eXT Consistency thread (FRs)

Official support for: energy-xt.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

[stuck by DarkStar ... 21 Sept]
I see a lot of FR's and comments around XT are to do with more consistancy. I personally agree with a lot of these FRs and think maybe it could be a good idea to have a thread dedicated to this topic.

To kick off:

It would be nice if all browsers worked in a similar way with the same favourites system and memory of latest file path.

Also:

Would be good if all zoom functions in all comps worked in a similar way

i.e.
double clicking the zoom icon in the sequencer will zoom out / in to match the highlighted clip size whereas this does not happen in the audio part.

there is ongoing improvement in this area :hail:
(e.g. alt-click for notes and cc, n for muting notes and clips ...)
Last edited by plastique on Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plastique wrote:there is ongoing improvement in this area :hail:
(e.g. alt-click for notes and cc, ctrl+n for muting notes and clips ...)
Agree, but it doesn`t hurt to point further in the right direction :)

Just checking after you posted (as I don`t use XT for sequencing generally but as a plug in)

Ctrl + M mutes clips here

N mutes individual notes

(26th aug beta)

so are you requesting a change?

oops i meant "n" - no change necessary of course !
CTRL+M is for parts as i see it (there needs to be a difference here because of the inplace editing i guess) - could be CTRL+N though ? :)

Ahh Ok, had my parts and clips mixed up then!

Almost sounds quite painful :shock:

Edit:
plastique wrote:...(there needs to be a difference here because of the inplace editing i guess) - could be CTRL+N though ? :)
Guess that would be slightly more consistant :)

i know what you mean , confused myself over them a few times as well a while ago, but one has to learn that because the seq is quite modular itself it's necessary to differ. I'll try to pin down the terminology :

Tracks can contain as

- audio tracks:
several parts, which each can contain several clips (on different channels)
- midi tracks:
several parts, which each can contain several notes and data (quite obvious eh ? :D )

from this hierarchical point of view audio and midi are quite similar actually.

Cheers plastique,

Good to know the accurate names, which should help with communication on this forum for me in the future! :) (and with the coming soon lists aswell :D)

Multimode arrangments tracks should work the same as midi and audio tracks.

Text entry fields should work like Microsoft text entry fields.

Audio preview in the insert sample dialog.

- Add/remove midi ports to sequencer from comp's right click menu
Right now, it's very inconsistent with the workflow for the audio equivalent.

- Make it so that right clicking on a part in a midi comp gives you the option to delete it
This is at odds with the rest of XT - since the multiple part display looks so similar to the main mixer, you expect to have the same option.

- Make it so that a selected layer/slicer is can be deleted with either delete or ctrl+del
I've noticed that everything selectable in XT can be deleted with one of these two commands, but the sampler is an exception.
Last edited by robenestobenz on Sat Oct 08, 2005 3:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

• Main Mixer: in the mixer, you can replace VSTs that are in the Sequencer, but not VST comps.
  • Event List: Ctrl+click selects multiple items here, everywhere else it is Shift+click. Can this be Shift-click too?
  • VST Parameters - are shown with item numbers in the CC Map window drop-down lists but without item numbers in the VST Show Param drop-down lists, can the item numbers be added?
  • All windows -the Resizer button does not have a bmp or colour associated with its pushed state (the other window controls do).
  • Main Mixer: to open the context menu for a VSTi or a VST FX you right-click its name area, but for a VST parameter you click its menu button [...]; can we just click its name area? Then there is no need to the [...] button.

Ability to add ins, outs and sends from the outside of a mixer, differnt than sequencers'.

play button on Audio part is missing, but there on midi part.

Play button on mixer for midi and audio parts missing, but sequencers' got them.

Slicing available in sampler but not in audio clips.

Sequencer GUI not refreshed while changing tempo of sequencer, but clip GUI is when changing pitch of audio.

Mixer component levels not available in main mixer, but sequencers' are.

Audio editors' envelopes are linear, not like automation envelopes.

EQ inserts are not automatable.

Volume is automatable but not sends.

This is an excellent thread and helps making eXT a bit more polished and professional (instead of feeling like a million good half-finished ideas). Can't add anything else than mouse drag support that should be added everywhere in the program to make eXT feel a bit more home in the modern windowed/mouse driven OS.

- bManic

Holding the mouse button down on the arrows of a scrollbar should repeat scrolling line by line until the mouse is released. It works correctly for horizontal scrolling in the sequencer, but not elsewhere.

Selecting a menu from the menu bar and then moving over the next menu should hide the first and display the next.

These are minor issues at best, but they add that little extra polish.

Return to “energyXT”