Sylus RMX - sounds/styles

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I read in the SOS review that Stylus RMX tends to concentrate on urban style sounds.

SOS mag-
If there is a criticism of Stylus RMX, it is that most of the grooves have the same type of feel (what you might call 'urban' styles, with a hip-hop, techno or industrial feel) and some users would prefer more straight dance rhythms or conventional drum patterns using acoustic drum sounds.

I would prefere to use loops or midi files - I just want to simplify drum programming as I find this the most difficult area of song writing.

Just interested if users would not recommend this plugin for general heavy/light rock styles and would prefere EZDrummer or Drumcore, etc?

Thanks

The RMX core library is pretty urban/contemporary.
You need to buy additional xpanders for rock.
Burning grooves, backbeat and the orleans strut xpanders are perfect for that.
check the demos at www.spectrasonics.net
You will get great beats and fills from world class drummers plus the incredible flexibility of RMX to customize them.

I recommend Stylus for any kind of music (but remember, RMX stands for Remix) - so yes, you are going to get a certain "feel" out of it. That said, the expanders like backbeat and liquid grooves, etc let you add more acoustic oriented patterns to what is already a very large and diverse library.

However, if you are looking for a standard drum machine or drummer program, may I suggest Jamstix (feels like a real live drummer is playing with you), Drumcore or EZDrummer.

Mike

Hemmick Reef wrote:I would prefere to use loops or midi files - I just want to simplify drum programming as I find this the most difficult area of song writing.
Hammick...you got that right, esp. if you're not a drummer! I'm not a drummer and don't pretend to be and that's one reason why I went with Stylus RMX as it's just dead simple to get a beat with backing timbres going in no time. I bought all 5 libraries at the same time I bought Stylus RMX and I have no regrets. Coming from a guitar background and working on synths now.....it just makes life SO MUCH EASIER to throw beats together and start creating ideas for tunes. I just couldn't be bothered to spend hours in programming MIDI drum beats esp. when I finally came to my senses that I'm not a drummer! Anyway...that's me...I need to keep things simple for my sanity. :wink:

If any of the RMX libraries don't suit a necessary "beat", don't forget that you can also import REX2 loops into Stylus RMX as well and (I think) there are quite a bit of REX2 libraries out there that cover all kinds of genres. ILIO ( www.ilio.com ) also has some more Xpansion libraries for RMX that were produced by Eric (Spectrasonics) as well (aka 'Spectrum' here at KVR).

And oh....of course, RMX allows you to do MIDI programming as well if you wish (using the slices in the loops). Spectrasonics also as a damn good reputation for putting out top quality stuff....so that was also one reason why I didn't flinch and the general consensus was right....it's damn good stuff and can't wait to see what else Eric has brewing up in his kitchen. I love RMX....it's definitely over-filled my drumming needs.

Don't rule out either that Eric will be adding onto RMX in the future for the non-Remix stuff as I think eventhough RMX stands for REMIX....it's uses are expanding and I'm sure they are going to fill that need as well.

Thanks for the advice - I'll check out the other libraries for Stylus RMX. :tu:

RMX is the best thing thats happend to me since i started this whole "production" thing 2 years ago. I even have hope of live mixing with it. Has anyone else tried this with RMX?

RawTheory wrote:RMX is the best thing thats happend to me since i started this whole "production" thing 2 years ago. I even have hope of live mixing with it. Has anyone else tried this with RMX?
It looks very solid to me. I don't practised in real but i might want ot try out!

Return to “Instruments”