Sampling Primer for Beginners

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've cross-posted this to the 'Getting Started' forum as well.

I've finally had the time to complete and polish up my "Beginner's Guide to Samples and Sampling", I've added it to the KVR Wiki. You can read it here:

http://www.kvraudio.com/wiki/?id=Sampling

thanks

Finally!

:-D ;-)

edit:

Nice work by the way.

:reads on:

i know :cry:

sorry :lol:

edit: thanks! it IS a lot better now than 'what once was'

hope it's helpful to people

That looks excellent, Mike. Will check out in full tonight.

Please don't take this the wrong way (as I don my Wiki editor hat), but in terms of its Wikiness, I think it is generally accepted (and possibly even stated somewhere) that the content belongs to the Wiki rather than to whomever wrote the entry. So that reprinting would only need to cite that it was reprinted from the KVRWiki, rather than the original author.

Within the bounds of Wikiness, it's free game for anyone to alter the text, so long as they are improving the final product. That's why it's a Wiki and not an uneditable reference text. So it also becomes impossible to assign authorship as a result.

This entry might also be better served in the Tutorials section rather than the Audiolexicon , since it is more of a tutorial and that section gets the most traffic. (I can fix it later if you are open to the idea)

yeah i'm totally cool with all that Steve

i might not get a chance untill waaay later so please feel free to make whatever changes you think are relevant

i don't care about maintaining 'authorship', especially if others are helping to massage it into a better text

cheers 8)

ok i've removed the authorship comments completely :) if you want to move or copy it to the tutorial section that is cool!

i put links to it in the wiki entries for 'sampler' and 'sample' as well, so if the article is moved, please update those entires too

thanks

Cool, I'll try to do some moving about later then and will post here any link changes (that's if one of the other editors doesn't beat me to it.)

So, has this been a spare time project while doing all that travelling? Looks very thorough.

ah i've copied it into a tutorial already, damn i'm fast :hihi:

shamann wrote:So, has this been a spare time project while doing all that travelling? Looks very thorough.
haha actually it started out as a series of posts in the 'Getting Started' forum in response to a post from a newbie around Christmas time.

It got really messy and i ran out of time, so i ripped it all out, pasted it into a MS Word document, and promised to fix it all up.

7 months later i've found the time. :lol:

haven't touched it since early January, polished it all up in about an hour today between procrastinating and avoiding my real work.

Nice read, Muff!

Could you (or anyone, for that matter) recommend me a sampler that has all (or most) of the characteristics of the sampler that was used in the multisampling chapter? Preferably freeware... ;)

So for anyone looking, the tutorial is here now.

I've edited the sampling page to be a more generic definition (meagre at the moment) with a pointer to the tutorial. I've also added pointers to both the sample and sampler pages.

absolut_vacker wrote:Could you (or anyone, for that matter) recommend me a sampler that has all (or most) of the characteristics of the sampler that was used in the multisampling chapter? Preferably freeware... ;)
Check out Vember Audio's shortcircuit free (a limited 2-note polyphony version of shortcircuit) or Paax free. Or RGC's sfz and an sfz editor like sfzed.

awesome, thanks shamann - great work, thanks for the layout tweaks as well, much appreciated!

and vacker - i second shamann's suggestion of sfz + sfzed! your best bet for free for sure

Omg, why haven't I heard of sfzed before?

:love:

Thanks a bunch!

thank you Muff. It is very informative, and am still digesting a lot.
I have one slight suggestion for you or further redactors:
mix in some graphics. A couple of diagrams might help break up the feel and keep people engaged?

Very small and unfair comment, forgive me: I've been staring at books all day, and my eyes are shot :)
..what goes around comes around..

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”