Sony Oxford at NAMM...going native!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Great, let's wait for McDSP to do the same :).

Which of their plugins are supposed to be top notch ?
I know they have a couples that are a bit ahead of the competition (from what i've read many times), but can't recall which...

Inflator, Limiter, Dynamics, EQ, Transient Modulator are all excellent.

disturb wrote:Which of their plugins are supposed to be top notch ?
I know they have a couples that are a bit ahead of the competition (from what i've read many times), but can't recall which...
none of the Oxford range are ahead of the competition anymore, but facing equal solutions from an awful lot of companies already. They are bread & butter plugins in fact, and certainly offering nothing spectacular these days. They do their thing well, and that's it.

Sony *was* riding the high end DSP wave few years back with at least TDM, powercore and their own Oxford mixer.

Things have changed since.

to those who may care, Sony DMX-R100 mixer does not contain the Oxford algorithms, contrary to the popular belief.

yup, segall is right. Old news.

metrosechual wrote:yup, segall is right. Old news.
will you please take your nose off my asscrack, you f**king parasite of KVR! it's embarrassing to have you follow me around with your inflammatory attention seeking in every thread.

:o :lol:

I'd be very curious to try that EQ, after all the bruhaha over the years.

Kingston wrote:
will you please take your nose off my asscrack, you f**king parasite of KVR! it's embarrassing to have you follow me around with your inflammatory attention seeking in every thread.
ouch.

It will be interesting to checkout the cpu consumption at least, if these plugs are efficient, it will be pretty evident that the dsp cards are a load of bull, i recall some pretty low plugin counts on the tc stuff from a couple of years back...

Kingston wrote:
boy you are sensitive, i think there may be something else on your asscrack besides me. I was agreeing with you. Try to prove im following you around btw... just cause i am liking the same things as you every so often. Another interesting thing about you --- you seem to think so very muchos about yourselves!!!!

disturb wrote:ouch.
nevermind the intrusion. I'm just fed up with this guy.
disturb wrote:It will be interesting to checkout the cpu consumption at least, if these plugs are efficient, it will be pretty evident that the dsp cards are a load of bull
...and that's exactly what they are! a bunch of glorified dongles. look at waves TDM vs native, for example. despite the miniscule differences in sound (in favour of TDM), the CPU/DSP consumption is almost negligible on both. Then look at UAD-1 plugins vs. their (now discontinued) TDM counterparts. It's the same with oxford. Heck, it pretty much has to be, as they were originally designed to be used in a lowly digital mixer DSP environment, which is quite the optimisation challenge.

They will sell reasonable well, I predict, knowing Sony's stellar reputation in the segment.
Last edited by Kingston on Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kingston wrote: They will sell reasonable well, I predict, knowing Sony's stellar reputation in the segment.
Which is justified or not ?

As I said, it's bread and butter. There's Voxengo, Kjaerhus, wavearts and plenty of others with similar offerings.

I don't know how Sony's licensing vs. different formats go, so if one license includes all the formats, that might weight in heavily for many people.

Anyone got any word on the protection they will be using? iLok? :(

The Oxford EQ is top notch. Definitely in the upper tier for digital equalizers. One of the few with a nice enough top end for smooth boosts without the harshness.

Return to “Effects”