Win-to-OSX VST wrapper/adapter

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is there something that will wrap windows vst to mac au for use in Logic? If not, then why?

DirtyPop wrote:Is there something that will wrap windows vst to mac au for use in Logic? If not, then why?

http://www.fxpansion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=15486

That thread is over 2 years old. Still nothing yet?

DirtyPop wrote:That thread is over 2 years old. Still nothing yet?
No and Fxpansion did explain why :

"we don't think a Wine-based adapter (which, at best, with several years' work, would work with maybe 80-85% of available Windows VSTs) would be up-to-scratch as a commercial product on OS X"

Its worth reading the thread from the beggining. With the changes in OSX, things have become increasingly difficult to make projects like this work.

So the work of retroware who wrote the wrapper in this thread is as good it gets. Its here :

http://sourceforge.net/projects/wacvst/

its working..

and i got working WAVES (but only waveshell 5.2)
Waveshell 5.0 dont work (no plugins registered)
Waveshells more high 5.5. up to 5.9.6 want open gl support... but i can not configure open gl,
maybe somebody can explain me what to do.

I use SNOW LEO 10.6.2
Ableton 8.1.1
newest Wine Release
X11 2.4.0

but i am to stupid to get open gl support :/

thanxxxx

Why don't you just run Waves natively on OS X?
You are currently reading my signature.

Because he's probably using a cracked PC version of waves....

UltraJv wrote:
DirtyPop wrote:That thread is over 2 years old. Still nothing yet?
No and Fxpansion did explain why :

"we don't think a Wine-based adapter (which, at best, with several years' work, would work with maybe 80-85% of available Windows VSTs) would be up-to-scratch as a commercial product on OS X"

Its worth reading the thread from the beggining. With the changes in OSX, things have become increasingly difficult to make projects like this work.

So the work of retroware who wrote the wrapper in this thread is as good it gets. Its here :

http://sourceforge.net/projects/wacvst/
As the developer of wacvst, I can attest to the truth of fxpansion's observation. I basically started wacvst as an experiment (and to run dbglitch!). I never really planned on making it a project, but when I saw some demand on this forum I cleaned the code up a bit and put it out there for people to bang on. Getting it to run requires quite a bit of in-depth computer knowledge. Based on the feedback I've gotten, it is quite clear that making it generally easy to install and work with a wide range of vsts would be a large effort. Even with that, there are still going to be vsts that either don't work or don't work well. The time I personally devote to wacvst is somewhat limited and my efforts are mainly in the area of improving its base functionality as opposed to improving the overall installation and use experience.

If anyone would like to do more extensive development, pm me and I'll add you to the svn commit list.

well fiorst to say: Big Thank you goes out to retroware to puttin such a big amount of work into this project.
Now my problem atm is, that after installing everything that is needed (wine, x11, i have 10.5.6.)
misswatson starts to execute the dssi.exe, and then returns this:
![15.007] Plugin's main() returns null
+[15.008] Attempting load of CFM plugin
*[15.010] Could not open plugin resources
![15.010] Plugin 'wacvst' could not be loaded
so it ried to build wacvst from source, but id idnt find the sourcecode for the newest version of wacvst. anyone knows where it is located?
Thanks!

dave_2k wrote:well fiorst to say: Big Thank you goes out to retroware to puttin such a big amount of work into this project.
Now my problem atm is, that after installing everything that is needed (wine, x11, i have 10.5.6.)
so it ried to build wacvst from source, but id idnt find the sourcecode for the newest version of wacvst. anyone knows where it is located?
Thanks!
You will definitely want to rebuild wacvst - The binary that I ship is fairly tightly bound to a particular version of Wine. The source lives in an svn repository. It can be downloaded using the following command:

svn co https://wacvst.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/wacvst wacvst

You'll also need to download the VST sdk from Steinberg.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
retroware wrote:
dave_2k wrote:well fiorst to say: Big Thank you goes out to retroware to puttin such a big amount of work into this project.
Thanks!
You will definitely want to rebuild wacvst - The binary that I ship is fairly tightly bound to a particular version of Wine. The source lives in an svn repository. It can be downloaded using the following command:

svn co https://wacvst.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/wacvst (https://wacvst.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/wacvst) wacvst

You'll also need to download the VST sdk from Steinberg.
well i did as you write here. Thank you for the help!!
well after i edited teh xcode project and changed teh path of aeffectx.h to where i downlaodd it to, it always gave me teh error: no such file or directory on compiling.
i then copied the aeffectx.h and aeffect.h files to the wacvst directory.
now on compiling i get this error:
wineg++ -m32 -m32 -I../../Downloads/vstsdk2.4/pluginterfaces/vst2.x -Wall dssi-vst-server.cpp -o dssi-vst-server -L. -lremoteplugin -lpthread
dssi-vst-server.cpp: In function 'int WinMain(HINSTANCE__*, HINSTANCE__*, CHAR*, int)':
dssi-vst-server.cpp:1562: warning: unused variable 'cnt'

After making the troubling line 1562 a comment (with "\\" at the beginning ) revision 8 compiled succesfully , as well as the xcode build , but when it comes to vst detection in most of the DAWs it doesn't even launch the X11 ... there is a spinning rainbow of death ... and error... on Wine 1.1.34 from Macports

Did you try loading your wrapped plugin using misswatson? This will at least give you some diagnostic info that may be helpful.

Also, when using an X11 installation other than the stock one provided by Apple, one needs to change the wine path specified in the config.plist file.

Sorry if this has been answered already, but is wacvst.vst supposed to be a folder? I'm on 10.4, and I followed Bryan J's instructions on page 3, only I had to download previous versions of Xcode and Macport to work on 10.4. Wine installed fine but when I put wac.vst (it's a folder) in my plugins/VST folder it doesn't show up in my host. Anyone know what's up?

Alright, I fixed the wacvst folder problem by creating the file "PkgInfo," which is just a text file with "BNDLrewa." That seems to make wacvst.vst recognized as a package instead of a folder, so I think that problem's out of the way.

But wacvst.vst still isn't being recognized by Reaper or being loaded by VSTlord. It straight up doesn't appear in the Reaper plug-ins list (I did rescan) and when I try and load it into VSTlord as an effect it gives the error message "cannot load bundle." I am running 10.4 and have installed Wine as per Bryan J's instructions. Wine runs flawlessly. I even went so far as to download the Windows program "VSThost," run the vsthost.exe with Wine in X11 and use Vsthost to load the Windows VST .dll's I have downloaded just to make sure they work. So I know that Wine works flawlessly and that my .dll's are good, but for some reason wacvst.vst still doesn't work. I have tried all the versions of it and always put the .dll in the Resources folder and in the config.plist change the plug-in name to reflect the .dll file minus the extension and change the Wine path to /opt/local/bin/wine (where wine was installed). Anybody have any idea what's up? Is there some inherent incompatibility with 10.4 in wacvst that I'm not aware of?

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”