vst browser for finding vst dll, idea for new software

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hi, I have this idea for an easier life:

a tool to find, manage, browser dll in many roots of your disk,

featuring:
- free and open source;
- drag'n'drop support (dll to host);
- image preview (connecting if necessary to kvr database);
- properties read of vst + tag by kvr database;
- filtered search by category, FX, synth, echo, rev, etc.. ;
- info stored in internal db for DAW with occasional internet connection;
- portable for external storage device;

with tons of vst-s I think it will be greatful!

What you think about?

I'm a beginner developer, any one would like to help me?

vespa (it)

how many vsts does it take a kvr person to make a song?

Intresting idea for someone to do, not for me tho. First of all you need to know how to analyze a dll to distinguish a VSTE from a VSTI. And that has Image-Line tried to do many years now. Detecting DLL's is easy, but determining what DLL is what, is another story.
Best regards from Johan Brodd.
JoBroMedia since 1996.

Not many hosts support drag and drop of VST dlls - just Energy XT - maybe a couple more

Still a cool idea
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

drag'n'drop is supported of course in vsthost, FL Studio (on Wrapper channel, blank or with another vst), energy xt as you said, minihost.
I think it also supported in other host, just try with explorer.

I wrote a shell extension for the explorer. Just right click on a VST DLL -> properties and see the VST interna incl. a screenshot of the GUI.
Not exactly what you're looking for, but a start...

Christian

Hi @ll,

God send you a light, vespadj. I'm working with FLStudio now about 9 years
using a very large collection of freeware plugs, often very different in
sound and other aspects.

Creating a database of dll's in FL takes a lot of time, and don't think on
sorting options on different folders, i. e. vst's and vsti's.

An universal Database as Extension for FL or other Hosts, creating (and updating) Headers about FX, INS or Hybrid, I/O Channels, Output Quality, CPU Intensity (that's a dream :-) and other things, like plugin-management of
Cubase i.e.. This all, equipped with drag'n'drop is a very great idea.

The database could work itself, until setup is done. I'm not a coder, I thought on tools working with soundfiles, not dll's.

Markantaro

online soon ....

the idea of the vst database is interesting, but not all the vst are here on kvr, there is a lot of them no more aviable but still in big use by many musicians (the old stuff is great)

i suggest to everybody a simple solution:

just put the vsti in a folder, and vst effets in another one, categorize everything by type, or use (delays in the delay folder, fsu in fsu folder and so on)

it's really impossible for me put all the vst together in "steinberg/vst plugins" folder without categorize them in other under-folders

I look a lot to do something in XUL (mozilla) for a nice result, but due the safety of the web-based app, reference to local file are forbitten.

wxLua (simply lang), GTK+ don't support drag'n'drop of file between them to a windows application. Other language are too much complex for me.

WINAMP is a simply solution! I modified the settings of winamp to load in playlist DLL files, I use a plug-in ( gen_dragndrop.dll ) for drag'n'drop with right click of mouse from PlayList to VST Hosts , and I use J (jump file function of winamp 5 lite) for a free text search in the playlist.

saving playlist I have an index (a simply txt database) . So the result is similar to energyXT search tool, very simply but fast.

If some one is interested in this s.o.s. solution ask me about the settings to apply to another instance of winamp ;) I hope that there aren't license problem with winamp stuff if I use the program for another goal.

After many years, I realise today on https://sourceforge.net/projects/vespad ... t/download
my applications, where these is also VST_Browser .
It's free and open source.

For realise it, I had to developed many parts:
- 'vstinfo.exe' for extracting metadata from dll
- 'dndf.exe' to perfom drag'n'drop for a web Browser to desktop application.

I think and I hope it may be very interesting, do you suggest me to submit this as KVR News ? (I never do it)

screenshot: Image

jobromedia; Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:22 pm

Intresting idea for someone to do, not for me tho. First of all you need to know how to analyze a dll to distinguish a VSTE from a VSTI. And that has Image-Line tried to do many years now. Detecting DLL's is easy, but determining what DLL is what, is another story.
Well its finally arrived now with FL12 and it allows you to categorise them (if you wish).

As for VST_Browser, I was prepared to dabble with it, just to see what it could do but fell at the first hurdle when a dos box came up. It's lost its sex appeal for me, sorry vespadj.

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”