is no technical limitation until your CPU or brain explodes, or both.

Here is a video demo of switching arp patterns via key-switches in Falcon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXF9mwP ... _&index=13
Last edited by Sampleconstruct on Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

Can both of these synths make supersaw and hypersaw? If yes, how do they sound? Never heard any example...

Can't speak for Omni, but as is mentioned often: Falcon can basically use as many oscillators (or basically anything else) as your CPU can maintain. So if you want to layer two million saw oscillators, detune them and run them through choruse effects and whatnot, you can create a gigagagasaw.

One of the things i love in Omnisphere more are the modulation (but not the workflow which is better in Falcon) and one of my favourite Omnisphere features which Falcon (and most other synths) doesn't have is that it let me blend between different patches (in a multi) via midi cc.
Falcon is great but it's sitting unused here because i always grab for Omnisphere if i need a hybrid.
Of course Falcon is much more advanced if you want to load in multi-samples yourself.
Omnisphere won't let you do that.

HcDoom wrote:Can both of these synths make supersaw and hypersaw? If yes, how do they sound? Never heard any example...
There is a Falcon expansion called Spectre - here is a demo of it, some hypersaw thingie at 0:30

https://soundcloud.com/uvi-official/spe ... 00-spectre

Nothing to write home about tbh.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Cinebient wrote:One of the things i love in Omnisphere more are the modulation (but not the workflow which is better in Falcon) and one of my favourite Omnisphere features which Falcon (and most other synths) doesn't have is that it let me blend between different patches (in a multi) via midi cc.
Not to be contrary, but if I understand you correctly, this can be achieved in Falcon in several ways.

For starters you could load up as many patches as you desire in the tree and assign a midi cc to the volume of the patches. You can accomplish custom blending of these by using positive, negative, ratio, sequenced...on the assignment values.

A lfo assigned to the volumes can be tailored to the needed situation where as one volume fades up the other fades out.

Creative scripting must be able to be employed to obtain the desired result, but this is only my speculation as I have not attempted this.

Dillinger wrote:
Cinebient wrote:One of the things i love in Omnisphere more are the modulation (but not the workflow which is better in Falcon) and one of my favourite Omnisphere features which Falcon (and most other synths) doesn't have is that it let me blend between different patches (in a multi) via midi cc.
Not to be contrary, but if I understand you correctly, this can be achieved in Falcon in several ways.

For starters you could load up as many patches as you desire in the tree and assign a midi cc to the volume of the patches. You can accomplish custom blending of these by using positive, negative, ratio, sequenced...on the assignment values.

A lfo assigned to the volumes can be tailored to the needed situation where as one volume fades up the other fades out.

Creative scripting must be able to be employed to obtain the desired result, but this is only my speculation as I have not attempted this.
But it´s a mess then!
In Omnisphere i just load up to 8 patches into a multi and just switch the mode on via 1-2 clicks...ready!
I also can create custom crossfading on the same screen then in a few seconds.
Falcon is great but there are a few things which might be possible but needs so much settings, clicking, searching...whatever, nah!

Return to “Instruments”