Most Awesome Sounding Chord Progressions Ever Vol 1

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I'm sitting here watching the sunset blowing my mind with Biomechanoid's Absynth3 pads and I need some hair-rasing chord progressions. Anyone care to share any diamonds?

2nds up/7ths down (I-ii),(IV-V) etc...
3rds down/6ths up (I-vi),(IV-ii) etc...
4ths up/5ths down (i-IV),(V-I) etc...

Mix and match to extend at will.
Now with improved MIDI jitter!

Cmin-Gmin-Fmin-Fmaj-Cmaj

I-II-V-I (And i-II-V-i)

i-#iii-i-#vi (Cmin-Emin-Cmin-Amin)

Toxikator wrote:I-II-V-I (And i-II-V-i)
Or, better yet, I-VI-II7b-V7-I. Can't go wrong with that. (Except to sound cliché of course)

i-bVII

@JJF -- What is a II7b?

chardin wrote:@JJF -- What is a II7b?
II: The chord on the 2nd degree of the scale
7: With an added (minor) 7th above the root
b: in 1st inversion

See my Introduction to Music Theory, which also contains my Introduction to Cadences, where I believe II7b is covered.

Whatever you MEANT< it would actually be the chord on the second degree of the scale, made Major, with a minor 7th on it (maj-min7)...

the flat doesn't invert it...

Rikky Rooksby
'How to Write Songs on Guitar'
part 1, section 3, Chord Sequences
pages 35 - 55

he lists just about every chord progression known to man (in pop music) and the songs they're found in and organized in 10 groups from simple and familiar to exotic

section 4 is developing sequences

Toxikator wrote:I-II-V-I (And i-II-V-i)

i-#iii-i-#vi (Cmin-Emin-Cmin-Amin)
eh?
Now with improved MIDI jitter!

Toxikator wrote:Whatever you MEANT< it would actually be the chord on the second degree of the scale, made Major, with a minor 7th on it (maj-min7)...

the flat doesn't invert it...
That was my first thought, too. But I don't think he's using "b" as flat there. I think he's using b as in A.B.C. Confusing to me.

I don't think much "classic" chord progressions will fit all that well with Absynths pads.
Something I like for sort of esoteric evolving pads is using a pedal bass note and fool around with the chords played on top.
Can't fail with a good old minor-to-major switch.
Example: Bass note A. On top play C-E-G-B (resulting in an Amin9), then play C#-E-G#B (resulting in an Amaj9). Expand to taste and use other inversions.
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

joining in simply to steal

For my kind of music I found this progression specially good: Cmin(Maj7)-D7(b5)-Bm6-GMaj-Cmin use open position for the first 3 chords. :tu:

Return to “Music Theory”