NAMM highlights?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Pouckypluysch
KVRian
713 posts since 1 Jul, 2002 from Haarlem

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:12 am

I was looking forward to the NAMM show, expecting a lot of exciting new stuff. But so far, I'm a little disappointed. Perhaps that's because I've merely been looking at the well known brands, so hopefully there's a lot to be discovered yet.

I was hoping for spectacular news from Native Instruments, bbut none of the three announced products are up my ally.

So far, my NAMM highlights are:

Cubase 5
I'm a Cubase 4 user, so the update to C5 appeals to me. I must say that I find the new features interesting, but I'm not particularly excited about it.

Akai APC40
This actually makes me seriously consider getting Live, as I see a lot of possibilities for on stage use eith this combo. It actually also made me wonder if I could use my BCF for that instead.

Anyway, that's it, so far.

Are there any groundbreaking new developments I missed?

foosnark
KVRAF
4609 posts since 9 Jan, 2003 from Saint Louis MO

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:05 pm

Moog Etherwave Plus, and a relatively inexpensive upgrade for Etherwave Standard owners. Gives you two CV and one gate output (though I wish there was also MIDI) and pitch preview.

Chuck E. Jesus
R.I.P.
7301 posts since 23 May, 2006 from in between a cornfield and a river

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:29 pm

foosnark wrote:Moog Etherwave Plus, and a relatively inexpensive upgrade for Etherwave Standard owners. Gives you two CV and one gate output (though I wish there was also MIDI) and pitch preview.
that's what i'm looking at...i have an old Etherwave, a modular, and can solder fine :tu:

Pouckypluysch
KVRian
713 posts since 1 Jul, 2002 from Haarlem

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:30 pm

I thought it might be too early to tell, but then again - all the news has probably been announced by now, I reckon.

Nokenoku
KVRAF
1709 posts since 10 Feb, 2008 from Berlin, Germany

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:38 pm

One real Highlight you can see on VSL, which now officially announced a release-date and further details for MIR!
http://vsl.co.at/en/65/71/393/1165.vsl
That's a real highlight ... not those few "nice" things other developers came up with. :wink:

Well ... and that's just sick:
http://vsl.co.at/en/65/71/1537/1166.vsl
"1,200 recorded samples per key"
Sick ... just sick ... :shock:

duglmac
KVRer
6 posts since 3 Jul, 2007

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:14 pm

I didn't see anything new that was spectacular, but I did get to see Jordan Rudess demo Omnisphere. That was rich.

Muzik 4 Machines
KVRAF
7812 posts since 6 Oct, 2003 from Quebec

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:19 pm

apc40
roland v-piano (just incredible, total physical modeling piano)
MOTU voltage control thing

that's it for now

hibidy
KVRAF
42539 posts since 21 Dec, 2005

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:40 pm

least highlight would be all the beat-o-rama stuff, how many times can the same beat be used over and over again :roll:

(runs fast) :hihi:

by far the most appealing one was the stylus update. And it's free :party:

jeffb01
KVRian
645 posts since 18 Apr, 2006

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:49 pm

I thought it seemed pretty good.

The bet part was the free updates (stylus rmx, omnisphere, and access virus ti)

I'm also excited about trillan and am interested in ocean way DL and Live 8...

I am surprised how excited people were ableton. I thought the version 8 had some okay new features and I'll most likely pick it up, but I didn't think it seemed super great. I think Max for live won't be all that. I assume it will be expensive so we can waste a lot of time trying to figure it out.... I sold reaktor because I didn't want to spend my time making stuff, I wanted to make music. If I was that interested, I would just buy the commercial max that's available now.

Hewitt Huntwork
KVRian
1171 posts since 2 Jun, 2003

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:06 pm

I have been critical in the past at Spectrasonics' slow development, especially the rate at which they've developed soundware (read: SAGE xpanders). Now they come and do this time-designer thing that is so far beyond what I was imagining.

All three of their announcements blew me away.
If every KVR member wrote one review a year we'd have 678 reviews each day!

hibidy
KVRAF
42539 posts since 21 Dec, 2005

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:23 pm

see, the rmx update is EXACTLY what I was hoping for, can't wait to get my hands on that time designer!

koolkeys
KVRAF
16067 posts since 2 Dec, 2003 from Nashville, TN

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:23 pm

Nokenoku wrote:One real Highlight you can see on VSL, which now officially announced a release-date and further details for MIR!
http://vsl.co.at/en/65/71/393/1165.vsl
That's a real highlight ... not those few "nice" things other developers came up with. :wink:

Well ... and that's just sick:
http://vsl.co.at/en/65/71/1537/1166.vsl
"1,200 recorded samples per key"
Sick ... just sick ... :shock:
Don't get TOO excited. The minimum system requirements(as told to me by the VSL guys) will be an i7 processor. Also, there will be two versions. The first is the download version, available in a month or two. It will be just over $1000 US dollars, and include a single concert hall.

Then, there is a boxed version, with several different halls and rooms, and it will be around $1500 US dollars.

Brent
My host is better than your host

botkiller
KVRian
1209 posts since 6 Aug, 2005 from albuquerque NM

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:39 pm

Well, EnergyXT bundling with Behringer is pretty big time.

Ableton Live 8 has a lot of us razzled.

Perhaps there should have been more hot girls at booths - then the dazing would be more complete :D
..::*Jack of all DAWs* brianbotkiller.com : OBEDIA.com::..

koolkeys
KVRAF
16067 posts since 2 Dec, 2003 from Nashville, TN

Post Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:49 pm

botkiller wrote:Well, EnergyXT bundling with Behringer is pretty big time.

Ableton Live 8 has a lot of us razzled.

Perhaps there should have been more hot girls at booths - then the dazing would be more complete :D
There were a LOT of hot chicks at NAMM, some at booths, and some just wandering around. And then there were several, ummmm, shall we say, "not so hot" ones? Skin tight gold shiny pants on a 50 year old, anyone?

Brent
My host is better than your host

headquest
KVRAF
7487 posts since 6 Jul, 2004

Post Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:10 am

Ableton Live 8, including the internet collaberation thing included.

And of course "Max for Live" and the APC40 - a pretty radical and innovative combination for sure.

Roland V-Piano certainly looks interesting too.

I guess that Maschine and the MOTU beat thing are going to be of more interest to non-Ableton users at present.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”