Main Scales for Dance music?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys

What are the main scales that are used for Dance Music in general (my style is progressive house), but in general.

CHEERS

:D

Melodic elements in Progressive House usually are in major or minor scales. I'd really like to hear some unusual scales on that particular genre, so why don't you try some? :wink:

There's a wealth of resources that let you find out - do a search for 'dance midi', and for 'midi scale progression software' that will look up parts of files playing for the scales used.

pastedfuture wrote:Melodic elements in Progressive House usually are in major or minor scales. I'd really like to hear some unusual scales on that particular genre, so why don't you try some? :wink:
If you want to hear some really cool chord progressions and harmonies, listen to Jaytech, he has some pretty damn cool progressive house like this and also some softer breakbeat stuff like this song which really makes me admire him as a composer. He really has his music theory down, getting good at that will take you far.

I like Jaytech as well, but I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary about his progressions. What prompts you to say he's got his theory down?

As for the OP, any major or minor scale. Dance music does not tend towards any specific scales. With perhaps one exception: C major/A minor. All the white keys. Easy for newbies.

MOK19 wrote:I like Jaytech as well, but I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary about his progressions. What prompts you to say he's got his theory down?
I guess it's not really that special musically, but he doesn't use the generic progressions in 50 billion other dance songs and he uses interesting modes. I guess I mean he's more of a musician than most other electronic producers are.

Dance music?

Stereotypically, electronic dance music tends to be in natural minor / aeolian mode.

Of course, depending on what chord you're in, you'll technically be in many different scales. But they'll all be composed of the notes of the natural minor scale starting from your root key.

'A' natural minor will be easiest for you if you don't know much about music.

Though techno sometimes benefits from slightly more out-there scales like for instance, c, d, d#, f, g, a, c (minor 6th?) to create a suspended vibe. Rarely if ever heard in more streamlined dance tracks.

Then there's that old house effect - playing some chords that are all in major/minor/whatever and all have the same voicing. This is most easily done with a three oscillator synth or a sampled chord. It kind of creates a technoey feel.

:D

Lots of newbies around these parts tonight? :wink:

So share a bit of your glorious wisdom with us...

;)

I don't know how to play chords with synths like this:

3 oscilators:

1st - root
2nd - +3 semi tones
3rd - +7 semi tones

It gives minor feel, it's very popular as lead or something in specific house style.
But how to use it as chords?
It's sounds horrible...

In other side - those 3 oscilators sets as root, root, root or octave above, sounds good. It gives me ability to play chords.

Any advice?

thx

Steinberg wrote:I don't know how to play chords with synths like this:

3 oscilators:

1st - root
2nd - +3 semi tones
3rd - +7 semi tones

It gives minor feel, it's very popular as lead or something in specific house style.
But how to use it as chords?
It's sounds horrible...
It sounds horrible because a synth patch that is programmed to play those intervals is playing a minor chord when you press down one key. By trying to play a minor chord with that patch, you're essentially stacking three minor chords on top of each other, which results in a lot of voices and a lot of dissonance.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

So, it's a problem with too many voices?

The 3 oscilators "seting as minor" can able to play only a lead or melody?
In which category os scales it sounds good?
Some minor scale only?

Dance music isn't much about using scales, it's more about melody and repetitive bass patterns.

a synth patch with preset chord is meant to play as stab.

if you want chord progession in a pad or so manually you take a patch that is thin / plays only 1 note...

Return to “Music Theory”