Say Ahh please

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sorry to be a Pain guys :o but I would really like a few of you to check this one out for me.. (please)

http://www.ianweb.dial.pipex.com/v-box.zip

A little bit of calm after the insanity of MaTricks.. :wink: :D :D

p.s. I know that some of the labels don't line up but the GUI is a little way away at the mo..

Lotsa fun. I want more vowels, though!

I guess you mean more control over the vowels as there is only AEIOU (just ask Freeez). I have uploaded a later version with another filter in series which may give you what you want...

ATB

Actually, I meant more vowel sounds. You know, long a, short a, etc.

aaaaah I seeeeeee :D
Actually the vowel filter is developed by somebody other than I so, unless they build that functionality in then we will have to rely on the other (conventional SV) filter to adjust the tone of the vowel, sorry its not ideal I know :cry:

atb

Ian

ps any other takers or feedback?

Neat little synth Ian - I take it you found another module version of the vowel filter? ;) I haven't bene back to find out why my modules are behaving weirdly yet...will get to it at some point.

Only one thing about this synth...it doesn't half use a lot of CPU for some reason. I'm using a 1.8ghz Athlon and with just two voices it's up to 10% CPU in Cubase. I wouldn't of thought it should be that intensive.
Audiose
-----------------
audiose synths
http://www.audiose.com/

uses 24& on p4 2ghz

:)

but nice again :)

Vowel filter: yes, audiose, Unkargherth has recoded the filter, but I think he's probably started from the same source as you did so you couldn't have been too far away from it. I'm guessing the real challenge here would be to make the formants sweepable rather than limited to the 5 static shapes

CPU usage: theres about 5 or 6 oscillators and two filters 'under the lid' and the delay module is notorious for using CPU. But I take your point that things could be improved. I will have a look at optimising when I get home tonight, and seeing if I can't sharpen its act up a bit, To be honest I only tend to look at the CPU issues after I've glued everythning together, which, I admit, is probably the wrong way round of doing it.

TO be honest I will be suprised if I can get the CPU much below 15% on my P4 1.7. I've currently got the plugin running with 4 voices but because of the nature of the long release type of sounds that this plug-in will probably be used for I don't think it will be practicle to drop it any more. Perhaps I might try a few denormal modules in the design (although I'm not convinced that they make a whole lot of difference). Hopefully using the individual modules CPU meters I might be able to spot the problems.

Thanks for the help and comments guys...

atb

Ian
Last edited by ianweb123 on Wed Jan 08, 2003 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hi all

Seems to be a pretty high interest in this module

Remeber It's a beta and more funcionallity coudl be added in future
Would you all try to agree a list of wishes for the module, by priority order
so i can investigate further posiblities for it ?

By now, I'm slowly progressing ( discarding versions) on Vowel Morphing

On the sweeping formants issue. This requires a whole new module. Sweeping the formants implies "loosing" the "vowel taste" of the filter ( in fact a The vowel sound is deived from a precise fromant settings for each vovel). In any case, if there's enough interest, i could give it a try (Advise: Probably, it will be real CPU Killer !!!)

Another aproximation to this will be a "Formant" Oscilator, but before this, i nedd to code a highly optimized Oscilator bank, with, at least, six oscillators inside. So by now ( and near future) seems imposible.

Unkargherth

Seems to be a pretty high interest in this module
..that must be a sign that you've done a fine job on it, Unkargherth

..I can guess the answer before I ask, but instead of interpolating between the vowel shapes what if there were 3 ( I think you'd only really need the AEO) static formant filters within the module but we had the ability to adjust their volumes on the fly.. I realise I could already do this with separate vowel modules but I am struggling with CPU as it is, so... :D

ATB

Ian

[quote="ianweb123"]

..I can guess the answer before I ask, but instead of interpolating between the vowel shapes what if there were 3 ( I think you'd only really need the AEO) static formant filters within the module but we had the ability to adjust their volumes on the fly.. I realise I could already do this with separate vowel modules but I am struggling with CPU as it is, so... :D
[/quote]

Tried it. But this outputs "vowel mixing". That's not what i'm looking for:

I'm trying to morph vowels. What kind of sound it's this? Follow the instructions below to emulate "manually"

1.- Open your mouth
2.- Pronounce a very long A
3.- Whithout stopping the sound, morph your mouth slowly to make the "A" becomes" "O"
4.- Try it several times using diferent vovwels
5.- Congratulations !! You have finished building a nature-analogic vowel filter with vowel morphing !!!!

(If you can do this following the beta of your heart, you get a host-synced morphing vowel filter) :-D

By now i ve found a way to do it that works perfectly, except when morphing From "A" to "U" or from "U" to A". In this cases, seems like all of off your neighborhood sing the previous exercise at random and crazy high pitch in a highly reflectant Metallic Bell of 1 full mile of width !!!

Investigation continues !!!

Return to “Modular Synthesis”