One Synth Challenge #111: Crust by Eugene Yakshin (Jasinski Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

generaldiomedes wrote:Is that in Zimbabwean dollars ??
Probably, since I was told many years ago to get a Zimbabwean bank account because Switzerland had too much money already. Freaking Craigslist!
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

progtronic wrote:HOLY CRAP?! WAS THAT A TAPESTOP??!!

NO! ha That was a "I had no idea that the tape speed knob on JB Ferrox did that! Always thought it had to do with ips until I finally moved it in a mix. I hate tape stops and left it as a joke, but I completely understand if I get disqualified for insubordination. The whole time I'm thinking 'this is gonna backfire'. :scared:

....unless, of course, you were not referring to me....in which case, I did massive amounts of modulation to every parameter of all instances of JUCE to achieve a pseudo tape stop effect :D....with puppet show

Why is the developer banned?

I tried to find out, there is a discussion here

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=504604

We might need to discuss Crust issues on his Facebook site

https://www.facebook.com/hvoyaaudio/

I sent a PM on Facebook...

Tj Shredder wrote:I tried to find out, there is a discussion here

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=504604

We might need to discuss Crust issues on his Facebook site

https://www.facebook.com/hvoyaaudio/

I sent a PM on Facebook...
Wow TJ, some of those folks went a little off the deep end. Maybe since they were looking in from the outside?

Any more news?

Crust is a drum synth dream. I'm going metal drums this month that are starting to sound like Slate SSD...well at least in my head

Would love to see this thread sticky-fied...

here's my contribution
guess i missed the target audience by a long shot :)

https://soundcloud.com/mikael-edlund/d34dmeat-3-fingers

mabey a bit too experimental, got inspired by the somewhat orcherstral sound i got.
8 instances of crust
a1StereoControl
3 st TDR feedback Compressor ii
7 st EpicVerb
RandARP
JSresonant Lowpass
TAL Filter2
readelay

TheNeverScene wrote:Crust is a drum synth dream. I'm going metal drums this month that are starting to sound like Slate SSD...well at least in my head
That's a good sign, indeed. You drums are always top-notch, so if you say so, I believe they do!
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

@d34dmeat: There is no target audience here. I think we all can get into most styles. Great sounds btw I love that panning tabla bass.

@schiing: Thanks for the confidence boost! I dunno, here's my WIP. Please excuse my attempt at synthtars and I still plan on a polyrhythmic breakdown among other things. I really love Crust. Glad there's still plenty of time to tinker.

*deleted link to WIP*
Last edited by TheNeverScene on Sun May 27, 2018 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheNeverScene wrote:@schiing: Thanks for the confidence boost! I dunno, here's my WIP. Please excuse my attempt at synthtars and I still plan on a polyrhythmic breakdown among other things. I really love Crust. Glad there's still plenty of time to tinker.
Very, very good stuff so far! :D

And thanks for making me aware that I had entirely forgotten to activate a crucial eq chain on my own track - my Crust entry started autoplaying after yours, and damn, it 's a hollow wreck. TrojakEW wasn't kidding when he said that some frequencies were missing in my mix! I might never have noticed if not for that juxtaposition :-) I'll have to fix that tomorrow. Btw, your mixes are really solid and clear, even at early stages. Mine rarely come together at all until the finishing phases. Any particular tricks to share?? :hyper:
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Man, don't use my mixes as a reference! You will only regress! HAHA I like my mixes open and in your face without too much layering, but that is good and bad, because I also enjoy hearing tracks with a ton of elements, as well as warm, no frills tracks that are just plain good. My only advise (I don't even feel right saying that to you) would be don't be afraid to process things. I generally get a few things sounding the best I can before continuing on. I know there are well placed rules, so don't do any tapestops :D, but we spend soooo much time in the OSC that I try to make it sound as "polished", and I use that term lightly, as I can. If I'm doing a tune for OSC, I basically have zero time for any other musical ventures....and I'm always doing a tune for OSC.

I'm actually enjoying the "exercise" of not having a controller and monitors, but man I wish I did with Crust.

Thanks! On the contrary, I think I do have something to learn from you! If you knew me well, you probably wouldn't say that I shouldn't be afraid to process things, though, haha - 2018 is my "trying to scale it back a bit and keep it simple year." Not really succeeding!

In this instance, though, I had used SlickEQ and some other stuff to really widen the frequency range on the master, but everything was deactivated upon mixdown, so there's too much mid-frequency on the version that's up on Soundcloud now. I used a cheap pair of headphones when I exported the track, because all the work was done earlier, so I didn't notice that the sound was off... it sounds kind of decent on a pair of Koss headphones or a standard stereo, but the imbalance was very obvious when I played it back on my studio gear :)

LOL....I'm was speaking in terms of the OSC. Scale it on up to your normal self! :) But I know what you mean.

I say I miss my controller and monitors, but TBH, I think my monitors may be problematic for me...and have been for a looooong time. It's too easy to make them sound good, so I think headphones only is helping me for the time being. I feel like I'm flying blind, though.

I can't tell you how many times I've rendered with things deactivated :/ "What the heck is missing" ha. When I started using this laptop, there was this night and day difference between playback in Reaper and playback in Windows Media Player. It was BAD! I was chasing ghosts all over the place, and finally a Google search led me to disabling "enhancements" in WMP. How they consider whatever it is they are extra processing an enhancement is mind boggling. I was about to smash this thing, but all is well now. Actually, now that I think about it, I think the enhancements thing was a soundcard thing. Nonetheless, it stank.

TheNeverScene wrote:@d34dmeat: There is no target audience here. I think we all can get into most styles. Great sounds btw I love that panning tabla bass.

@schiing: Thanks for the confidence boost! I dunno, here's my WIP. Please excuse my attempt at synthtars and I still plan on a polyrhythmic breakdown among other things. I really love Crust. Glad there's still plenty of time to tinker.

https://soundcloud.com/the-never-scene/ ... rust-metal
Amazing sound designing skills you possess, Sir! :tu:

Those drums #JUSTWOW :love:

(p.s. why this thread is still not stickeyed?)

TheNeverScene wrote:LOL....I'm was speaking in terms of the OSC. Scale it on up to your normal self! :) But I know what you mean.
Haha, I was, too! But yeah, it's a statement that works on multiple levels - I'm subconsciously profound :lol:

Return to “Instruments”