Virus TI2 at NAMM?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
hakey
KVRAF
5188 posts since 25 Feb, 2008 from Babylon an ting

Post Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:39 am

Heard a rumour that the TI has been discontinued, which would mean that there's a TI2 on the way - possibly a release at NAMM?

jeffb01
KVRian
645 posts since 18 Apr, 2006

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:22 am

yeah, check out this link:

http://www.access-music.de/events/2009- ... s_ti2.html

The update looks relatively minor - more of just the 2009 model than a whole new synth

the new OS (OS3) which presumably/hopefully will work with the original TIs looks awesome. check it out.

brambos
KVRian
1338 posts since 26 Aug, 2005 from Netherlands

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:27 am

Hopefully this won't mean they'll stop improving the software for the TI1 range, because they still have some (admittedly minor) issues to iron out.

Edit: rumor has it OS3 will also run on older TI products - so it could mean added TI2 features for existing TI owners. My Virus is made of w00t! :o
Last edited by brambos on Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

danbroad
KVRian
1126 posts since 2 Jan, 2004 from England

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:32 am

It seems that OS3 is very much backwards compatible. I wouldn't have expected less, given that Access are far and away the best aftersales support of the hardware world.. I'm hoping that the new FX are firmware updates aswell, and that the extra DSP is merely a horsepower rather than a feature boost. Looking at the control panel, there aren't any new knobs or buttons, and the overall layout seems just the same, albeit with a newer printed metal panel.

It's not enough to make current TI owners regret/jealous, not enough to drop the secondhand value of version 1 TI's, but enough to keep the synth line current and with the times. Perfect incremental development from Access...

I was only thinking the other day about a skinnable VirusControl.... the 'Polar' skin looks pretty much right up my street.
11, 418th in line to the KVR throne

aMUSEd
KVRAF
30718 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:51 am

Where have you read this about OS3 being backwards compatible etc? All I see is the Flash advert.

edit found it:

Classy

Audio in for the Control!! (wooooot too)

danbroad
KVRian

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:10 am

oh, and OS3 is up for you to get down!

aMUSEd
KVRAF

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:12 am

Oh bloody hell.........I'm still at work!! :(

Anything about a firmware update in there?

jeffb01
KVRian

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:18 am

I'm downloading right now. I'm excited. Of course, I'm sure it's gonna be a bit buggy as it's the first of a total overhaul and it's a beta. A new toy and it didn't cost me a penny (over the thousands I already spent on my p0lar). I already watched the video. I'm most excited about the new distortion effects and the new boosts (not just analog anymore)...

aMUSEd
KVRAF

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:21 am

Are the new effects in this then?

If so Tape Echo looks great

brambos
KVRian

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:22 am

jeffb01 wrote:I'm downloading right now. I'm excited. Of course, I'm sure it's gonna be a bit buggy as it's the first of a total overhaul and it's a beta. A new toy and it didn't cost me a penny (over the thousands I already spent on my p0lar). I already watched the video. I'm most excited about the new distortion effects and the new boosts (not just analog anymore)...
Oh yeah.. I'm still debating whether I should install the public beta or wait for the final release - but I'm especially stoked about this bit:
Character allows you to adjust the overall tone of a preset reminiscent of several vintage and well-known synthesizers. In addition you can emphasis certain aspects of the patch to allow it to cut better through the mix, or fade it into the background with an extra-wide stereo field.
http://www.access-music.de/news.php4#news130

aMUSEd
KVRAF

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:25 am

brambos wrote:
jeffb01 wrote:I'm downloading right now. I'm excited. Of course, I'm sure it's gonna be a bit buggy as it's the first of a total overhaul and it's a beta. A new toy and it didn't cost me a penny (over the thousands I already spent on my p0lar). I already watched the video. I'm most excited about the new distortion effects and the new boosts (not just analog anymore)...
Oh yeah.. I'm still debating whether I should install the public beta or wait for the final release - but I'm especially stoked about this bit:
Character allows you to adjust the overall tone of a preset reminiscent of several vintage and well-known synthesizers. In addition you can emphasis certain aspects of the patch to allow it to cut better through the mix, or fade it into the background with an extra-wide stereo field.
http://www.access-music.de/news.php4#news130
The best news, however, is that OS3 is compatible with all legacy Virus TIs and the Virus TI Snow, thus enabling Access' vast user base to update their existing instruments with all the new software features totally free of charge.
Wow - Access absolutely rule - that is such a great gesture to their existing users as well as future purchasers - wish more companies showed such a positive, generous and sensible attitude to their user base.

danbroad
KVRian

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:40 am

Access have such a reputation that it wouldn't surprise me to see an update for the Virus C.... they support long after 'discontinuing' the hardware..

But - the big question... do these new Viruses sound like a Virus?

brambos
KVRian

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:45 am

Here's a comment from Marc from Access Music (who happens to be a resident poster on infekted.org):
here's a couple of things i'd like to mention: OS3 is available for the entire Ti series including the snow. we could have easy limited it to the new TI but we didn't for a simple reason. it's really old fashion and not beneficial for anybody (including us). so treat it as a gift

the TI is in for the long run, in other words - there will be updates to the entire series as long as it is technically feasible.
Superb stuff.

jeffb01
KVRian

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:22 am

Okay, looks beautiful. Access are a class act.

1. the first time I opened it in my daw, it takes a few minutes (it says it's syncing) and when it opened the arp was acting weird like it go slow and fall behind and then speed up to catch up. I deleted that instance and opened it again and so far it is fine.

2. having the effects on two pages is nice. Now that I see it this way, I feel that the effects were cramped before. for example, EQ seems so much more logical horizontally now.

3. The distortion control is awesome. I love distortion and it's real nice having new types of distortion and, more importantly, having mix level control and filter control.

4. The character is pretty cool but fairly subtle (like analog boost was)

5. The frequency shifter is awesome and you can really screw with a sound with it.

6. Haven't messed with the tape delay, but seems nice from the video on their site.

just my 2 cents.

blortblort
KVRAF
3156 posts since 20 Sep, 2004 from Atlanta

Post Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:36 am

aMUSEd wrote:Audio in for the Control!! (wooooot too)
w000t indeed! ...I wonder if it'll operate Atomizer without using TI as your sound card?.....dl'ing vids and os presently. Looks like I may be will be busy this weekend :hihi:

I do have this to add: As one of the early adopters of the TI, I was quite frustrated for a couple of years in that *my* particular setup still had sync and other issues well into the OS1 revision period. I have to say that despite my frustrations in the past, Access has ALWAYS been quite helpful and patient and since OS2, sync and other problems are moreless history and I now feel guilty for not using the TI more often. It truly is an amazing instrument (no just for tarnce :uhuhuh: ) from a great company. This latest OS strategy simply continues that fact. Kudos, Access team and looking fwd to OS3 :tu:

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”