symptohm

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Symptohm Symptohm Performer Edition

who has it,what do you do with it and are you happy with it?

Bought a transfer impulsively about 2 years ago. Only really getting into it now. I am using for two purposes:

1) Take short vocal phrases and make them weird.

2) Run looped drum breaks through those filters. The melohman concept comes in great here - it is possible to set-up a 'default' metapatch that can be applied to any drum loop I load. A big time saver and can do wonders on crappy loops.

Haven't been tempted to use for any other purpose, although truth be told, it is capable of so much more than I am doing with it.

Best to demo it extensively.

The big problem with Symptohm is the presets and how theyre organized.
If they made the presets better and the preset system more intuitive it would be a lot more tempting to use it.
I will write to Ohmforce about this.

Heres a few annoying aspects:
The sample finder is useless and saved presets rarely seem to find any of the used custom samples.
The saving is completely confusing and makes you overwrite factory presets and lose your work.
Drop down menu for previously used or build in samples is seriously needed so you can use it more like synth.

Other than that its a seriously powerful piece of audio software. Excellent for creating signature, never-before-heard sounds.

fridtjof wrote:The big problem with Symptohm is the presets and how theyre organized.
If they made the presets better and the preset system more intuitive it would be a lot more tempting to use it.
I will write to Ohmforce about this.

Heres a few annoying aspects:
The sample finder is useless and saved presets rarely seem to find any of the used custom samples.
The saving is completely confusing and makes you overwrite factory presets and lose your work.
Drop down menu for previously used or build in samples is seriously needed so you can use it more like synth.

Other than that its a seriously powerful piece of audio software. Excellent for creating signature, never-before-heard sounds.
yeah it took me awhile to get used to the patch save system. You gotta remember that when saving a new preset (save as) you are still working with the current one and not the newly saved one. If you do not open the new one at this point and save the currently loaded preset it will overwrite the old one.

just remember to always open a newly saved preset after using save as.
Want to change your additive synth into an addictive one? You just need 5000 Cs!

By this time I'm very dissatisfied with it because it cost me almost as much as ACID Pro 6. (Yeow!)

Last year, yeah, I used it a lot, but that was last year. I grew tired of it overloading the output easily with the filters and distortion. The Melohman feature for randomizing patches is pretty cool, but only if there were a way to hold down the sound to a manageable volume level. :)

Grabbed it for 38€ from Jrrshop :hyper:

Is there a way to enlarge the ui?
Never bothered me with any synth before but this is very small.

Guess not.. I just suffer and try to make the most of it

Stopped using it when I moved to Mac due to their crappy requirement to pay for the privilage of using a different OS.

I bought a license yesterday and it works on either OS and 32 or 64 bit. If I remember right the licensing used to be cheaper for one platform, but they increased the price to include all versions but didn't grandfather in existing licenses and introduced an upgrade fee.

It's a very unique and fascinating synth. I wish I could double the size though because it's tiny on my 1440p monitor. Need to use the magnifying tool I guess.

Stefken wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:14 pm Is there a way to enlarge the ui?
If you use two monitors you can temporarily set one of them to 150% resolution (or whatever fits your demand) and move the plugin over there. Not ideal but welcome since Symptohm's UI is indeed too small.

elassi wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:09 pm
Stefken wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:14 pm Is there a way to enlarge the ui?
If you use two monitors you can temporarily set one of them to 150% resolution (or whatever fits your demand) and move the plugin over there. Not ideal but welcome since Symptohm's UI is indeed too small.
Not so much luck. I only have one monitor.
I'll see if the demo motivates me enough. I already have plenty of synths...
Thanks for the tip.
Last edited by Stefken on Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Symptohm for around 40$ at JRR shop is an insanely cool deal!

Damn.. if I hadn't bought the synth back when it came out I'd jump on that deal right now. It's such an underrated synth.

I'll try to remember to post my presets that I have made over the years and perhaps make a few new ones tomorrow. The factory content is pretty damn weak and I see that the latest installs contain some of my old presets but they are completely broken and do not load up correctly. I'll try to find those from backups and post them as well.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:45 pm Symptohm for around 40$ at JRR shop is an insanely cool deal!

Damn.. if I hadn't bought the synth back when it came out I'd jump on that deal right now. It's such an underrated synth.

I'll try to remember to post my presets that I have made over the years and perhaps make a few new ones tomorrow. The factory content is pretty damn weak and I see that the latest installs contain some of my old presets but they are completely broken and do not load up correctly. I'll try to find those from backups and post them as well.
It's one of those synths I wanted for a while so I jumped at that offer! The tiny UI and lack of updates put me off from paying full price. It's a shame Ohm Force haven't been modernising their UIs.

When I have a play around in Symptohm I have no idea what I'm doing, I probably need to read the manual and study some of the patched to figure out how to make new sounds with it :hihi:
I think there was an old video on YouTube showing how to make a sound, I'll need to dig that up. Would be nice if someone wanted to make a new video demonstrating how to make a decent patch or two.

I would really love if you shared some of your patches. That would be very generous and would like to hear the sounds an experienced user has created!

Ranoka wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:07 am
bmanic wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:45 pm Symptohm for around 40$ at JRR shop is an insanely cool deal!

It's one of those synths I wanted for a while so I jumped at that offer! The tiny UI and lack of updates put me off from paying full price. It's a shame Ohm Force haven't been modernising their UIs.

When I have a play around in Symptohm I have no idea what I'm doing, I probably need to read the manual and study some of the patched to figure out how to make new sounds with it :hihi:
I think there was an old video on YouTube showing how to make a sound, I'll need to dig that up. Would be nice if someone wanted to make a new video demonstrating how to make a decent patch or two.

I would really love if you shared some of your patches. That would be very generous and would like to hear the sounds an experienced user has created!
I used to use the free version but limited .. although old, I still jumped on this deal.
YES... manual is pretty much essential reading. Lot of depth and techniques to grasp.
First sound/pre I did was loading an included drum wav and mangle it across the Meta_patch thingy (for want of better term)... fantastic ))))

Return to “Instruments”