Scaling up and down a key?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What is done when you do this? I hear folks in this sub-forum talking about it all the time, and I haven't the first clue what is meant by it. I was always under the assumption that when you go up and down a key you always play the same notes that are in that chord.
"You are going to let the fear of poverty govern your life and your reward will be that you will eat, but you will not live."

No name wrote:What is done when you do this? I hear folks in this sub-forum talking about it all the time, and I haven't the first clue what is meant by it. I was always under the assumption that when you go up and down a key you always play the same notes that are in that chord.
I'm not really sure what you mean here; are you referring to the melodic minor? (Which, off the top of my head, is the only common Western scale to be played differently when ascending and descending).

Unlike the Natural and Harmonic minor scales, the Melodic minor is different depending on whether the melody is rising or falling.

When descending, the melodic minor is identical to the natural minor. - That is, you play it according to key signature, with no extra accidentals.

When ascending however, the 6th and 7th notes of the scale are both raised by one semitone. (Generally this means you sharpen them). Another way to think of this is the major scale on the same note with a minor 3rd instead of the major 3rd.

For example; A minor's key signature has no sharps and no flats. - The notes of the natural minor on A are therefore:
A, B, C, D, E, F, G, A.

When ascending with the melodic minor, this becomes:
A, B, C, D, E, F#, G#, A
(6th and 7th degrees are sharpened. This is like A major, only with C-natural instead of C-sharp).

When descending with the melodic minor, you play it the same as the natural minor. (With F-naturals and G-naturals).

Consult my Introduction to Music Theory for more details.

Ok, I see. I had a hunch before I think, I heard what it meant but I just didn't remember. I've heard folks talking about how in certain keys when you ascend the scale and descend the scale certain ways it sounds really good, and I just have a thought and was curious as to what it meant. I'll try it out for myself and see what it sounds like. Thanks.
"You are going to let the fear of poverty govern your life and your reward will be that you will eat, but you will not live."

Return to “Music Theory”