Share your shortcircuit sampler techniques here!

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

dacaumodo wrote:Is it supposed to sound like this?
Yup, it CAN sound like this. But if you adjusted the delay time (make it shorter) and didn't pitch up frequently, but instead use the modwheel to playback/slowdown the sample in reverse, and then add the repeated effect, it would sound nicer, imo.

Also, instead of controlling the stutter/reverse with the pitch bend/mod, try automating it such that its not random, but is in synch with the sequencer (i.e. stutter every 3rd beat, or 2nd beat, or 1 bar, etc). Let me see if i can find that roland V-Synth video....

I think this should be it :

http://www.roland.com/V-Synth/VideoDemo/

I can't see the video as it needs QT Player.

But basically the time trip pad of the V-SYnth lets you freeze whatever you're playing (which we did using the delay) and play the sample forward or backward (which we did using the rate). Though it sounds really simple, the V-Synth does this in a wonderful way. You can even play the frozen sample up or down the keyboard. I was only able to TRY to mimic it, and have not done it enough justice.

Perhaps try this time trip thing with multisamples, instead of drums and see if it sounds convincing. Add a touch of reverb too. Now I'm off to bed....:zzz:

The time trip function is something I'd been trying to replicate with softsamplers for a long time before actually buying a V-Synth. The basic concept is pretty simple; a *very* short loop is activated when you place your finger on the pad, moving your finger clockwise moves the sample start offset from beginning to end and moving your finger counter clock wise moves the offset from end to beginning.

Since the time trip pad isn't a knob it has some interesting properties... you can continuously move your finger aound the pad to progress the pattern at the rate you move your finger, you can tap around the pad to jump to different positions in the pattern and you can press the hold button to freeze the pattern in time and then play the frozen buffer as a melody.

The coolest part is the fact that when you let go of the pad the pattern continues playing in time with the master tempo of what ever it's synced to.

There are multiple time stretching algorithms that can be used when encoding files in the V-Synth so the characteristics of it's time stretching and pitch shifting are pretty unique.

I hope that this info can be helpful in your endevor to try to emulate this effect. I can really appreciate the effort you are putting into this, as I attempted to do something similar for Ableton Live's samplers (the results can be found on the blog page of my website linked below). Short Circuit seems like a very capable sampler, unfortunately I'm primarily a Mac user. I have installed it on my PC but haven't had the time to really dive into it.

Keep up the good work! :D

Thanks for the info! I wasted 3 hrs trying to figure out how to close the gate, and it dawned on me to use delays instead. I think I'm going to let someone else work on the time trip effect, for now I"m going to concentrate on other things. Perhaps, you could play the sequencer, and use the "granular time stretching" technique in conjunction with this, or use "position within loop" as a source to find out how to go back and forth in the sample, but i'm going to move on....:D

The V-Synth emulator tip, combined with the granular time shift, with some fancy automation curves = GLITCH

trut

Controlled flanging/combing w/ Modwheel, and SYNC with Pitchwheel (Works GREAT with percussion!):

EFFECT/FILTER, whatever, set to DIGI DELAY (preferably grouped)
Wet level: Anything close, but not exactly 0.0dB. -2.2dB works ok.
Time: Something smallish. 17.95ms works great. (It sounds like an "A" note sync.)
Feedback: Something close but not exactly to 0.0dB. -0.3dB works ok.
Low cut: lowest
High cut: highest
Tempo sync: off.

Modmatrix:
MODWHEEL -- -5.0to -- TIME (this controls the flanger/comb)
PITCHBEND -- 60.0st -- Pitch [Sounds like a SYNC tone change when used.)

NOTE: The sync-like effect will only work if the repetition effect (meaning the delay, though microgate works too) is in effect.

It's a great advantage to performance when automatic flanging is boring. :)

keyman_sam wrote: [edit] Let me try to explain temposync, and anyone can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Nice post, let me Thank You! :wink:

MaliceX wrote:Controlled flanging/combing w/ Modwheel, and SYNC with Pitchwheel (Works GREAT with percussion!):

EFFECT/FILTER, whatever, set to DIGI DELAY (preferably grouped)
Wet level: Anything close, but not exactly 0.0dB. -2.2dB works ok.
Time: Something smallish. 17.95ms works great. (It sounds like an "A" note sync.)
Feedback: Something close but not exactly to 0.0dB. -0.3dB works ok.
Low cut: lowest
High cut: highest
Tempo sync: off.

Modmatrix:
MODWHEEL -- -5.0to -- TIME (this controls the flanger/comb)
PITCHBEND -- 60.0st -- Pitch [Sounds like a SYNC tone change when used.)

NOTE: The sync-like effect will only work if the repetition effect (meaning the delay, though microgate works too) is in effect.

It's a great advantage to performance when automatic flanging is boring. :)
Cool tip! Will try out tommorow...

The manual flanging sounds Awesome - particularly with drums! Those who haven't tried it out yet should immediately do so.

...post deleted by author

I'll post this here from another thread related to SC:

here is a little test I made (taken from some midi, pitch corrected, and applied SC):

http://s1.massmirror.com/download_frame ... 3c284c1bd9

that example I made uses the modulation matrix, actually random attack, abit of random distortion, pitch to attack(for softening the pitch), and envfollow connected to a filter to open the sound with positive values, and with negative values to close it, you can use it with pitch bends up and down using high and low frequencies in the filter respectively to make the pitch not so pronounced. For closing sounds negative values of envfollow to a filter is quite fast.

The legato in SC is quite good, but for my taste it is a bit "overconnected" so depending in the sound I prefer to use porta(25-50ms) and poly.

Im experimenting in SC with instrument samples hope you find it useful.

cheers. :)

That's a nice mp3. Is the glissando present in the sample itself, or did you program it? How accurate do you find the envfollow source to be? Often I find its either over-reactive or not reactive at all to the source sample.

man, how cool it would be if you have a source range to set what ranges you want. i.e. modify the modulation matrix like this :

[modulation source] [range start] [range end] [intensity] [destination] [range start] [range end].

For example,

[pitch bend] [-50] [-100] [100%] [zone start] [20] [50]

This would start to change zone start when the pitch bend's value falls between -50% and -100%

Not only that, I think it would be cool to have the group level as flexible as zone level. I miss stuff like lag generators in the group level...ah, just a rant...carry on. :)

keyman_sam wrote:That's a nice mp3. Is the glissando present in the sample itself, or did you program it? How accurate do you find the envfollow source to be? Often I find its either over-reactive or not reactive at all to the source sample.
Actually that glissando effect is done using notes without gaps , some random modulated attack, envfollow to an lpfilter and a cheap 31.25 porta :shock: works marvellous. :D

The sample is a trumpet sf2 (JL_trumpet.sf2) from www.homemusician.net (free).
Sometimes you can get by using free samples if there is not a lot of vibrato (it ruins the sample in my opinion).

Envfollow(from modmatrix)works pretty well with the filters, but not so good with the others, if I am not mistaken.

I would like to know how to handle properly samples and loops so I could fix samples I find on the net that are very good but have bad loops. Im a noob myself in samplers but spent years with soft synths.

Does anyone know what is the utility of fwd loop crossfade? it doesnt make any difference to my ears in comparison with the other modes.

Fwd loop crossfade is very useful for applying non-destructive crossfade to your loops. This is helpful if you're creating your own samples or want to fix jitters in a looped sample....

try this on a looped sample : Switch mode to loop crossfade, and drag and end of the loop towards the left..you'll see a crossfade being applied to the end points. It smoothes out the transition between the start and end loop points.

Incase I haven't already mentioned it :
Velocity-Crossfading
Can only be done in mapping editor. Hold Shift and adjust the start or end velocity points to fade in or out.
Keysplit-Crossfading
Same as above, except you adjust the start or end zone points.

Oh, BTW, the post in the first thread has been updated to include a tip on automapping with regards to multiple velocity.

Return to “Production Techniques”