BR: eXT incompatible with Wavelab? (screenshots)

Official support for: energy-xt.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Okay, granted I still use Wavelab 4, but I'm used to it - so yeah.

The thing that really grinds my nerver for a while however is the fact, that it crashes Wavelab, and I don't know why. The behaviour is definitely strange.

When does it crash?
It crashes if I press Space or Enter on the numeric pad to trigger "Play" in Wavelab. But it also crashes if I saved a Wavelab preset with eXT as plugin in it, no matter if opened or closed. Or even if I created an array in Wavelab, then wanted to save the preset from eXT.

What plugins are loaded in eXT?
My selfmade array is mostly made of 2 GearBox Modules (Main In -> 2 Mono Tracks -> GearBox), from GearBox into a Mixer (hard panned left/right), then into a stereo compressor and finally into the Main out. But other arrays crashed that host, too.

Which Version of eXT?
eXT 1.4.x (latest)
eXT 2.0.2 (I think, I prefer and mainly use eXT1 only which is why I didn't update and got that old version unlocked, but it also happens for eXT2)

Computer Data:
Intel P4 2,4GHz single core, 2GB RAM, over half a terrabyte HDD space
Windows XP Pro SP2, Direct X9b
Java Runtime 5.0 Update 10
Microsoft Net Framework 1.1, 2.0, 3.0
Wavelab 4.1b (latest update)

Error Messages:
"Strong Exceptional Error (random numbers)"
"Error - OK?!" and nothing else (from eXT after loading again as Preset)
"fatal exception error (random numbers)"
No log available from Wavelab - doesn't give me one.

Things I did to prevent that "problem":
- Reinstalled Wavelab, no response
- Added more RAM, no response
- reinstalled eXT (both versions), still the same behaviour

I'm lost. Could it be that eXT is just picky about Wavelab 4 and simply wants to have Wavelab 5 or 6? Or it's my darn dinosaur of a PC. Haven't tested it in Cubase SX3.1.xx yet to be honest, but it seems to run fine there, at least what I experienced so far (though I didn't reload a project with eXT in it yet).

Hints to solving the problem (other than "get a new Wavelab", which is kinda obvious) is greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Compyfox on Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Over 100 views and no response. Seems like this problem is either not known, or nobody experienced it yet.

Pity. Guess I'm lost in the maelstrom then.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Well, many don't seem to have Wavelab, just like me :( . As bugs are not THIS rare in EXT these times, I at least wouldn't just upgrade to 5 or 6 because of XT (here I can speak out of experience, besides vst-support there wouldn't have been much reason to upgrade my Soundforge from version 6, = pre-Wavelab 4 as far as I know;-).
The response you get from Jorgen if you experience this or any other bug is more than a shame, I have to say. Any problem like this in other "independent" hosts lead to the dev looking into it pretty soon. And Jorgen was the same way, about 2 years ago. So maybe he'll magically appear now :D or you have to wait for a wavelab user :( .

Old PCs don't seem to be any problem for EXT (there are numerous problems, but not connected to the age of a PC), and old PCs can't be a problem for the old version of Wavelab though?

Don't think so either. Maybe my OS is just borked, but I recently cleaned it up and I reinstalled eXT over and over. My PC is not "that" old, but "old" compared to recent dual core systems.

I just can't track down this bug, which is strange. Really gotta test it in Cubase next week. If it's still occouring there, something's wrong. But it didn't so far, which makes me wonder if it's Wavelab or eXT as FX version.

Pity however that eXT1 is discontinued, cause if there's really a bug in it, it will never be fixed and eXT2 doesn't even come close to the usablity I'm used to from eXT1 for me.

Sorry for the bump, but else I think nobody get's the deal of an edit.

Here's a screenshot of 3 different error messages I got from eXT v1.4.1 (same with v2.x, just slightly different) after it crashed Wavelab 4 in some kind of way.

The first screenshot resulted after I hit "enter" or "space" out of habit in Wavelab while a window out of eXT (in this case GearBox or any other plugin, doesn't matter) was open and kinda highlightet. Results in a permanent crash, even with audio hookup.

The second screenshot is an error message I get if I load a Wavelab preset where eXT is in the chain. It seems to load, then crashes with "Error - OK to resume" - no matter what I press, Wavelab closes without further warning.

The third and final screenshot results from a bug after loading eXT a second time in Wavelab, after I'm done with engineering. Example: I mix a track, then remove all plugins (or individual ones). If I now reload eXT and try to load a one of my array presets, eXT responds with that error basically saying "dude, I can't load that" and refuses to output any audio. I can only fix that behaviour if I completely restart Wavelab. Reloading a new instance of eXT doesn't work.

I'm out of ideas, and it's slowly pissing me off. I simply can't work efficient or reload a preset (with eXT included, hell even if I load it seperately again it still crashes Wavelab) if I need one again for my customers. I have to redo everything from scratch, which isn't really acceptable.

Any solution from the developer side?

Seriously... I'm a bit dissapointed that there was no response in any form from side of the developer(s) so far.

Looks like I'm stuck with buggy-half-finished-and-totally-different-than-XT1 eXT2, and I have to install Wavelab 5/6 after all just to get to know if it's really the host only or energyXT in FX form that's causing the crashes.

Pity.

I think there are issues with the vst version. I've not tested it much, but I know it crashes Christian Budde's vst analyser on my system.

I got around it by wrapping xt2 in xt1, maby that could be a work around for you?

Unfortunately not, since XT2 crashes the same way, which makes it kinda useless to me if that problem is continuing in other Wavelab versions and even Cubase. I bought it because of the more flexible FX routing after all, not as "new host".

Let's bump this one FINAL time.

Return to “energyXT”