DC09 Wishlist

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
tuz
DC TC
2520 posts since 30 May, 2004

Post Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:36 pm

What would you like to see in DC09? (Entries, rules, prizes, etc.)

de la Mancha
KVRian
1302 posts since 4 Oct, 2005 from London, UK

Post Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:36 am

I'd like to see it mostly the same as last year. There is always talk of having different categories, splitting out mac from pc or synths from effects. Or suggestions to drive an improvement in quality (whatever that means) and making the entries more 'pro' (again, whatever that means).

Personally, I like it as it is, a fun celebration of freeware, the emphasis on participation and freedom to experiment.

here's my wishes

- a simple structure, not complicated by categories, platforms, synth/effect splits etc. Like last year, everyone in one big category

- No updates or changes to the plugin after submission, unless it is a bugfix. ie no extra features, presets or functionality

whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth
27076 posts since 4 Sep, 2001 from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Post Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:27 am

votes counted by percentage according to platform. that way its fairer to the developers.

in practice : each plugin would be tagged according to platform categories ie mac+pc OR mac-only OR windows-only OR linux (etc)

total votes would be calculated for each plugin, as well as each platform category.

then the entries would be rated according to (votes/category total) for their category, and then sorted as a single winner list across all categories...
"The bearer of this signature is a genuine and authorised pope."

stefancrs
KVRAF
4614 posts since 20 Feb, 2004 from Gothenburg, Sweden

Post Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:11 am

Let the hunt for the unpopular platforms begin ;)
Stefan H Singer
Musician, coder and co-founder of We made you look Web agency

dacaumodo
KVRAF
2541 posts since 22 Jun, 2004 from Paris. Well, not far.

Post Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:15 am

The mother of all arp Midi FXs.

One that would work with any synth. Xoxos's arp4midi is great already (my favourite among free stuff), but I'm sure there's room for development there.

How about an Arp Midi FX that would also include sequenced CC parameter automation ? I suppose this would be a mother to debug...But just imagine.

An arp section + a few LFOs assignable to CC of the synth you're using it with + a few step sequencers whose ouput is assignable to CC of said synth.

And how about an arp function that would reproduce left hand/right hand playing? Like (humanizable= chords on lower notes, and arpeggions/melodies on the left?

Ah, dreams, dreams...

whyterabbyt
Beware the Quoth
27076 posts since 4 Sep, 2001 from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Post Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:18 am

stefancrs wrote:Let the hunt for the unpopular platforms begin ;)

hmmm. i do see what you mean, so some sort of finessing for the 'one beos plugin with one vote' situation would be needed. but there should still be some way to compensate fairly for the popularity of the platform (or a platform's tools) skewing results...
"The bearer of this signature is a genuine and authorised pope."

shanecgriffo
KVRAF
3648 posts since 27 Nov, 2003 from beach side australia

Post Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:48 am

i'd just like to see it go ahead (soonish) :wink:

xoxos
Mr Entertainment
12053 posts since 30 Apr, 2002 from i might peeramid

Post Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:59 am

it's a good time, most people are indoors with less to do.

how about a straight 50/50 split on voting vectors...

Code: Select all

(# votes)            (# votes)
-------------   +   ---------------
(total votes)     (votes by platform)

---------------------------------------

ensures some representation, would prohibit flukes, isn't too complex :p
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Acrobat
KVRian
894 posts since 9 Aug, 2004 from Rome, Italy

Post Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:40 am

at present situation, that method will advantage mac developers
"For some reason everyone on this site hates Roger Nichols, loves Zebra, doesn't need a Virus (unless it's TI), uses Reaper, and thinks the Kaoss pad is cool: remember these rules and you'll be popular." (blackboyrockinit)

butter
KVRian
1161 posts since 22 Feb, 2004 from Seattle, WA

Post Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:49 am

I want another colorful EQ like Pushtec. Also, a colorful compressor would be cool. I always like to see novel delays and reverbs as well. I'm always on the lookout for a good sounding amp sim or distortion. Good distortion, even the best ones, are sorely lacking in software.

GaryG
KVRAF
5743 posts since 13 Jan, 2003 from Kent, UK

Post Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:50 am

I think something to encourage mac development would be welcome. It's always being noted how there's a dearth of freeware for the mac. Maybe an existing mac developer can offer a special prize, only available to the most popular mac creations? The lack of competition could spur a few developers into action. :)

.g
()_()
(O.o)
(")(")

sunahura
KVRist
422 posts since 18 Sep, 2006 from Detroit,MI,USA

Post Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:32 am

GaryG wrote:I think something to encourage mac development would be welcome. It's always being noted how there's a dearth of freeware for the mac. Maybe an existing mac developer can offer a special prize, only available to the most popular mac creations? The lack of competition could spur a few developers into action. :)

.g
The problem with mac development is that mac keeps the development of software very restricted, I know you've heard of "open source" we should call Mac "close source", because they lock programmers out of thier system constantly. Every upgrade is an attempt to close the resources needed to freely program. So this is something Apple has to encourage.

Any way I would like to see something like last year, I'll definitely
be bringing a "SWEET GIRL" to the party. This time I'm making a synth.
:wink:

duncanparsons
KVRAF
8373 posts since 11 Apr, 2003 from now on the flat

Post Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:39 am

(hey sunahura :) - did you get my PM?)

jobromedia
KVRAF
4830 posts since 10 Feb, 2006 from Stockholm, Sweden

Post Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:28 am

Support for Reaktor ensembles so Mac users who owns Reaktor can run my plugin.
Best regards from Johan Brodd.
JoBroMedia since 1996.

kx77free
KVRian
633 posts since 19 Jul, 2005 from Paris

Post Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:55 am

Hi,

:shock: I do not want any PAYWARES than REAKTOR in a FREEWARE challenge!

about apple:
Please do not advantage this platform...
why:
The Mac users have Windows on theirs machines but we cannot use OSX on a PC. :wink:

and avoid to help any commercial urls!

the first idea of this dc is to help unkown freeware devs...

I can present a good plugin initially make for another forum but I'm not sure this will depend of the dc's rules

I said that in an old post:
1- It's clear, the prizes are a way to get a focus of the freeware development, it's not the finality of the DC, I hope.

But the managment of them by Tuz or Ben spending their time and the com can be too centered about this finality.

2- One prize for each category can be good but imagine one medail for all type of sport on the JO.

The principal difficulty of the DC is the number of the entries.

Eg:
if you scearch a good free FX, you will try in priority the Fx and you can forgot the synthes etc...
Or to find where is the new ideas inside a plugin, you must try a plugin more than five minutes.

41*(5 min + 5 min for download + 5 min to install)=615 min = 10 Hours!

10 hours and more is not a web timing!

If you want win the DC, you must format your plugin for these parameters!

It's exatly the same thing than if you provide a payware and you want money, you must do a work for the majority of the users.

This ideas are very global, of course, I don't really think that...

So, to solve these problems, in the DC page, the plugins should be classified by category, not with the name.
And the description text should be rewrite all time by the dev if he wants correct the text.
Or if an user cannot try some pugins or categories, his vote cannot have the same value than if he tries all.
His vote must have a proportionnal value by his downloaded files.

eg: you try only 10 plugs, your vote = 10/41 = -/+ 0.25

Xavier

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2018”