Podium is now $50

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Fritz has said more than once already that existing users will continue to get free upgrades for life, as they bought under that license agreement. Only new users will have the one year license stuff. So no worries if you're a current user. NOTHING will change for you.

Brent
My host is better than your host

He was asking for existing customer before the new price (before that, Podium was more expensive)

Podium is the only thing I miss about moving to OS X. Awesome program, excellent support and very frequent updates.

I hope zynewave does well with the change in price. The audio world would be missing something very special if (t)he(y) couldn't continue their development.

kyodeejay wrote:He was asking for existing customer before the new price (before that, Podium was more expensive)
What do you mean? I know Podium was more expensive. And all customers who bought before the price drop will get free upgrades for life, just as before. New customers are the only ones who have to worry about the new license.

Brent

koolkeys, look at the time when that post and your last post were written ;)

I was talking to MontainKing....

Best regards

kyodeejay wrote:koolkeys, look at the time when that post and your last post were written ;)

I was talking to MontainKing....

Best regards
Oh, sorry! I see now! :oops:

Thanks!

Well, i really do understand that gaining money is important for business activity. So, maybe a "lifetime update policy" isn't the way to go - I see that!

But now we would have to pay 70 % of the "complete price" every year agin and again. Isn't that a bit too much?
"The 'less-is-more'-guy ... he's an asshole." (Billy Decker)

pough wrote:
Just spent some time fumbling around in project creation. Very confusing. At no point in time did I feel like it was doing what I expected it to be doing. I decided to save mystery nothing project as a template (I figured, why not?). Then I shut down Podium and restarted. I unticked the VST scan box and created a new project. It neither used the template nor suggested it might be an option. No VSTs were scanned, but none were available. Hmm... (But it did ask me if I wanted to make the new, blank project as a template. Excellent suggestion.)

I shut down Podium and restarted. This time I ignored its main project creation flow and went for menu items. Sure enough, under project templates I can create a new project using the template I made. Suddenly the VST list shows up (yay!) but.. that's it (boo!). What do I do from here? Hello? No mixer, no tracks, just a list of VSTs. Weird. When I make a new project using the big flashing buttons I get to start making music. When I do it using a template, I don't.

Exactly how it went for me. I couldn't figure it out. (Talking about the CM Edition) I'll give it another go if I need another host for my PC. (Yeah right, it has Live7, Melodyne, T3 and Protools on it already, like I need another host!)

I don't think that. It's only 3$/month. If your upgrade period expire you can leave three or four month (or more, all the time you need!) without pay and using your last Podium version, and when you see anything interesting you can pay the 35$ for a new years of updates. Then you would pay less that 3$/month.

MountainKing wrote:Thanks!

Well, i really do understand that gaining money is important for business activity. So, maybe a "lifetime update policy" isn't the way to go - I see that!

But now we would have to pay 70 % of the "complete price" every year agin and again. Isn't that a bit too much?
Not really. I mean, even the $90 price tag was too low, IMO. Now he's almost cut it in half. You're basically paying 35 dollars per year, with $15 paid for the "license", if you think about it. I mean, there's only so low it can go and still make money.

Just consider the original price paid($50) as being underpriced, because it really is. The upgrade prices may seem like a lot, but considering that you will get MANY updates during that year, it's not exactly expensive.

Brent

MountainKing wrote:Thanks!

I don't own podium at the present i may in the future once i figure out how it would benefit me,i'm pretty happy with reaper at the moment.I don't think paying $35 every year is too much though. $35 too keep your sequencer bug free and developing is less than 10 cents a day!
As a comparison a noncommercial license for reaper is $50 and thats good for the current version # and the next one eg. version 2.XX to 3.XX , I estimate roughly 2 years, then you have to buy a whole new license ,but thats just for a noncommercial license . I used to own Orion, seems like there was a $30 upgrade every second version # , maybe every 2 years as well but the initial investment is $100 .

From a perspective buyers point of view considering the initial low price point ,a $35 yearly upgrade seems fair. i view buying a host as more of an investment in the developer, and don't mind paying upkeep so it stays current and new features get implemented . I'm glad i saw this thread its got me interested in podium i never looked at it before :)
Nobody's a nobody...

Probably you guys are right!

$3/month isn't way too much!

OK, OK! :oops:
"The 'less-is-more'-guy ... he's an asshole." (Billy Decker)

Well many apps like Live and Sonar have yearly update cycles and the price they charge for that is generally well over 2-3 times £35.

aMUSEd wrote:Well many apps like Live and Sonar have yearly update cycles and the price they charge for that is generally well over 2-3 times £35.
A couple of things to say about that though...

1) They are available as boxed products, so have manufacturing and shipping costs, etc. In other words its a different paradigm...

2) They generally include brand new toys in the package, as opposed to just programme updates and bug fixes. For instance, Sonar 8 included Dimension Pro, which was previously a seperate product.

That said, I agree with the majority here that the cost of Podium is a great bargain, and well worth it :wink:

The updates to podium do include new toys and features, on top of the bug fixes. Instead of waiting a year and launch version 4712, they are released whenever they become availlable.
The upgrade from version 2.00 to 2.01 brought rewire support, how's that for 0.01 version update :)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”