Dark Lady PM guitar/bass vsti

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks.
Yes, I'm still working on it, though it's not really fast.
I think I got almost evrything done but the "twang", which seem to come from the body.
I'd like to make some bass guitar tries. But it is almost impossible to find 4 bass strings EADG samples on the web.
If anyone has a bass...

what u mean by twang? the cheesy reggae/funky muted string action?if part of the sound is in the body then I guess it's a reverb job...

anyway if it allready does the metal muted string thing well (with bridge humbucker sound)then thats allready an achievemnt.....as there's no synth that does it. i don't even know any clean humbucker sample libraries around....

i can get decent bass and single coil sound with subtractive synth....
but theres something elusive about the humbucker. i thought by just doubling the sound i could get there....but there's some phase cancellation goin on between the two signals....
oh well i know nothin about these things

What I call Twang is something I see on the waveforms, and hear, at the beginning of an attack. It has to do with the body and bridge. I found a bit of it, but not all...

I admit I don't know much about humbucker sound...
But as you mention it, I think it would be interesting for me if someone has a guitar with those humbuckers that you can split into 2 single coils. They are placed just the same, so it could help me make the difference between single and double coil.

[EDIT]

Forget about the humbucker. I got it now. It was quite simple. Thanks for pointing it out. I would maybe have never looked at it the way I just did, who knows ;-)

The muted sound should not be a problem. I already tried it with previous versions, and it sounded nice to me. I like that too. It gives interesting rythms.

I just noticed something interesting about humbuckers on the files I had from genetic junk.
(those firebird and lp have humbuckers, don't they?).
Those sample are from a variax.
If I'm wright, then I know how to emulate humbucker, but I need to be sure it is the reality, and not the way Variax emulates the humbucker :D as i try to emulate a real guitar, not an emulation...

It looks too simple to be true...

here is the result:

each sequence is : 1 picked near bridge single coil, 2 picked near bridge hum, 3 picked near neck single, 4 picked near neck hum

humbtest.mp3

same but with each sound normalized, so that you don't feel a difference only because of volume.

humbtestnorm.mp3

So this is theorically a firebird with bridge humbuckers (2&4) and single coils (1&3).

I think there is not as much difference as I'd have thought. i hear more difference between 3&4 (picked a bit closer to the bridge) than between 1&2.
I read somewhere that the type of pickup had less importance than the position of that pickup on the board...
Does this test proves it?
If not, then you can consider the variax as not really making great efforts to emulate the humbuckers...

If someone has a real firebird or a LP, I am interested in just two attacks: one with each pickup, on lowest string.
thanks!

This is becoming my very private thread, so let's feed it a bit.
I've done it.
It's perfect now.
the previous version, which was really better then the first one was still crap compared to what I did yesterday.
Now, the pickup positioning is so good that it makes it theorically better than a variax...
Yep. The variax and VG88 use a fake trick to emulate pickup position, cause they can't really remic the string. It sounds ok, but doesn't look right.

I don't have this problem. So the pickup postionning is better.
I only need to improve the body, and it'll be the plugin of the century ;-)

There are 3 pickups, and you can set them precisely in inches, on a scale that you can also set (25.5 for a strat).
Which leads me to the topic of the day:

I'll probably make some quick settings, at least for the pickups.
So it would be cool to put some names, and as it's forbidden to use real names, and also because it is funny, I'll probably try to find some anagrams.
(of course if the anagram matches a very specific model with specific pickup setting, it's better. And of course, the infos about that guitar - pickup distance from bridge in inches, humbucker or single coil, angle could be nice infos too).

I start the game :

Fred Aster'n Castro

A select trend free
Ale Plus
Beer Crack Kin

Big songs :-)

Regards,

Derek
Less than 1000 posts and writer's block has set in :-(

FEDERAL CENTER SET

mmmhh, I'm not sure that pure anagrams are the bests.
:?
I like it when it sounds like, more than when it respects the anagram straight rules.
to me, "fred aster and castro" sounds more like the real thing than "federal center set".
But i'm not english nor american, so maybe I'm wrong?
same sounds are funnier than same letters to me. :wink:

"Big songs" is a good one. :D

brick and paper

take mine

fred aster on TV :?

ban ze "i" :cry:
or banzai!

353 big songs

If you guys have a guitar and like its sound, i'd be interested in a neck pickup E1 short attack of it. It could help me make the impulse engine more versatile.

Mokafix wrote:But i'm not english nor american, so maybe I'm wrong?
me too, but an anagram is an anagram, the best anagrams have some sense (not like mine) besides using all the letters of the "original" ;-)

"Big songs" is quite a perfect one because you can use a "Gibson GS" to make "Big songs"....complete sense!!!;-) it's not a "real" anagram because you only swap two letters, but it's very nice anyway !!! ;-)

FBI IS BORDERING.... :?

yeah, the best would be to keep some elements for all the guiatr of a same brand.
"big songs" is good for that.
"fred aster and" can work also, I think.
fred aster and castro
and fred aster castel

makes me think: I'll need the same things for bass guitars too.

[edit: the link it refferd to is dead.]

I uploaded 2 videos on youtube showing my PM bass guitar as it is for now.

The first video is more technical.
I just play notes directly on keyboard with mouse and change pick positions to demonstrate the accuracy of the model.
Of course neither the pickups nor the pick positions sounds have anything to do with filters.

> features video <

The second video is a cover of The Breeders "Cannonball" tune.
I choosed it because it uses only E string and has bends.
The drums are addictive drums demo.
there is no FX except guitar suite rednef amp sim.
I edited the midi file only to add some squeaks with mod wheel (triggers the hand), and to add that cool swoope at the beginning (one note, a bend and a modwheel/hand movement)

> Breeders cover video <

Next time, I'll try to feature the 4 strings to show how different they sound.

Not featured in any of those 2 videos:
- muting
- A,D & G strings
- other basses models
- velocity

Return to “Instruments”