mda plug-ins now open source

DSP, Plug-in and Host development discussion.
mda
KVRist
76 posts since 24 Oct, 2000 from Bremen, Germany

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:57 am

As I don't have time to maintain or develop the "mda" freeware plug-ins any more, but I don't want them to die when 32-bit VST 2.x plug-ins are finally obsolete, I have released the source code:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mda-vst/

If anyone wants to find and fix bugs, or tidy up the sources into a more generic future-proof format, that would be great. If not, the code is all there and working so for example it would be easy to build 64-bit versions.

It might also be interesting to see how the plug-ins work - maybe they are simpler than you'd expect, as back when these were written every additional line of code had an effect on the CPU meter!

Paul

KVRAF
1669 posts since 4 Nov, 2007

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:59 am

whoa, thanksssssssssssssss
not 'ere nowadays :(

interviews with cool people

KVRist
137 posts since 1 Dec, 2007 from Cologne, Germany

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:04 am

Great news! If someone would do a AU version of SpecMeter, he can expect a donation from me.

Beware the Quoth
29737 posts since 4 Sep, 2001 from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:05 am

wow. very good of you...
successfully and consistently snarky

KVRist
112 posts since 20 Mar, 2004 from UK

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:31 am

These are probably going to become a popular resource for answering many 'how do I...' style questions; great help for the community 8)
Matt

Pi is exactly three

KVRAF
8384 posts since 11 Apr, 2003 from now on the flat

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:25 am

wow - thx Mr K! I'll have a butchers!!

KVRAF
2181 posts since 25 Jan, 2007 from the back room, away from his wife's sight (or so he thinks)

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:34 am

WOW!

Great, thanks! 8)

Question - under license it says both GPL and MIT. What are the exact terms? (I have a feeling this question could be answered if I'd just look around, but ... I'm at work, and my code just finished compiling, ... :hihi:)
Cakewalk by Bandlab / FL Studio
Squire Stratocaster / Chapman ML3 Modern V2 / Fender Precision Bass

Formerly known as arke, VladimirDimitrievich, bslf, and ctmg. Yep, those bans were deserved.

KVRist
226 posts since 29 Oct, 2005 from Espoo, Finland

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:00 am

Cool stuff. I think the limiter was mentioned in the newest Sound on sound in an article where a guy mixed a live recording. Maybe people will learn DSP coding from these.

BTW I don't think anything's going to die. VST 3 has got a very poor reception and I wouldn't be surprised if 2.4 would stay as the standard.
"Oh come on Monster has done so much to the audio community. They got the best products ever. I operate my toaster with a Monster power-cable and it tastes better."

mda
KVRist

Topic Starter

76 posts since 24 Oct, 2000 from Bremen, Germany

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:04 am

As far as I understand it (which is not very far) the MIT license lets you do anything you want, including commercial use. The GPL license is there so that distribution with other purely-GPL software is not ruled out.

Paul.
Last edited by mda on Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

KVRist
70 posts since 23 Aug, 2005

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:42 am

Wow, fantastic news! Thank you.

I have one request though, could you import the sourcecode into the SourceForge provided CVS please? (or SVN if that's your thing). It's a lot easier to deal with a source-code repository than it is with a zip file for a lot of coders.

Anyway, thanks again.

KVRAF
3436 posts since 29 Jun, 2004 from Venezia - Italy

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:43 am

very generous indeed, sir! :tu:

Peace out
www (dot) dubadelica (dot) com
Food for woofers since 1996

KVRist
53 posts since 9 Mar, 2005

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:32 am

Wow! Thanks a lot Mr. Paul :)

============================

Are there any way to convert the codes to delphi?

Best regards,

midijor

KVRAF
7883 posts since 16 Apr, 2003 from -on the outside looking in

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:50 am

Wonderful news; thanks for your generosity and vision mda :)
..what goes around comes around..

KVRAF
8384 posts since 11 Apr, 2003 from now on the flat

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:52 am

midijor wrote:Wow! Thanks a lot Mr. Paul :)

============================

Are there any way to convert the codes to delphi?

Best regards,

midijor
alas, only by sitting down and writing it! Having already had a pretty good look through, most of the algorithms are fairly straight forward (if you have some sense of what you are looking at). The best conversion would be more a case of applying the sense of the code, rather than a line by line transcription.

DSP

KVRist
150 posts since 25 Jan, 2008 from Oregon, USA

Post Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:11 am

This is awesome man, thank you.

Return to “DSP and Plug-in Development”