FR theme: MIDI Tracks, Parts & Editor

Official support for: energy-xt.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Pop-up MIDI Editor
- remove a Controller view,
- delete a Controller lane (and its events),
- easily delete the control changes in the Controller panel (perhaps right-click >> delete, as in eXT1]
- Ctrl+a always selects the note and the Control changes - this is Ok in the Event List, but it would be better if in the Piano Roll Ctrl+a selected the notes only, and in the Controller panel it selected those CC events only

- the order of possible views in the drop-down list seems to be the same as the lanes in the track header area; is this reasonable? Would it be better to be able to list the lanes in both places in a logical order: velocity, controllers, MIDI Envelopes, then VSTi paramaters (in ascending order within each section), VST parameters
- the possible views in the Controller drop-down list use the parameter/control names only; it would be valuable if the item name could be shown too, the VSTi name, the Insert FX name, or mixer channel
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

+1 to all of Darkstar's

-Allow us to select velocity and CC steps by clicking on them
-Allow us to write scripts for the composer
-Single click + drag to add a note and set velocity at once
-Step record
-Use qwerty as a midi keyboard
-Fold button for piano roll to only show keys that already have notes on them (please!)
-Preview with click on keyboard, add note, move note
-Midi functions
-Mute notes
-Invert selection
-Stacked controller view in pop-up editor
-Special docking spot for editors so you can have an editor docked and still flip through your normal docks.
-Allow us to "trace" audio by using a wav as the background for the editor (we can add notes right on the transients)

Inline editing :
display piano roll background even when part isn't selected (the way it is now pretty much defeats the purpose of inline editing...)

Massive +1 to using qwerty as a keyboard too

when you have a vsti in a sequencer track :
- left-click brings the gui in a popup
- right click should bring some different features (klike replace, etc)

disturb wrote:Massive +1 to using qwerty as a keyboard too
Yes, very important.
Charlie

ArtRage for Art | EnergyXT2 and Phrazor for Music | Blender for 3D

Inline editing - the markers for bars etc are based on the timeline not on the midi part itself.

This means that if you move a midi part by 1/16th all the bar markers will look to be in the wrong place within your midi part.

I don't know if anything can be done about that - but here's hoping.

Regards
Caleb
Happiness is the hidden behind the obvious.

Charlie wrote:
disturb wrote:Massive +1 to using qwerty as a keyboard too
Yes, very important.
Jorgen if you do implement this you should check out MIDI keyhook. One really really extremely convenient feature is the ability to use the "F1, F2" etc. keys to switch octaves.
I'd give you a link but i can't find it. And the agreement states not to distribute so....:(

BUT, here are the shortcut keys direct from the manual:

Capslock Esc Toggle on/off state

The following are only active when "MIDI Keyboard Active" is checked

F2 through F9 Change Keyboard Range
Up Arrow Increase High Velocity
Down Arrow Decrease High Velocity
Left Arrow Decrease Low Velocity
Right Arrow Increase Low Velocity

I'm thinking instead of Capslock Esc for the toggle on/off state, how about just capslock?

Another cool idea is to allow users complete customization within the action setup page.
Last edited by Former Pharaoh on Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm better than you. Deal with it.

sinkmusic wrote:when you have a vsti in a sequencer track :
- left-click brings the gui in a popup
- right click should bring some different features (klike replace, etc)
One thing i suggested for right click is to call up the instrument's mixer channel when layering.
I'm better than you. Deal with it.

yes
at the moment, if you have layered 2 synths in the same track by drag & dropping them from the brwoser into the track, you can't delete one of them by right-click : you have to open the comp view, which is not excellent for the workflow.

I was under the impressing saving midi-clips would include envelope lanes, but it doesn't :/
So, this is my feature-request: save envelope data with a clip, such as cc's and velocity data

More power in the list editors.

First off, I'd like to suggest the following:

View filtering - Note-on, C.Change, P.Change etc..., also filtering within value ranges - C.Change = (9-25), Velocity = (60-90), Position = (1:00-3:00) etc..

Select All in filtered view.

Editing values within the list editor.

This just helps give us more powerful ways in which to select data/data ranges to manipulate.

Now - for the next step.

As we have list views in all pop-up editors, I was hoping we might transcend the midi restriction of the list editor. To a degree we've already done so as the list editor for audio parts lists wave files and their position, but I think we can go further. This is the VST world now - let's list VST automation data and treat it like all other data.

As XT2 uses automation points, have these in the list as well.

The data displayed may be:

Position, parameter destination, "Param", parameter name, value

The parameter destination would be the VST name (and this should be the alias you choose - ie should be renamed when you rename)
Value - if possible this should be the sensible value rather than 0.000 - 1.000 but I don't know if that's actually possible so I'll settle for 0.000 - 1.000.

Now - it may be that the Composer functionality when implemented could make some of this redundant - it depends on how powerful it is intended to be, but I just thought some enhancements to the list view could allow for some powerful selection/editing capabilities within XT2.

Regards
Caleb
Happiness is the hidden behind the obvious.

-Shift pattern (pattern moves left or right and notes that go outside the pattern are warped around to the other side like pac-man). I would like this for all editors.

Caleb wrote:More power in the list editors.

First off, I'd like to suggest the following:

View filtering - Note-on, C.Change, P.Change etc..., also filtering within value ranges - C.Change = (9-25), Velocity = (60-90), Position = (1:00-3:00) etc..

Select All in filtered view.

Editing values within the list editor.

This just helps give us more powerful ways in which to select data/data ranges to manipulate.

Now - for the next step.

As we have list views in all pop-up editors, I was hoping we might transcend the midi restriction of the list editor. To a degree we've already done so as the list editor for audio parts lists wave files and their position, but I think we can go further. This is the VST world now - let's list VST automation data and treat it like all other data.

As XT2 uses automation points, have these in the list as well.

The data displayed may be:

Position, parameter destination, "Param", parameter name, value

The parameter destination would be the VST name (and this should be the alias you choose - ie should be renamed when you rename)
Value - if possible this should be the sensible value rather than 0.000 - 1.000 but I don't know if that's actually possible so I'll settle for 0.000 - 1.000.

Now - it may be that the Composer functionality when implemented could make some of this redundant - it depends on how powerful it is intended to be, but I just thought some enhancements to the list view could allow for some powerful selection/editing capabilities within XT2.

Regards
Caleb
BINGO!
That would make my tracker hands very happy. especially if there were shortcuts for changing the filters.

-Show us the values that points in an envelope have when we set them and when we mouse over them.

-Add filter to the automation lanes to switch between showing all used parameters for just one component (e.g. show all automated Asynth parameters, or toggle to show all used Classic Delay parameters).

-We need, "add remove controller view", and "toggle between stacked and overlay" mode

-Keep the automation lanes in the clip synced with the ones in the track.

Can we have the transpose buttons (and keyboard shortcuts) back? Also double click to split notes.

Also (I'm not sure if this is something I've missed) can we have an option on how long new clips created by double clicking are, rather than having them automatically filling the whole loop?
It's a rave, Lewis!

Return to “energyXT”