Self-oscillating filters?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well, I was thinking of a program that has modular capabilities so i could include them in my own synthesizer patch design, such as in reaktor, tassman, or maxmsp

Nice gui and interesting concept, Admiralquality, but can't really evaluate the sound as the output is very quiet.

I quite like the sound of self-oscillating filters on the Evolver. I might post a sample later, but I tend to forget these sort of promises :shrug:

just try out Volcano and get on with it. :)

Vaz modular filters self oscillate with true analogue behavior- I am working right now with a patch that I made that uses self-oscilating filters to produce 'wood-block' style timbres- I have never heard another VST capable of creating auythentic and rich woodblock filter oscillation that responded musically- I tried it in the Moog Modular V and the results sounded like arse- no fleshy wet wood sound at all- It didn't respond accurately to keyboard notes- nothing

sample some and show us! :)

pakana wrote:Nice gui and interesting concept, Admiralquality, but can't really evaluate the sound as the output is very quiet.
That's a new one, what host software are you using? Also, are you sure the Output Saturation control is turned all the way to zero? That might be the cause. Turn it all the way down and it'll snap off and get loud.

The filter doesn't attenuate frequencies below the cutoff at all, and if anything, it makes output levels that are way too loud when the resonance is turned up and howling. That's what the Output Saturation control was put there to rein in, but you may also use your favorite compressor somewhere down the signal chain or simply lower the track's volume in the mix.

steffensen wrote:sample some and show us! :)
ask and ye shall receive

http://www.setai-transmedia.com/mp3s/vaz1.mp3

no oscillators were used in the sound- only as modulators- 100% of the sound comes from manipulating a self-oscillating filter- I have never been able to produce these kinds of authentic analog results on any other soft synth modular-

0:00-0:28: self-oscillating filter sequence

0:29-1:07: audio-rate modulation of filter cutoff by oscillator [the only oscillator used in the patch!]

1:08- 1:45 sequencer clock is increased into audio frequencies turning the sequencer into a waveform generator-

setAI wrote:
steffensen wrote:sample some and show us! :)
ask and ye shall receive

http://www.setai-transmedia.com/mp3s/vaz1.mp3

no oscillators were used in the sound- only as modulators- 100% of the sound comes from manipulating a self-oscillating filter- I have never been able to produce these kinds of authentic analog results on any other soft synth modular-

0:00-0:28: self-oscillating filter sequence

0:29-1:07: audio-rate modulation of filter cutoff by oscillator [the only oscillator used in the patch!]

1:08- 1:45 sequencer clock is increased into audio frequencies turning the sequencer into a waveform generator-

really cool stuff!
im making similar things with my modular synth as well, i havent been able to get the filter to selfoscillate without any osc's goin thru it tho. gonna have to explore that option more. :)

thanks for sharing man, perhaps i should try out VAZ as well. :hihi:

'self-oscillation' means a feedback gain over 1.0, and saturation or limiting.

http://xhip.cjb.net/temp/xhipshit101.mp3 average demo of that.

so far what i read about "inconsistancies" or etc made me stain these pants.

ok, Volcano does selfoscillate without any osc's goin thru it, but im mostly been using my creamware modular for this. gonna try it out with Volcano for a bit now. bbl. :D

AdmiralQuality wrote: That's a new one, what host software are you using? Also, are you sure the Output Saturation control is turned all the way to zero? That might be the cause. Turn it all the way down and it'll snap off and get loud.

The filter doesn't attenuate frequencies below the cutoff at all, and if anything, it makes output levels that are way too loud when the resonance is turned up and howling. That's what the Output Saturation control was put there to rein in, but you may also use your favorite compressor somewhere down the signal chain or simply lower the track's volume in the mix.
I use energyXT. Yes, I tried it with the Output sat off, and also fully on. Naive lowers the track volume even when the filter is wide open. If I get stupid with the resonance, it clips fiercely before getting loud, as if there was a limiter. But I managed to get some astonishingly pure and deep bass resonance from the filter :love: only if it were a bit louder.

pakana wrote:I use energyXT. Yes, I tried it with the Output sat off, and also fully on. Naive lowers the track volume even when the filter is wide open. If I get stupid with the resonance, it clips fiercely before getting loud, as if there was a limiter. But I managed to get some astonishingly pure and deep bass resonance from the filter :love: only if it were a bit louder.
Hmmmm, that's the first I've heard of that. I will have a new version out in (I hope) a few days and posting a thread to announce it, so lets pick this up again then.

Glad you like the sound, don't worry, we'll get it working for you. :)

Thanks, AdmiralQuality, looking forward to that.

setAI, that is superb from a VSTi! Have to re-evaluate VAZ now :)

Here was a quicky demo on DSI Evolver's analogue filters in this touchmyself-state. First 30 secs or so is just the dual Curtis chips driven by the internal sequencer, then some pointless LFO noodling that gets pretty loud, so watch your levels. The noodlings are spiced with some feedback and a tiny dash of internal (digital) distortion.

I'm was not able to keep it long online, especially on this forum, sorry.

[edit: took the file out as nobody wanted to listen to it.]

here's a quick demo of one of my lead/pad patches in VAZ- just a basic synth with a little phaser and some feedback from the filter doing subtle FM on one of the oscillators-

http://www.setai-transmedia.com/mp3s/vaz2.mp3

sounds nice as well setAI. :)
feedback from the filter u say?
filter Out -> same filter In?

Return to “Instruments”