Multibus Compression - A new plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

FD4 is a new vst effect

It is an effect inspired by the "brauerize" multi-bus compression technique described in november 2008 issue of soundonsound, "secrets of the mix engineers".

Four completely different compressors are applied to four parallel internal busses, to be mixed together.

Each compressor, with a few simple commands, has its unique different sound (transparent or hard, clean or dirty, full band or frequency selective, clean or dirty) and can be used alone, too.

Now in testing stage.

Anybody who used this technique with interesting results?

So what I see here is a 4 band compressor, but in parallel are:

Low Band: LA-typish compressor
Low Mid: Standard Compressor
High Mid: Tube Type Compressor
High Band: again an LA-typish compressor

Do I get this concept right? Sorry, I don't read SOS anymore since it's like 15bucks per issue over here. But... okay scratch that with the crossover frequencies... but wouldn't that be super loud due to the parallel compression?
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

I guess this is kinda like setting up different delays and reverbs on an effects buss to mix various tracks into. I hadn't thought about doing this with compressors to make some parallel compression busses in a DAW but I've done this on my old mixing board to thicken up a solo guitar or synth, increasing the amount send to the effects bus during the solo and moving the effects slider back down after the solo. Interesting...I'm having an 8-track flashback! Good Times!

Interesting concept, never thought of that. Looking forward to it.

Shogger
What?

Compyfox wrote:So what I see here is a 4 band compressor, but in parallel are:

Do I get this concept right? Sorry, I don't read SOS anymore since it's like 15bucks per issue over here. But... okay scratch that with the crossover frequencies... but wouldn't that be super loud due to the parallel compression?
Seems to me it isn't split up by frequency.

Dang! This is an awesome concept. True parallel compression!

Shogger
What?

So you approach audio with 4 different attack/release times?

Compyfox wrote:So what I see here is a 4 band compressor, but in parallel are:

I agree, I don't buy paper magazines anymore. So I got a subscription to the online version. It's GREAT. Or I could even buy single pdf articles (while being free to read the full, old, ones online for free!). And, no, I'm not being endorsed by them, I just like it a lot and the online solution is very cheap (for what it gives) :)

I try to describe the original concept here:

- several compressors are inserted on several parallel busses, POST sliders
- several tracks can be sent to these busses like we do with LINEAR effects (reverbs, delays)
- being compression NON linear the concept is totally different (sorry, I know you know, but we are online :) )
- the compressors make their official job, but, being the original concept in hardware, they add their particular flavours even while in soft bypass
- they can choose many models of compressors, so the concept is wide and the palette is infinite (if they can buy so many hw devices :) )

A symple version of this is used in another article. The multiple busses are used just for the voice to make it full and so on.

Back to this one:

First of all: NOT multiband! Full signal in 4 parallel busses.
The list you wrote looks similar to what it is, but without repetitions.
We could say:

- slow and not-so-linear
- clinic and more controllable
- hard and dirty. Strongly non-linear (on 2nd harmonic side)
- fast and with a different non-linearity (on 3rd harmonic side)

(There will be a menu for each compressor, with variations on the same theme, in future versions.)

You can try it with any set of plugins you have, of course. But don't use several instances of the same one, it isn't the best way. And try to use the ones with most "character".

This plugin makes it simple (insert and go, save everything as a single effect) while adding more colours to the infinite palette we build...

I have to say I never used this technique in a song, I want to try...
Last edited by quintosardo on Sat May 09, 2009 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cooker wrote:So you approach audio with 4 different attack/release times?
No, there are four totally different algorithms inside. The more different the channels are, the more interesting the job is.

***EDIT***
I mean, probably yes, but that's not the main point of the technique they describe

I wrote four completely different algorithms and put them in four channels.
This plugin had to be very simple (controls) so it is very complicated inside (control mapping and linking). Many parameters are not accessible, but I'll add a menu for each one for variations. Only one channel gives direct access to atk and rls in this version.
It is in a "simple" series, insert and go. If I need to go deep, better loading single compressors and so on.

FD4 stands for Full, Dirty, 4 channels :)

Very interesting concept Quinto, you're on a roll as of late... looking forward to this.
The mind boggles.

Compyfox wrote:Sorry, I don't read SOS anymore since it's like 15bucks per issue over here.
Or you couls just read it online for free.
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov08/a ... brauer.htm

jupiter8 wrote:
Compyfox wrote:Sorry, I don't read SOS anymore since it's like 15bucks per issue over here.
Or you couls just read it online for free.
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov08/a ... brauer.htm

Ooops... great! I didn't think of linking directly, thinking it wasn't free!

looking forward to trying it

Seems nice : You're really into Release-mania, arent' you ;) ?
And you definitively loove huge GUIs :D

quintosardo wrote:
Cooker wrote:So you approach audio with 4 different attack/release times?
No, there are four totally different algorithms inside. The more different the channels are, the more interesting the job is.

***EDIT***
I mean, probably yes, but that's not the main point of the technique they describe

I wrote four completely different algorithms and put them in four channels.
This plugin had to be very simple (controls) so it is very complicated inside (control mapping and linking). Many parameters are not accessible, but I'll add a menu for each one for variations. Only one channel gives direct access to atk and rls in this version.
It is in a "simple" series, insert and go. If I need to go deep, better loading single compressors and so on.

FD4 stands for Full, Dirty, 4 channels :)

I asked couse it seems a little hard to get something to work good with a drum or output buss. I'd too like to try it.

Return to “Effects”