The Stars Are In Your Head

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hey all,

a new track, mixed rather quickly. Bit of a slow-burner.

The Stars Are In Your Head
256k mp3 11MB
5:45 mins

Feedback welcome. It was difficult to try and not make this sound like mush because there's quite a few sounds going on, but i wanted to get it done quickly! Also add me on your facebook or myspace. i need more friends so as to appear popular...

Thanks

Jim

I like it. Nice tension building. You took a risk with the dissonant pitch bending that paid off. There's not a whole lot I'd change about this.

Good mix.

I'm digg'in this.
Reminds me of what I would expect from Stan Ridgeway or David Sylvian.
It definitely needs a vocal track to make it great.
I'll have a go at it. I'm getting over a cold and my voice is really deep and raspy now.haha Should sound like Leonard Cohen w/David Sylvian. haaa

If you happen to generate a better,cleaner mix,I would be grateful if you mixed my vocal to it and reposted it. :& )
EDIT - hearing the bit reduced hi-hat/and L-ch snare as distortion. Are you sure you want that? Also sounds like the L-ch crash in dropping out like tape over satuation...hmmm
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

Thanks for the comments!

yeah, annode that is intentional. I didnt want to make something squeeky clean. There's a couple of mono drum loops with the erosion plug from Live on them with a distorted Room kit played live from BFD with some parts chopped up. I wanted a dirty grating sound to contrast the soothing pads/organs etc. It depends on the music, but i often prefer something with a a bit of grain and grit than squeeky clean - it sounds more musical to me. I love Pepe Deluxe for this reason! Hehe, im trying to wean myself of putting vocals in my tracks because i always end up doing it and then always regret it! But maybe just this once ... must resist :D

Jim

annode wrote: It definitely needs a vocal track to make it great.
Been awhile since i posted on this link but now just to update - im getting lisa gerrard to sing on this track for a documentary. yay! lets hope it makes it great!

Jim

Atardecer wrote:Also add me on your facebook or myspace. i need more friends so as to appear popular...
:lol: I'm not on either of those services, so can't help you out there...

On to the track, I really enjoyed this. I love the slow vibe and sustain-y guitars. On headphones, so I can't speak to the mix, sounds warm and noisy, hot in places, but I'm diggin.
Image Image

Atardecer wrote:
annode wrote: It definitely needs a vocal track to make it great.
Been awhile since i posted on this link but now just to update - im getting lisa gerrard to sing on this track for a documentary. yay! lets hope it makes it great!

Jim
Whoa! Talk about bringing in the big vocal guns. Let her do her thing, and I'm sure it will be beyond great.

Sounds like Hans Zimmer just let her go off during her studio session for the Gladiator theme, and I'd say that sort of paid off for him in the end. :)

I really like this one, don't know why, reminds me of Red Snapper, maybe the beat.

earthJoker wrote:I really like this one, don't know why, reminds me of Red Snapper, maybe the beat.
Thanks, I love Red Snapper! Are they back together now?

Advaya, yeah it will be interesting. She's at her best when she's either never heard the track before or at least only once. Dont know how she does that but she always seems to pull it off! Me i need to practice something 100 times before recording - probably because i suck.

Jim

Atardecer wrote: Thanks, I love Red Snapper! Are they back together now?
I just looked into Wikipedia, yes it seems they are back!

earthJoker wrote:
Atardecer wrote: Thanks, I love Red Snapper! Are they back together now?
I just looked into Wikipedia, yes it seems they are back!
Nice, yeah i heard they did some shows in the UK recently? I always preferred their funky instrumental stuff, such as Keeping Pigs Together. Love that track!

Jim

Return to “Music Cafe”