Rough Draft Audio EQ22

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
shamann
KVRAF
12245 posts since 18 Aug, 2003

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:19 pm

Who's loving Duncan's EQ22 from the dev challenge? I'm using it all over the place, finding that it gives things a satisfying crunch.

(haha. originally called the thread "EQ22" and KVR had this to say: No need to shout! Please don't post topic titles in all CAPITAL LETTERS. Thanks. How about: Eq22)

Reverse Engineer
KVRAF
4966 posts since 23 Sep, 2003 from Glasgow

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:32 pm

I'm not too clear what 'oversampling' is, and there's no wiki entry for it, so i dunno what that's all about. It is a nice eq though.

OMNIFEX
KVRist
284 posts since 23 May, 2006 from Great Neck, New York

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:38 pm

It's cool. I had some problems with it.
Probably not Windows 98 friendly id imagine.

Saved it in my Pre-Release Folder. Offers
a nice rich classic look.
OMNIFEX

14.8 GB Of VST Effects And Growing By The Moment :D

shamann
KVRAF

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:42 pm

Reverse Engineer wrote:I'm not too clear what 'oversampling' is, and there's no wiki entry for it, so i dunno what that's all about. It is a nice eq though.
Maybe this might help explain. Basically the OS version will require more CPU and will produce less risk of aliasing.

And EQ22 isn't just an EQ, it's doing all sorts of dynamics mojo, too.
Last edited by shamann on Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reverse Engineer
KVRAF
4966 posts since 23 Sep, 2003 from Glasgow

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:00 pm

shamann wrote:
Reverse Engineer wrote:I'm not too clear what 'oversampling' is, and there's no wiki entry for it, so i dunno what that's all about. It is a nice eq though.
Maybe this might help explain. Basically the OS version will require more CPU and will produce less risk of aliasing.

And EQ22 is just an EQ, it's doing all sorts of dynamics mojo, too.
Wow, thanks for the link. Usually on each day that passes i find out i know less and less than i should, today will be a little different. Tomorrow? i'm positive something will arise that illustrates how little i know again. :P

duncanparsons
KVRAF
8373 posts since 11 Apr, 2003 from now on the flat

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:58 pm

oh me oh my.. I get a thread!

Glad you like it :)

The oversampling was to compensate for the Transient Dispersion which can introduce higher frequencies and potential aliasing (as all compressor/expander/exciter/distortion units are liable to do, depending on settings). It allows the upper-end to retain smoothness. However, it introduces up/downsampling filters, and twice as much processing per sample, so yes CPU load increases.

I was very satisfied with the result. I was going to issue the idea as an April Fools joke first, but missed the deadline and shelved it. When the DC was announced I had a few ideas to play with, and this one seemed the best to go forward with.

DSP

robenestobenz
KVRAF
2939 posts since 18 Jul, 2005

Post Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:41 am

Love it, myself. It's got a great sound and is very quick to work with to good results. The distortion is no frivolous adjunct either - it possesses a very light, crisp quality that wraps guitar especially nicely.

.jon
KVRAF
5503 posts since 9 Jul, 2002 from Helsinki

Post Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:50 am

Yeah it's nice, only thing I don't get is the default setting "all zeroed". But yes it's great on drums.

Juanjo
KVRian
774 posts since 6 Jan, 2006 from Premià

Post Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:24 am

This EQ-come-dynamics-processor is dope for sure... the sad part being that even if I did a bit of betatesting for it I didn't catch the JP22 pun (which makes this thing rock in sooo many ways) until well after it was released (which makes me dumb by definition, no?) :cry:

:hihi:
Congrats Duncan on yet another great tool and the new site!
.jon wrote:Yeah it's nice, only thing I don't get is the default setting "all zeroed".
Apparently it's a bug that only a few choosen people experience (myself included)... it must be a divine message so we don't relay on presets that often... :troll: :wink:
The mind boggles.

runagate
KVRAF
10106 posts since 17 Sep, 2004 from Austin, TX

Post Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:27 am

It's the very first eq that I've ever had that I look for excuses to put on tracks.

I just barely ever used eq before, despite having every single freeware one. I use them to fix things whereas this just settles things into mixes in that special runagatey way :) I love the dynamic mojo and the warmth.

duncanparsons
KVRAF
8373 posts since 11 Apr, 2003 from now on the flat

Post Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:38 am

.jon wrote:Yeah it's nice, only thing I don't get is the default setting "all zeroed". But yes it's great on drums.
That really is a peculiar bug. Some folk have told me that it happens on XYZ, I load up XYZ - works fine. I'm in something of a quandary as to what is happening... Some get it, others don't...

Ho Hum.. I'll keep looking tho :)

DSP

MRT
KVRian
1073 posts since 3 Dec, 2002

Post Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:52 am

Glad to see this thread I've been throwing EQ22 on lots of stuff in EXT with good results. I really like the way it works on the low end for drums and bass. Seems able to add some punch to the upper bass regions to really help things sit in the mix.

Thanks for your efforts on this, actually thanks to everyone involved in the D.C. it really brought out some great stuff.

living sounds
KVRAF
2208 posts since 13 May, 2005

Post Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:44 am

Great plugin! I love how it adds cream and texture to vocals. Thanks alot!

shamann
KVRAF

Post Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:59 am

Duncan, while we have you here, should you go introducing new features in the futuretime, my first request would be to have an A/B switch. I find I'm having to bypass it all the time through the host just to check to on my changes. My second request would be to have the oversampling enabled by a switch on the GUI, rather than as a separate plugin, mainly because I might be inclined to use the OS version for offline rendering, but the settings I have set up in the non-OS version won't carry over.

jens
KVRAF
19389 posts since 12 Jul, 2003 from West Caprazumia

Post Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:06 am

duncanparsons wrote:
.jon wrote:Yeah it's nice, only thing I don't get is the default setting "all zeroed". But yes it's great on drums.
That really is a peculiar bug. Some folk have told me that it happens on XYZ, I load up XYZ - works fine. I'm in something of a quandary as to what is happening... Some get it, others don't...

Ho Hum.. I'll keep looking tho :)

DSP

I get it at least in eXT as well (I'd say that's typical Delphi oddness then... :hihi:) - but I agree it's a very nice sounding plugin!

Return to “Effects”