three new slow tracks

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here are the latest three tracks that are ready for some criticism. I think Exiled to Melancholia is the strongest of them since it is the closest one to a final. The other two need more melody and some touches of artistry in the drums, but I'm happy enough with them now to just let them be heard. All of them are fairly subtle. They really need a gifted singer to take them higher.

At any rate, hope you like.

http://www.samplesquad.com/kvr/new/exil ... cholia.mp3
http://www.samplesquad.com/kvr/new/thirdeyeinautumn.mp3
http://www.samplesquad.com/kvr/new/nanofield.mp3

Listened to exiled: the others will have to wait for tonight.
It is beautiful: somehow busy and understated at the same time. (busy as in always moving, many elements). Your synths sounds, -whatever fx chain you use does a good job of, er, "rounding off" of the soudns- they sound very organic.

There was a point ~12s in which the filters made the lower guitar notes sound kind of hollow which didn't seem to fit to me, but man what a gross injustice for me to even comment on something like this in work so nicely done. I hope you find your vocalist!
..what goes around comes around..

ouroboros wrote:Listened to exiled: the others will have to wait for tonight.
It is beautiful: somehow busy and understated at the same time. (busy as in always moving, many elements). Your synths sounds, -whatever fx chain you use does a good job of, er, "rounding off" of the soudns- they sound very organic.
I think the secret weapon is cabinet emulation and an instance or two of FabFilter Volcano.
ouroboros wrote:There was a point ~12s in which the filters made the lower guitar notes sound kind of hollow which didn't seem to fit to me, but man what a gross injustice for me to even comment on something like this in work so nicely done. I hope you find your vocalist!
Yeah, there's some wobbly thing going on there, too, which I didn't hear until I listened in headphones. Gotta work on it this weekend. Thanks for checking it out. I'll definitely make some improvements to these in the near future. :)

These are stellar work Shane. The rhythms are tight and the instrument timbres are interesting and dynamic. The arrangements have longer sections than my short attention span is comfortable with, but vocals would probably it that focus.

I've got no objective advice or suggestions so I'll subject you to my opinions instead... ;)

It really makes me think of funky illuminated aliens, that whole cliche movie scene where the unwary human gets introducted to real intergalactic civilization. These songs are good in a way that leaves me wanting more, really wild GSY!BE style 10+ minute epics with these kinds of vibes or textures (and maybe a few really talented singers) would be mindblowing.

glurgle wrote:These are stellar work Shane. The rhythms are tight and the instrument timbres are interesting and dynamic. The arrangements have longer sections than my short attention span is comfortable with, but vocals would probably it that focus.

I've got no objective advice or suggestions so I'll subject you to my opinions instead... ;)

It really makes me think of funky illuminated aliens, that whole cliche movie scene where the unwary human gets introducted to real intergalactic civilization. These songs are good in a way that leaves me wanting more, really wild GSY!BE style 10+ minute epics with these kinds of vibes or textures (and maybe a few really talented singers) would be mindblowing.
Very kind words. Yeah, these are arranged with a "there'll be a vocal one day" sensibility for sure. It almost makes me wanna sing. Almost.

Hi Shane,

just having a listen to your tunes for the first time (will not be the last, that's for sure here!)

"Exiled":
Wonderful mix and arrangement, it's so crisp/transparent :-o
Musically it's very eclectic with so many things going on here, appears like the score to a very intense movie full of bizarre but beautiful scenes.

Liked the other two tracks also a lot, they are very well balanced/composed with lots of details which make the journey we're invited here not boring at all. How to say: It almost let's me forget that this is electronica, because it leads to a point where it's only high level entertainment (a feeling I rarely get when hearing "electronic" music, cos' - pun intended? - it does not only justify as electronic music with all the arps and bleeps and bloinks etc if you hopefully get what I mean :roll:

compliments and hats off!
Symphony Nr.1
Meet the Cities Repair Team Unimportant laughter
music has become meaningless...we just keep doing it

Shane Sanders wrote:They really need a gifted singer to take them higher.
Yees!! :roll:
Symphony Nr.1
Meet the Cities Repair Team Unimportant laughter
music has become meaningless...we just keep doing it

thomekk wrote:Hi Shane,

just having a listen to your tunes for the first time (will not be the last, that's for sure here!)

"Exiled":
Wonderful mix and arrangement, it's so crisp/transparent :-o
Musically it's very eclectic with so many things going on here, appears like the score to a very intense movie full of bizarre but beautiful scenes.

Liked the other two tracks also a lot, they are very well balanced/composed with lots of details which make the journey we're invited here not boring at all. How to say: It almost let's me forget that this is electronica, because it leads to a point where it's only high level entertainment (a feeling I rarely get when hearing "electronic" music, cos' - pun intended? - it does not only justify as electronic music with all the arps and bleeps and bloinks etc if you hopefully get what I mean :roll:

compliments and hats off!
You're comments were very encouraging. Thanks for listening and commenting with such thoughtfulness.

I'm going to try harder to find a good singer. I'd love to find someone like Azam Ali or even someone like Sinead Lohan who is more commercial but still has a lilt all her own.

Anyone else willing to comment on these, especially the mixes? I'm at a crucial point where I kind of need to know how these are sounding across a variety of listening environments. Thanks.

:)

Shane Sanders wrote:It almost makes me wanna sing. Almost.
man I know that feeling well, I'm slowly succumbing to it though. I figure it's only going to get better as I go :)

Very promising stuff, Shane. Uniformly strong production in all three, so I'm just going to focus on tiny quibbles with the mix. :)

nanofield - Good depth of sound. Tasteful use of tablas. There is a certain high frequency from one of the synths that perhaps cuts through a bit too stringently at times (1:18, 1:30, 3:03 et al.) - could just be an oversensitivity to certain freqs on my part. The solo lead (at 0:48 etc.) smells a bit retro-prog and dated next to the rest of the track, but it's growing on me.

third eye - Bass has a pleasant punch without dominating. All percolates along nicely, though overall the track becomes a bit anonymous at times. Enlivened by the periodic moody drop-outs and the cool little reggae inflected sections which follow.

exiled - Harmonically the most striking and laden with nifty hooks. Of the three, this feels least like it's a backdrop waiting for some extra element to tie it together. Excellent, please take this one further. :love:

Now get singing!

(Apologies for slow response, downloaded a cartload of songs back in the mists of September, only just finding time to listen.)

Just listened to the Exiled song, it's really good! There is so much going on but it all works together very well. The mix of guitar with the various synth sounds is really great. I love the melodies which take some unexpected turns. Some of it reminds me of Air's work but their stuff is a little less spacey sounding.
Thanks for sharing, I must check out the other tracks as well.
Rekkerd.org the latest news on audio plugins, sample libraries & virtual instruments, synth presets & more.
Don't click here if you can't control yourself!

Return to “Music Cafe”