Kontakt 2.1.1 Released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hell, how can this huge improvement in sound be forgotten? :D

As far as REX files (or sliced loops in general) are concerned, I do as well think that ReCycle is still doing the best job, especially on stretching samples when you slow down the tempo. And of course a fullsize editing screen isn't anything annoying either.
But, using Kontakt for them is a PITA, if you ask me. MIDI file export isn't what you'd expect at all and importing more than one REX file into one patch (say, a basic groove and a variation) is no fun at all either, to put it mildly.
Unfortunately, of the all the "fullblown" samplers, Logics EXS is still doing it best. You can import multiple REX files and it'll automatically map them above the previously imported ones. Then, there's an option to "extract MIDI from recycle file", which will automatically create a new part in your arrangement. In addition, Logic allows for previewing REX files in song tempo. Hard to understand why nobody else (but one, read below) is doing that.

However, there's more ways to skin this cat (unfortunately not a single "one size fits all" solution, which is really sad).

- To read existing REX files, there's MicroDicer and Phatmatik (oh well, Stylus RMX as well, but that's quite a financial stretch). Both of them are also doing a reasonable job of slicing on their own. And MIDI file export is just what the doctor ordered, you simply drag them into your arrangement. In addition, both of them allow for saving of the individual slices.
In favour of MicroDicer: It allows to preview REX files in song tempo. Bravo!
In favour of Phatmatik: You can drag individual (or all) slices directly to whatever other sampler of choice (supporting such things, that is - DR-008 and Battery are working just fine).

- If you got ReCycle and a proper drumsampler, you're probably all set as well.
Personally, even if it requires opening two programs, fooling around with folders and dragging things, this is still the way I prefer.
I'm usually using the "export" thingy in ReCycle. It'll export all the slices (labeled 000-127) and a corresponding MIDI file.
Now, after that I can just drag all those slices straight from explorer (or finder, for the Mac heads) onto my drum sampler of choice and they'll also line up by their numerical labeling.
In addition, I will just drag the MIDI file straight into my arrangement and voilá, there's my sliced loop, playing through my drumsampler of choice, allowing for all sorts of nifty manipulations.
The downside being that no current drumsampler is actually allowing for 127 notes to be arranged on individual cells, which is sort of limiting the import of grooves and variations into one instance. DR-008 is best regarding that (96 cells), but on the downside, it doesn't allow for editing multiple cells at once, which clearly is a huge benefit of Battery.

Sorry for the OT stuff. Oh well, and I still wish someone would finally do my dream drumsampler/slicer. Something slicing on its own wih ReCycle-alike quality, while at the same time offering full drum sampler capabilities so I wouldn't always have to mess with additional programs.

Finally, a small Kontakt 2 thingy that I found to be very important: Setting up different pitchbend values for up/down is now finally possible (using two modulators). I almost always use, say, +2/-12 on bass patches and this never worked fine in any previous Kontakt versions, but now it is!
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

hmmm but the 2.1.1 update still does not solve the problem of kontakt not being able to import banks of other Kompakt & Intakt instruments, like those of EASTWEST, Zero G and others...

always get this message sayin the respective kompakt or intakt instrument is not yet registered, when in fact all the kompakt & Intakt instruments are properly registered and authorised and are working fine by themselves....

I mailed them about this and they say that the bug is fixed in this update, and in case it is still not working for me then i need to reinstall all those kompakt and intakt instruments....

Well thats something i am not too keen on doin, so i'm kinda confused here now what to do next !!!!!

Same problem here Jose :|

Still, I'm planning on a reinstall soon (once I get my new HD).
Music with dinner is an insult both to the cook and the violinist.

... I had this problem with the Kompakt and Intakt libraries, too. But after a complete reinstallation of my entire system (not the plug-ins!), everything went fine (even with K2.02). But I guess, that's not a solution for the majority of us... :)

However, for whom it may be of interest, here's the REX-File test again.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... C274C66654

I did this with Kontakt, Recycle and Live 5. The first example is Kontakt 2.1 with an Artificial Release Stretch value of 100%, the Recycle 2.1 with stretch set to 100% and finally Live 5.2 with both the beat mode and the complex mode. The original tempo of the loop is about 112 BPM, now played at 90 BPM - a tempo at which you start to recognise the limits of Recycles's time-stretching. Finally you'll hear the first slice without any stretching, then stretched with Kontakt followed by the Recycle version. I think the stretching of Live's complex mode is a slightly bit better than Recycle, but the sound seems to be altered somehow (...perhaps some granular artefacts - I don't know...?) However I don't like that effect, but that's just subjective. Additionally, the complex mode takes a good bit of your CPU (...not too dramatic...), which a REX-File on the other hand doesn't. Live could become more interesting if it would offer a a slice detection, which could improve your workflow while setting warp-markers, but that's a different topic...

Return to “Instruments”