FR: More randomness in LiveSlice

Official support for: livelab.dk
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm not sure if this has been discussed already, but my favorite feature in LiveSlice is the per-slice probability parameter. I would love to see this concept applied to the other per-slice parameters. In other words, I would like the option to specify a value range from which a random value will be chosen each time a slice is triggered. So, for example, rather than selecting a specific pitch for a slice, I would like to specify an upper and lower pitch range, and a new random pitch will be chosen each time the sequencer loops around and gets to that slice. Same for volume, pan, etc. Similar to the way the current randomization range function works, but dynamically applied each time a slice is triggered.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

that's a great idea - I use randomness in my own stuff all the time, so I'm game. If time was not an issue this would be implemented by tomorrow :-) unfortunately time is an issue, but I'll add your suggestion to the list.

Any more suggestions on randomness are welcome. One idea I had was to allow layering of slices on one track and assign different probabilities to each slice. People have been requesting slice layering anyways.
http://www.livelab.dk - slice up your life

How about random triggering?
Basically being able to set a range of triggering variation around the selected start point for each slice, maybe up to the full length of the loop. This could help emulate natural "loose" playing if applied subtly, or go into experimental territory with extreme settings. Don't know how feasible it is, though...
The mind boggles.

Random slice order playback would be swish.

With the random 'pitch-a-fier' would there be any way to conform the pitches to all be 'in-tune'?

ohm wrote: Any more suggestions on randomness are welcome. One idea I had was to allow layering of slices on one track and assign different probabilities to each slice. People have been requesting slice layering anyways.
Yes! I've been meaning to throw together a Reaktor patch for doing this myself, but haven't found the time. That would be great.

I'd also really like to see better support for single hit samples and multisource sequencer tracks- For example, loading in a bunch of individual drum hits, and being able to arrange them in a single sequencer track with multiple layers for each sound, so you could get random kick sounds or snare sounds each time they are triggered. On the other hand, following this to its logical conclusion, I suppose at some point it stops being LiveSlice and becomes Guru :lol: so I think its important to maintain focus on what makes LiveSlice so special. For me, randomization is a key component.

Regarding my original suggestion, I wanted to offer some thoughts on usability. I think the way I'd like to see this work is that each individual slice in a sequence can be toggled between constant and range modes for any given parameter. This would be accomplished by displaying the desired parameter, and then clicking on the desired slice while holding some modifier key. In constant mode, a slice parameter would look like it currently does. In range mode, the vertical parameter slider would be replaced by a vertical bar for specifying upper and lower range values. In the case of the pitch shifting parameter, the wave display could reflect the value at the middle of the specified range.

I was just wondering if this idea is still on the table for future development... :wink:

I also think randomness is cool :)
You often get cool results to work with with "random" features !

Yes, no, maybe?

*SIGH* Is Ohm still alive?

He released a beta a couple weeks ago so yes.

But we want a new random tab ohm! Hint hint.

spuddle wrote:random tab
?

Anyways: I'm going for the "fuzzy parameter" solution with a range of random variations of each parameter.

I'm also adding a new randomize parameter that will keep randomizing (instead of toggling).

Perhaps it would be interesting to have an option of randomizing the track each time it loops, but I think it would be even better to just create an event is mapped to a random slice selected from a loop - this way you could have some random slices and some fixed.
http://www.livelab.dk - slice up your life

ohm wrote:
spuddle wrote:random tab
?

Anyways: I'm going for the "fuzzy parameter" solution with a range of random variations of each parameter.

I'm also adding a new randomize parameter that will keep randomizing (instead of toggling).

Perhaps it would be interesting to have an option of randomizing the track each time it loops, but I think it would be even better to just create an event is mapped to a random slice selected from a loop - this way you could have some random slices and some fixed.
Sorry, I meant a whole new tab with inner options dedicated to random functions like those listed above :)

Ohm, thanks for the update! Also, I think the 'select random slice' event is a great idea! :love:

Return to “Livelab.dk”