Triggering Melodyne audio from MIDI controller..

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Does Melodyne allow you to trigger it's audio from an external MIDI keyboard? What I mean is note to note triggering (ie: C1 = one audio blob C#1 = another blob so on and so on...)??

Let me know..

L

Melodyne web page wrote:In the other direction, almost all Melodyne parameters can be controlled remotely via MIDI and automated. You can use any MIDI controller you like for this; for particularly popular models, Melodyne comes with ready-made adaptations.
This is not enough information..

L

if it IS a feature they've kept it very well hidden..

Melodyne 3.1 Studio manual
You can control most of the functions in Melodyne — including the Transport Bar,
the Mixer and even Melodyne-typical functions such as transposing the
fundamentals or formants of individual tracks or the entire arrangement — using
an external MIDI controller,..
I guess not..

Dayum that sucks.. I was hoping to 'go around' the teadous gui by assigning blobs to midi notes and playing them.. I guess this'l be my feature request to Celemony...

L

Wow, that's a heck of a feature - you'd want to be able to trigger each blob with a midi note? Some glitchey re-arrangements?
To be honest, I can't see it being implemented - that's not really how Melodyne's used. it tends to be more of a linear tool - you might be better off using Liveslice in either of it's modes (1. bounce down and import into sample slicer, or 2. use it as an effect and feed your signal directly into it, though the slices won't be sliced according to transients - just split evenly into <your chosen> number of peices.

I suppose there's no harm in trying though eh?
let us know what they say :)

It would be cool cause then I could play the parts via rewire and then just record them to my main host.. Yea I agree it probably wont make it to an feature update.. But imagine being able to play Melodyne like a sampler!.

Melodyne has a Play Notes feature where you can play the audio in the arrangement from a midi keyboard. If playback in Melodyne is stopped, the notes in the arrangement will be played in step mode at the pitch you're playing. If playback is running, the melody in the Melodyne arrangement will be played at the pitch you're playing. There's also a Transpose mode where the melody will be transposed according to the key you're playing (with C3 being center point where the melody is played back at the original pitch).

All of this only affects the playback but there's also an Edit Notes mode which works pretty much like the Play Notes mode except the notes will move to the pitches you play and stay there so you can edit the melody from your midi keyboard. This can be applied to one track or globally to the whole Melodyne arrangement.

/Yoss

Lagrange wrote:.. But imagine being able to play Melodyne like a sampler!.
and that's exactly why I recently purchased a Roland VP9000 :hihi: (well, it's little more flexible)

http://www.synthesisers.co.uk/vp9000.htm - variphrase and melodyne behave in very similar ways - I really need to get it out of it's box :wink:
Last edited by CinningBao on Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

oh my goodness - Yoassarian knows his shit:
When MIDI In Plays Notes is selected, you can play the blobs in the arrangement using a MIDI keyboard. If the playback is not running, you can move in Step mode from one note to the next. (You can also move notewise forwards or backwards using the arrow keys on the computer keyboard).

too late for a fiddle right now though - sleepy byes

cheers Yoss :)
-------------------- edit

couldn't wait - oh hey this is cool - you can indeed play a melody on the keyboard which melodyne translates on to the audio of the track - each note-on triggers the next segment, which is usually one syllable.

sound good?

Amazing ok great its in there then.. I knew it must be able to be done.. Will take a closer look in the morning..

Thanks for this info..

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”