toneport video .. namm

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

how does tone direct compare latency wise with just normal asio drivers at 5ms (which is what i use with my sb live) i was using my friends tone port but the latency seemed pretty high through cubase etc.

If I understand right there will be a VST-plugin of their effects in combination with a TonePort DI. So all the POD-FX are available in a compatible host?

Here's a description http://line6.com/gearbox_plugin/. Sounds really interesting if the pricing is sane.

Paul Sobek wrote:how does tone direct compare latency wise with just normal asio drivers at 5ms (which is what i use with my sb live) i was using my friends tone port but the latency seemed pretty high through cubase etc.
The ToneDirect Monitoring is adjustable, from the GearBox control panel. I have mine set to it's next lowest setting (one notch from the left) and the latency when playing my guitars is no different than when I play my POD 2.2 direct!
The great thing about that is you can jack your ASIO project host app latency to 1024 (23.2msec) or 4048 (46.4msec) and still play & record through the GearBox, in realtime, without high CPU usage, like when you use a VST plugin, in input monitoring mode with sub 5msec ASIO latencies.

Cheers,

Billy Buck
Last edited by billybk1 on Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm on the road to Sonic Nirvana
REAPER.....your DAW on a keychain! Don't leave home without it!
Visit me on ACIDPlanet

Yup, Billy's got it right. The ToneDirect can be set astonishingly low on my Athlon XP 2600+. I can't distinguish it from realtime.

As for pricing: The plug-ins are priced fairly, but only borderline (my words), according to Harmony central's Spring Namm report. ~$300 for the Silver Bundle (which does not include all the PODxt amps and effects) or ~$600-700 for the platinum bundle, which includes everything Line6 has to offer (ie. far more than standard PODxt). Compared to similar products (ie. Amplitube 2), the price is in line, but it's not going to be the budget break-through that some people might have hoped for.

That said, Harmony Central is terribly unreliable and might have printed incorrect info.

Greg

wow. I didn't know you could do that direct monitoring thing. So I guess that means your actual soundcard latency could be high as anything, and as long as you record through the gearbox it wont matter - just gives you more CPU juice to play with.
My Youtube Channel - Wires Dream Disasters :: My Band - Tacoma Narrows Bridge Disaster
Product owner working for inMusic Brands - posting here in a personal capacity, but I will assist with any BFD related questions - hit me up!

Exactly. Obviously ASIO latency is still a concern for realtime playing with softsynths (as you say, they're not recorded through gearbox), but for realtime audio recording (normally but not limited to guitars, bass, or vocals for most TonePort users) it's great.

Greg

Amberience wrote:wow. I didn't know you could do that direct monitoring thing. So I guess that means your actual soundcard latency could be high as anything, and as long as you record through the gearbox it wont matter - just gives you more CPU juice to play with.

Yep, The TonePort's ASIO driver & ToneDirect Monitoring settings are set separately, from the GearBox control panel and are independent of each other.
With the latest 2.0 update you can now make quick adjustments directly, without even navigating through GearBox. If you go to your Windows control panel (Start|Settings|Control Panel) you will see a new "Line 6 Audio-MIDI Devices" icon. Just drag and drop that icon to your desktop. Now you can quickly get right to the GearBox control panel with a mouse click. I went ahead and dropped the "Line 6 Audio-MIDI Devices" icon to my "Taskbar" to tidy my desktop up a bit. :wink:

Cheers,

Billy Buck
I'm on the road to Sonic Nirvana
REAPER.....your DAW on a keychain! Don't leave home without it!
Visit me on ACIDPlanet

Return to “Effects”