3am - Paper Machete (just a sketch)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm so busy with work and paying projects that I barely have time to work on my own stuff. I have all these new toys and I haven't had a chance to really incorporate them into my work flow. Well, I found some time but only enough for a sketch.

Paper Machete

It's kinda low key but there are a lot of really fast edits and stuff. It's mainly just drums, bass and a synth patch or two. I was trying to capture a kind of "live" feel. It works better in some places than others.

Thanks. :)

wow, this is really awesome! you kinda start it out simple and melodic and then beat my ear up. which i like greatly. thanks. :) man i love all this tweaking and editing. mad pr0ps!

Really cool, Justin. Despite it being described as a sketch, among my favourite things of yours.

This is moody as f**k and one of your best yet
like "an eight ball cataract broken jazz bass fret" *

* - whatever the hell that means :shrug: you'll have to ask Jaime Meline
其余的是噪音

:D I add it to my collection of weird tracks by you,jazzyspoon and madder than you...tell me if you have nothing to do with these guys...sometime I imagine some stuffs which are wrong :hihi:

Baz wrote::D I add it to my collection of weird tracks by you,jazzyspoon and madder than you...tell me if you have nothing to do with these guys...sometime I imagine some stuffs which are wrong :hihi:
Those are my compatriots! We, along with Polyslax and 22tape are the A La Kart collective that you see in my signature.

It's a sketch because I didn't take the time to mix or arrange really. As I came up with ideas I just stuck them on the end of the track, that's why it goes through several seemingly unrelated phases.

Thanks for listening guys. :)

Yeah, sketch smetch, wtf?! That's crazy talk, this mix is just exploding with sound, I love what you've done with it... very very hot stuff! :ud:
Image Image

Oh shit!
This is great!
Love the double time beat against the slow riff at the start :hihi:
Got an eerie Deadsy vibe almost :clap:

polyslax wrote:Yeah, sketch smetch, wtf?! That's crazy talk, this mix is just exploding with sound, I love what you've done with it... very very hot stuff! :ud:
Yeah, also exploding with lots of weird resonances + phasing from attempting to get a mid/side configuration without a figure 8 mic. :(
pattonfreak1 wrote:Got an eerie Deadsy vibe almost
It's been a while since I heard them mentioned... their first album was pretty cool. Their bassist (Creature or something?) tried to hook up with my wife backstage at The Roxy... luckily she has standards. She knows to hold out for a name people might recognize. :hihi:
She's gonna kick my ass for that crack...

maybe I am crazy, but this is one of my favorite 3am pieces....EVER.
you are recently evolving a style that fuses both a very inorganic, edit heavy glitchy, itchy feel with something that feels SOOOO visceral and real that it's completely not the arthouse pretentious chin-stroking BS that some glitch/IDM/electronica (whatever all that is...) fall into.
I am quite jealous, actually :hihi:

but what the hell is this?:
justin3am wrote: It's a sketch because I didn't take the time to mix or arrange really. As I came up with ideas I just stuck them on the end of the track, that's why it goes through several seemingly unrelated phases.
first- if this is NOT "mixed", then I guess I should just give up
second, the fact that you came up the ideas *as you worked on the piece* makes them relevant/related... so I don't hear them as unrelated at all (but then again, I may be crazy...)
at any rate- I love this one (...hits play for the 3rd time in a row...)

Yep, cool track indeed. The "seemingly unrelated phases" really work well I think. Excellent mix of sounds too.
Fugue State Audio - plugins, samples, etc.
Support the Union of Musicians and Allied Workers

Amazing, dude. I just love your textures and editing in this. This is so rich. You get a serious A for creativity. Very listenable, as well, and it seems very natural in its flow. An instant keeper.
So, that isn't a guitar being played and then mutated?

Thanks for resurrecting this guys! It has really grown on me.

Jazzy, thats my electric bass with all the balls taken out of it and then mutated. :)

Return to “Music Cafe”