3am - Arthur Talbot (ambient guitars n' stuff)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
KVRAF
11415 posts since 7 May, 2006 from Southern California

Post Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:10 am

This is a trial run of my live set... beware, it's about 29 minutes long.

Arthur Talbot

Guitars processed with doepfer modular, Kore, Reaktor, Guitar Rig, real amp, real mics, etc.
Drums from EMU XL-7 processed with Kaoss pad, Reaktor and URS Channel Strip Pro.

Enjoy! :tu:

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:53 am

A funny side story... I don't often track with mics and stuff at home. My wife didn't realize that I was doing a live take and decided to turn cartoons on in the middle of it. I didn't really feel like re-recording and with the amount of verb on this bitch you can't really tell, so I left it.

It was Moral Orel, if you're curious.

KVRian
1369 posts since 21 Oct, 2004 from New England Transplant to West LA

Post Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:13 pm

I love crap leaking into mics.. It doesn't change the quality of the actual instrument, it only adds more content. I capture the sound of trains all the time while tracking my Drum Kit.

I'm going to check out this set when i get home..
"Any experiment of interest in life will be carried out at your own expense." http://rhythminmind.net - http://signaltonoize.com - http://popsound.com

KVRAF
2907 posts since 15 Feb, 2007 from ...in the butt

Post Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:58 pm

Downloading Now :tu:

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:40 pm

vieris wrote:I love crap leaking into mics..
Yeah, I don't mind it too much. If I can get it to work it's less frustrating than if I'm forced to record again. I will get really weird about trying to remove the most minute unnoticeable stuff though, I have to admit. :oops:

KVRAF
4799 posts since 14 Jun, 2004 from Denver, CO

Post Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:04 am

Very ethereal stuff, J. There are moments that I actually think I'm hearing large horns.
I was in a band long ago that basically always sounded like the first minute of this track. We didn't have the gear or skills to sound this good though. Cool, gentle drum track. totally atmospheric.
Gonna get lost in this (it's bedtime) and get back to you on it, but at 5 minutes in I am already impressed and engrossed.

p.s. Sounds like it was fun to make. :)

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:40 pm

Jazzyspoon wrote:Very ethereal stuff, J. There are moments that I actually think I'm hearing large horns.
I was in a band long ago that basically always sounded like the first minute of this track. We didn't have the gear or skills to sound this good though. Cool, gentle drum track. totally atmospheric.
Gonna get lost in this (it's bedtime) and get back to you on it, but at 5 minutes in I am already impressed and engrossed.

p.s. Sounds like it was fun to make. :)
Thanks dude! I have to admit while working on this I had to take little breaks every ten minutes. The horn sounds you are hearing come from using the clean guitar (played with an ebow) sound to modulate a filter that comes later in the signal chain.

Yes it was a lot of fun :)

KVRian
1369 posts since 21 Oct, 2004 from New England Transplant to West LA

Post Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:01 pm

I don't even attempt to be a guitar player, but I've always wanted one of those Fernandez sustainers with the built in bridge "ebow". I remember when i worked at a music store & a shipment came in. One box was making this vibrating buzz sound we had no idea what the hell it was. I've wanted one from that day on. Bands like Type O would be hurting without them.
"Any experiment of interest in life will be carried out at your own expense." http://rhythminmind.net - http://signaltonoize.com - http://popsound.com

KVRAF
2907 posts since 15 Feb, 2007 from ...in the butt

Post Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:57 am

This is totally chill...
I could soooo go to sleep to this (by no means am I saying its boring).
Real hypnotic and spacey.
:tu:

KVRist
394 posts since 3 Oct, 2008 from lab

Post Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:40 am

wow, will download this later...65 megs at work is a bit much :)

KVRAF
3003 posts since 24 Nov, 2003 from Heidelberg&Hamburg

Post Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:54 am

Well, I am just about the beginning - but that's right down my alley. In times when I didn't know KVR and made music JUST with a guitar and many fx I knew (mostly freeware), music like that was my dream-music. Of course with lofi sound compared to yours, strange filter-side-effects and much more that made it hard to bear for others :). Only thing that reminds me now of that is the ethereal quality of this piece. Extremely nice, the first 3minutes, will go through it all now. Listened to the Legendary Pink Dots' new CD "platinum blonde" (thanks to a remark of vurt here at KVR, the one I didn't have up to now, hehe) - and that fits well too in a way. Okay, I could stretch my comment until the 29 minutes were over :hihi: . This one is a keeper for me. Maybe the title "ambient" will keep some possible listeners to listen to it, but what do I know. Ambience is something that is around us, so I never understood the discussion. Errm....should I stop now :hihi:. Great music! I really like the addition of drums and the tiefen Töne, the lower end of your music. Crystal clear sound, by the way, must be very difficult to get with this kind of guitars playing?

KVRAF

Topic Starter

Post Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:23 am

Thanks guys!

Klemper: I haven't heard Platinum Blonde but I'm definitely an LPD fan. :)

About Ambient, it's a "for lack of a better word" type thing. These long minimal pieces I do are more conducive to active listening than typical ambient (and not as floaty or new age-ish)

About clarity, it's all in carefully obscuring what you don't want so that what you do want is brought to focus. This idea is key when working with sound sources that contain a lot of distortion or interference. Getting the clarity is easy, making it sit well with the filth is another story.

KVRAF
8072 posts since 12 Dec, 2003 from Canada

Post Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:00 am

That is a masterpiece of tone and texture Justin - would love to see this as a live set. Thanks for that!
Image Image

KVRist
243 posts since 6 Jan, 2008

Post Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:48 am

outstanding :love:

KVRAF
2442 posts since 18 May, 2002 from up on Cripple Creek (CO)

Post Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:57 am

Wow, that's cool! This was my wake-up song today, fitting for the day after halloween I guess. :evil:
Fugue State Audio - plugins, samples, etc.
Take music back from the suits and return it to the people.

Return to “Music Cafe”