about the prize money

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hi guys,

i wanted to get your ideas about the prize money distribution.

right now, it seems that we have about $650.. but let's say we have $1000.00 :nudge nudge wink wink:

how would you like to see that distributed?

i was thinking :

first place $750.00

second place $250.00

of course, it would be awesome if we could collect more than a thousand bucks.

what do you think?

should there be only one winner instead?

or would you like the more traditional 1st 2nd and 3rd places? (and how would you go about giving out the prize in this case... 500-300-200, 600-300-100 etc.)

500-300-200 sounds the most generous to the most parties. The initial pot was 500, I think it makes sense that it covers the original prize, and that donated monies there after cover the consolation prizes.

But as I'm not an entrant, perhaps unfair of me to say.
Last edited by shamann on Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

A thing I was curious on, does it have to be transferred through paypal?
Roberson Audio Synthesizers

i'll comment as an observer who's thought about this already. it's a competition, the plugs WILL be good. the winner will lose out on income from givin away the plug. however, the winner will gain notoriety (but WE already know them) and warm fuzzies. so on one hand, no amount can make up for the loss. on the other, a reward for effort would be nice. seems the best ending would be for the winner/winners to donate to charity

my random opinion from all that is, have a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd cause i can't see the money really makin a diff. however, devs gotta eat too
"Most people who experiment with drugs are not lying in the streets, suffocating on their own vomit. If you want to see some of that, go to the Pub on Saturday night at closing time." ozwest

shamann wrote:500-300-200 sounds the most generous to the most parties. The initial pot was 500, I think it makes sense that it covers the original prize, and that donated monies there after cover the consolation prizes.

But as I'm not an entrant, perhaps unfair of me to say.

i think you're right.. i can't decide though. that's why i had to start this thread.

you know what worries me though. the voting process.. i really hope people won't "chew and screw". people need to take the time and vote for their favorites.

Chris Roberson wrote:A thing I was curious on, does it have to be transferred through paypal?

do you mean in order to donate or for the winner?

paypal only to donate.

but to the winners... we'll do whatever it takes to get the money to them. :)

androidlove wrote:i'll comment as an observer who's thought about this already. it's a competition, the plugs WILL be good. the winner will lose out on income from givin away the plug. however, the winner will gain notoriety (but WE already know them) and warm fuzzies. so on one hand, no amount can make up for the loss. on the other, a reward for effort would be nice. seems the best ending would be for the winner/winners to donate to charity

my random opinion from all that is, have a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd cause i can't see the money really makin a diff. however, devs gotta eat too

well, the devs that are entering are mostly, if not all, freeware devs. so i think they're used to losing out on income. those generous bastards. :p

so you're going with the 1st 2nd and 3rd as well. cool!!! let's wait and see what others say.

I'd actually go for 1st/2nd/3rd as well, $500/$300/$200 seems about right... problem is, what to do if donations go higher than $1000? (Which I hope they'll do in September once everyone is back from holidays and we approach D Day ;) ). I would even leave donations open after the plugs are released right until the winners are announced, and aggresively push donation links within the plugin download pages themselves... just an idea.
tuz wrote:you know what worries me though. the voting process.. i really hope people won't "chew and screw". people need to take the time and vote for their favorites.
Are there any rules for voting yet? In order to maximize voting it should be as easy and painless as possible... perhaps voting for a single release is a bit too arbitrary, but maybe assigning 3/2/1 points to the 3 best releases could be a decent compromise... :?:
The mind boggles.

Juanjo wrote:I'd actually go for 1st/2nd/3rd as well, $500/$300/$200 seems about right... problem is, what to do if donations go higher than $1000?
Rather than figuring dollar amounts, I would suggest something like a 3:2:1 ratio for 1st:2nd:3rd prize. Then it doesn't matter what the total pot ends up being.
Peace & love,
Kevin
http://www.mopis-synth.com/

I think a 3:2:1 ratio sounds quite good. If this is to be held again next year, maybe it could be a good idea to set it up so that the more money that gets donated, the more winners there will be. So far, this competition seems to be a success. I can't stress enough how cool it was of Tuz to get this rolling, and how cool it is of all the people donating money that they do so. This rocks.
Stefan H Singer
Musician, coder and co-founder of We made you look Web agency

MopisKevin wrote:
Juanjo wrote:I'd actually go for 1st/2nd/3rd as well, $500/$300/$200 seems about right... problem is, what to do if donations go higher than $1000?
Rather than figuring dollar amounts, I would suggest something like a 3:2:1 ratio for 1st:2nd:3rd prize. Then it doesn't matter what the total pot ends up being.
what i was thinking... (both the 500/xxx/xxx suggestion as well as the 3:2:1 one)

:)

stefancrs wrote:I think a 3:2:1 ratio sounds quite good.

agreed. :)

right now, according to the 3:2:1:

1st place gets ~450
2nd place gets ~300
3rd place gets ~150

and we're still accepting donations. :love:

3:2:1

Let me put it this way:

1st. 500
2nd. 250
3rd. 125
4th. 50