"De-reverbing" techniques

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm working with a nice sample but I'd like to get some of the reverb out of it, or at least for the reverb to be less apparent (it's a natural reverb, I think). Any ideas?
Cakewalk by Bandlab / FL Studio
Squire Stratocaster / Chapman ML3 Modern V2 / Fender Precision Bass

Formerly known as arke, VladimirDimitrievich, bslf, and ctmg. Yep, those bans were deserved.

What kind of sample ?

There's not much you can do, really. Gating and subtractive EQ will probably be your best bet until you enter the world of FFT.

If the signal is mono and the acoustics are stereo it could be very easy though.

If it is a drumbeat something like Dominion can help.

Aye...all of the above. Although for myself I generally only use gates to do that. Eqs etc will affect your drum sounds as well as pulling down reverb. Dominion sure can do stuff like that, and make the loop a great deal meatier, but a simple tight gate with just a tiny touch of release on it will do wonders for subduing reverb. Not 100% effective, but usually acceptable.

Garbage In = Garbage Out.

Just. Aint. Gonna. Happen....

How to take excessive amounts of salt out of some soup?
My MusicCalc is temporary offline.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. :borg:

Depending on the sample (i.e. is it stereo ?), you could try some Mid-Side processing and reduce the side.
Although this does not actually reduce the amount of reverb it can give the impression of doing so by reducing the amount of stereo width (seeing as reverb is often just added to give the impression of stereo space). As I said, depends on the sample but, may be worth a try...

:)

C00kie wrote:How to take excessive amounts of salt out of some soup?
Add a potato or two, continue simmering, then remove them later. No, seriously.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Or simply triple the volume with extra liquid. (Which of course will dilute everything else unless you add more ingredients).

So the analogy for the drumloop would be to timestretch it out or beatslice it out to 300% slower. Which would probably sound crap, so just put salt on it instead.

On soundscape samples i used to reduce it by using a denoiser as it would be any broadband noises

Far from beeing effective but not really useless, you may have a try to figure out by yourself...

The appropriate use of mid/side stereo imagers...
(on the stereo reverb of a mono source, as suggested before in this thread)
... isn't useless either

All in all, you may have a thin chance...

personally I'd probably go with compression - you make the attack time very long, so that the actual signal you want to keep is unaffected and the release as long as possible without affecting the following transients - the treshold needs to be rather low (depending on the signal perhaps somewhere between -20-30db) and the ratio not too high (~2:1-3:1?)
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

you know what sucks? reverb recorded in mono.

Put a speaker in some soup then play back the sound. Bring to the boil. Simmer.
Sound design, audio editing, and instrument programming for UVI Workstation and Falcon/MachFive
http://www.iainmorland.net

Don't forget the potatoes (2 for stereo, 6 for 5.1, you got the idea) and take them out later. Done.

Return to “Production Techniques”