How should I improve my GUI's?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been making plugins for a couple of years or so now. Personally I think I'm slowly evolving into making better GUI's. But I'm not really sure.

When comparing these two:

http://www.majken.se/vst/grphx/subduer-b6.jpg

http://www.majken.se/vst/grphx/chimera-big.jpg

Which one is better, and why? Are there any elements that's better in one of them while other elements are better in the other? Or are there things you would like to see changed? I'm trying to improve my skills for a new plugin but I don't really know what direction to take. Any ideas?

Thanks for taking the time!

/Majken

more contrast
bigger fonts and controls
no textured backgrounds

;)

i like the subduer one best.

i think its because of the 'texture' in the background colors used. a flat color puts me off. looks to 'fake'. but, i do like the colors in chimera. to be honest, they both are a little 'gridlike' in the layout. too many straight lines for me.

i do like your color palette on em both though.

peace.
ImageImageImageImage

you shouldn't.... ever.... just do more of the same.

i love your guis (and synths)

despite the fact those two are different they share a certain style that makes it obvious its you (your oatmeal skin and twitch do as well to a lesser extent)

i love your colours and controls and everything really.

hmm, not useful to you at all that was it :hihi:

make them gooeyer

woah, i must repsectfully disagree with ALL of disturbs points! no offense....

cept for that implied point on trance.... haha....
ImageImageImageImage

Jens, "B.t.w.: it appears I was wrong"

Chimera is beautiful

Overall impression is sharp and stylish. Colour choices excellent, very peaceful and harmonic. Arrangement is logical and clear. The curve of the red area somehow clashes with the rectangles on the right. I'd like longer faders, with smaller thumbs. Contrast is perfect except in the value boxes where you have full black backgrounds and white text.

Subduer has a fussy font, outlined? The knobs on it are also quite small compared to the GUI size.

I'd say great work with Chimera, well above average GUI.

highkoo wrote:i like the subduer one best.

i think its because of the 'texture' in the background colors used. a flat color puts me off. looks to 'fake'. but, i do like the colors in chimera.
Chimera is also textured, but much more tastefully.

Sickle please learn C++ and save the world. I want those as vst <3

I like Chimera better mostly because of the larger knobs and sliders.

I prefer more photo-realistic gui's or ones that look like polished metal and such. blank space is king - no need to fill it to the brim with stuff. Both gui's you show here are so darn busy - one could get lost!!! I prefer a multi-tab interface with less on each page so that I can find what I am looking for. Better preset browser and management - more visual - with keyword search - would also be incredible.

You know what I like most of all about your synths?

The fact that you care enough to ask us how to make them better.

For that reason alone, it would be a pleasure to try/buy your creations!

Mike

I really like the Chimera GUI but the subduer one looks to... i don't know how to explain. Chimera looks neater and with finer detail or something. I love that circular stuff down the bottom right.

I really like Subduer. I hope you don't mess with it too much. It's a unique gui.

.jon wrote:Sickle please learn C++ and save the world. I want those as vst <3
Sorry, dude..I would if I could, but that's just never gonna happen..

Much easier for you to just get Reaktor and quit messing with all that C+++ junk.

:hihi:

ps: I also do 'normal' GUI's as well:

http://www.sickle666.com/reaktor/GUIs/i ... ri%20I.gif

http://www.sickle666.com/reaktor/GUIs/w ... er_GUI.jpg
Jens, "B.t.w.: it appears I was wrong"

Personally I really like your gui's.....so keep up the good work ;)
Simple and repetive are my middle names

Return to “Instruments”