How to make the "what is love" sound ?

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was always curious as to how this particular sound was made, i tried remaking it but never came close to the real thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsCXZczTQXo

you can hear it at sec 24

any ideas ?

It's a Hammond B3 organ sound, no?
dano
"In a sky full of people, only some want to fly,
Isn’t that crazy?"

I have a soundfont with this exact sound! I can UL it, in case you just want it. But, if you're after synthesizing it, forget this post. ;)

EDIT: I LOVE this song!!

i'm actualy interested in the exact sound, so i would really apreciate that upload :)

but if anyone knows the instrument used that would be great also
Last edited by dannyqt18 on Thu May 01, 2008 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

nea bro, i'm doing a cover after the song for a local band, summer's coming and i'm tight on time. i have been close to recreating it trough guitar shanks and filter effects as a work-around but like i said i wasn't that happy with the result.

yea, great song !

I always loved the synth line in that song. It's a squarewave with pulsewidth modulation. Listening to the bass in that song now, I think they used a Microwave I. Or a 4-OP-Yamaha FM-synth.
Last edited by living sounds on Thu May 01, 2008 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

I know, just wanted to add my two cents. ;-)

living sounds wrote:I always loved the synth line in that song. It's a squarewave with pulsewidth modulation. Listening to the bass in that song now, I think they used a Microwave I. Or a 4-OP-Yamaha FM-synth.
The only VSTi I could reproduce this bass near-perfectly is ODO's B-Station. Amazing bass synth.

I love those FM basses from this era.

@dannyqt18: check your PM. I don't think uploading it is hurting anyone, since I DLded it from sf2midi. :)

dark_virus wrote:
living sounds wrote:I always loved the synth line in that song. It's a squarewave with pulsewidth modulation. Listening to the bass in that song now, I think they used a Microwave I. Or a 4-OP-Yamaha FM-synth.
The only VSTi I could reproduce this bass near-perfectly is ODO's B-Station. Amazing bass synth.

@dannyqt18: check your PM. I don't think uploading it is hurting anyone, since I DLded it from sf2midi. :)
The bass comes in before the 24 second mark. What is it you are actually after?
dano
"In a sky full of people, only some want to fly,
Isn’t that crazy?"

What is love! :love: Great song, great voices, fantastic sound selection, geniously produced. I've analyzed that one to death 15 years ago. :)
At that time i got closest to the hookline chordsound by tweaking a Korg M3 patch, called "NiceNEasy" from the "Synth1" expansion card.
The bass is not FM, but a sawtooth and i came quite close with the M3 sawtooth, too. The 16th-delay seq is a sawtooth, too.
The 1/8 note arpeggio is a layered and heavily phased square/vox sound.

dannyqt18 wrote:I was always curious as to how this particular sound was made, i tried remaking it but never came close to the real thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsCXZczTQXo

you can hear it at sec 24

any ideas ?

For a moment there I thought you meant the Howard Jones classic "What is Love?" then, much to my disappointment, when I clicked the link I got Haddaway...
Eion Flow: Lush, cinematic electronica from the urban galaxy that is Tokyo, Japan. More on eionflow.com | Facebook | Soundcloud

And? Where's your contribution to the thread topic?

Barbarossa wrote:And? Where's your contribution to the thread topic?
He's trying to say you all have terrible taste in music ;)

As dano mentioned already, sounds pretty much exactly like an overdriven organ (not necessarily a B3). Should be rather easy to accomplish using any VST drawbar organ plus a little bit of extra distortion.

My god, what an ugly song.
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

danielmm wrote:
dark_virus wrote:

The bass comes in before the 24 second mark. What is it you are actually after?
dano
The sound that comes in after 24 sec. Not the bass sound !
Read the first post
___The Jepptunes___
"Accept All the Good"

Sound design for SQ8L and Alchemy

Return to “Sound Design”