64bit version of Helix in the future Jonas?

Official support for: audjoo.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I'm going to buy it if Jonas can confirm that Helix will one day go 64bit. This is the best synth i think i have ever heard. I know that's a big statement, but Gladiator, Zebra, Sylenth, etc, just don't do it for me. Maybe it's just me or my style of music it conforms to, i don't know.
I bet i would like Omnisphere.

Anyway, can you confirm a future 64bit version Jonas? Thanks..

Tim
Wordsong.info - because something GOOD is on the way!

Omnisphere is 64 bit so you got it good there and it is awesome.

Plus i agree those other synths just dont cut it for me either

:tu: Helix is sweet

8)

thanks,
great then, i think i'll get Omnisphere, didn't know it was 64bit and i've heard SO many good things about it.

Man, those demos blew me away on the Helix site. If it will one day be 64bit i'll definately buy into it now and just wait for it.

tim

Artgiver wrote:Hi,

I'm going to buy it if Jonas can confirm that Helix will one day go 64bit. This is the best synth i think i have ever heard. I know that's a big statement, but Gladiator, Zebra, Sylenth, etc, just don't do it for me. Maybe it's just me or my style of music it conforms to, i don't know.

Tim
Possibly. Could you enlighten me what the benefits are? Are there hosts that can not load 32bit plugins?

Thanks,
Jonas

JonasNorberg wrote:
Artgiver wrote:Hi,

Tim
Possibly. Could you enlighten me what the benefits are? Are there hosts that can not load 32bit plugins?

Thanks,
Jonas
Reaper64 can only use 64 bit plugins. Apparently the 64 to 32 bit adapter that both Sonar and Cubase use is pretty flaky as i understand it.

JonasNorberg wrote: Possibly. Could you enlighten me what the benefits are? Are there hosts that can not load 32bit plugins?

Thanks,
Jonas

The 32 to 64 bit bridges are still really buggy, so its never a great option (sometimes no option) if your running a 64 bit project.
Personally I use the 64 bit version of Cubase when I'm doing orchestral work, which demands as much RAM as possible - It would be fantastic to be able to run Helix in the same project file.

There are still proportionally so little plugs that run native 64 bit, any plug in that includes a 64 bit edition does open itself up to that market, how big it is I don't know.
I also have absolutely no idea how much work it takes to compile a 64 bit version. :D

Anyway, everything should be heading that way in the future, well.... fingers crossed for those of us who do orchestral work. :)

SpecialSpecimen wrote:
JonasNorberg wrote: Possibly. Could you enlighten me what the benefits are? Are there hosts that can not load 32bit plugins?
The 32 to 64 bit bridges are still really buggy,
Hearing good things about jBridge... haven't tried it myself (since I'm still on 32-bit :lol: )...
There are still proportionally so little plugs that run native 64 bit, any plug in that includes a 64 bit edition does open itself up to that market, how big it is I don't know.
People are chomping at the bit to run their DAWs fully 64-bit... Vista 64-bit has been available for a while now, and while not a perfect operating system, it has brought 64-bit into the mainstream on the PC after a couple of years of XP x64. Win7 will include 32- and 64-bit in the same shrinkwrapped box. People have been promised some sorta magical something with 64-bit, they bought into it, but they've run into a massive log jam.

The big factor has been a.) proper 64-bit drivers, b.) 64-bit DAW hosts, and c.) 64-bit plugins.

At this point "a" has been pretty well established after months and months of beating up on hardware vendors. Much progress has been made on "b" with SONAR 6/7/8, Cubase 4/5, and others. My overall sense is that "c" is what is lagging behind at this point... and it will always lag behind until consumers demand that 64-bit native versions of their plugs be made available to go with their 64-bit DAW software and OS.

So yes... computing platforms are evolving from 32-bit to 64-bit... it's nobody's fault, but it's also in the process of happening and can't be stopped. Kinda like when Apple decided to drop Motorolla in favor of Intel... funny how all the Mac software runs great on the Core2Duo now...

The big problem with all this is the smaller developers... they need 2x development environments, test environments, version support, etc. If you have somebody popping out VSTs with VC++ Express on an XP 32bit box in their spare time... well, 64-bit probably isn't going to happen anytime soon.

kbaccki wrote:
SpecialSpecimen wrote:
The 32 to 64 bit bridges are still really buggy,
Hearing good things about jBridge... haven't tried it myself (since I'm still on 32-bit :lol: )...
People are chomping at the bit to run their DAWs fully 64-bit... Vista 64-bit has been available for a while now, and while not a perfect operating system, it has brought 64-bit into the mainstream on the PC after a couple of years of XP x64. Win7 will include 32- and 64-bit in the same shrinkwrapped box. People have been promised some sorta magical something with 64-bit, they bought into it, but they've run into a massive log jam.

The big factor has been a.) proper 64-bit drivers, b.) 64-bit DAW hosts, and c.) 64-bit plugins.

At this point "a" has been pretty well established after months and months of beating up on hardware vendors. Much progress has been made on "b" with SONAR 6/7/8, Cubase 4/5, and others. My overall sense is that "c" is what is lagging behind at this point... and it will always lag behind until consumers demand that 64-bit native versions of their plugs be made available to go with their 64-bit DAW software and OS.

So yes... computing platforms are evolving from 32-bit to 64-bit... it's nobody's fault, but it's also in the process of happening and can't be stopped. Kinda like when Apple decided to drop Motorolla in favor of Intel... funny how all the Mac software runs great on the Core2Duo now...

The big problem with all this is the smaller developers... they need 2x development environments, test environments, version support, etc. If you have somebody popping out VSTs with VC++ Express on an XP 32bit box in their spare time... well, 64-bit probably isn't going to happen anytime soon.
+1 64 bit is a small advance forwards, it wont benefit realtime sythesis much but it will be good for Romplers/Samplers.

Ok, thanks for all the answers everyone.

I am kind of behind the times when it comes to Vista... (just upgraded at my day-job, it's nice with 16GB memory), at home (where I develop Helix) I'm on XP still, so it could be a little while to go 64 bit... And yeah, I need to get my mac-version working and AU-ready first :)

Jonas

it could be a little while to go 64 bit... And yeah, I need to get my mac-version working and AU-ready first
That's fine. I just wanted to know if it would at some point in the future go 64-bit. If so, i might go ahead and buy it now. I also need to run the demo using jBridge to see how that does.

Thanks Jonas and everyone.

Tim

64-Bit - why it's useful for music software

Currently, nearly all available software is coded in 32-bit, since 64-bit software cannot run under 32-bit systems, such as the 32-bit versions of Windows Vista and Windows XP. This should change rather soon, as usage of Windows Vista 64 grows rapidly. But what are the advantages of 64-bit for music software applications?

First, there's the memory limitation. Under Windows XP and Vista 32-bit, the memory limit is roughly 2.5-3.5 gb (theoretically 4 gb, but like in the old DOS days, a rather big chunk is reserved for video card, drivers etc.). Many PC systems already ship with 4 gb or even 8 gb of RAM. The extra physical memory is simply not available. For memory-intensive plugins such as software samplers, this extra memory can be put to good use - quite a few contain programs several hundred mb's or even 1 gb in size.

Second, modern processors are fully optimized for 64-bit processing. 64-bit code runs substantially faster than their 32-bit equivalent and runs natively in a 64-bit environment, rather than being emulated. A performance gain of 30% or more, dependent on project and plugins used, is often achieved in practice.

http://www.synapse-audio.com/x64.php

Again, when you say "speed", what do you mean?

CPU usage. The savings are pretty huge in particular for our VSTi's, needing only 60-70% of the CPU the 32-bit editions require.

http://www.synapse-audio.com/forum/view ... d=6328&p=2

UltraJv wrote: +1 64 bit is a small advance forwards, it wont benefit realtime sythesis much but it will be good for Romplers/Samplers.
I think the biggest issue is how terrible it has been for people trying to run 32-bit plugins in 64-bit hosts. I too have heard the jBridge does work better than BitBridge and VSTBridge from Steinberg and Cakewalk, but there is always a performance hit and questionable stability when you have an abstraction layer. Point being, even if 64-bit doesn't help realtime synthesis much, the DAW ecosystem is going to make it a requirement for ALL plugins very soon.
Core i9-7940X | Asus Prime X299-A | 64GB DDR4-3200 | Samsung 950 Pro 2TB Sys, 860 Evo 4TB Data | Steinberg UR824 & CC121 | Virus TI Desktop | Roli Seabord Rise 2 | Nektar Panorama P6 | Nektar Aura | Roland VG-99 | Win10 Pro x64 | Cubase Pro 12

Return to “Audjoo”