man from govt vs donkey-you and me-indierokk

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR
5605 posts since 15 Mar, 2002 from the grimness of yorkshire

Post Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:25 am

Set the pitch correction for the heart of the sun..

This is an ongoing (very ongoing) project where I'm allegedly 'producing' a mate from work's songs. It mostly consists of him buying me lots of carlsberg then me having to try and re-record mostly everything later (the twat is one of the worst singers ever and has f**k all riddim on the geetar).

Anyway, I reckon this one's finished and I've mixed it in the spirit it was intended; ear infection so I can only hear out of one ear and I've had a bottle of red.

Sounds f**king ...ok to me now

you and me against the world

You may beg to differ....

bluedad
something special
8454 posts since 16 Mar, 2002 from Birmingham, Alabama

Post Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:34 pm

hey i like that!

Madeness
KVRist
102 posts since 29 Jul, 2009

Post Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:41 pm

The production quality is terrific.

donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR

Post Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:12 pm

Ta. I wouldn't go as far as terrific though....

With slightly less impaired hearing today although still pissed as a fart (and why not?) it sounds very busy at the top end and congested in the middle - the various (ok, about 8 or 9) geetars are fighting for room. But, that's the wall of shite....the tosser can go elsewhere if he want's anything less than mush. :hihi:

I actually quite like the song for this one, even though some of the chord changes are what I would describe as tenuous. Not bad.

Barnadine
KVRian
1367 posts since 25 Mar, 2002 from Australia

Post Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:02 pm

Good stuff. Like the guy from the Proclaimers woke up thinking he was in Oasis.

That little guitar chime bit's nice, but you probably don't need it at the start of every line during the verses. Maybe every second line, less is more and all that?

manytone
Mod-ulator
2892 posts since 31 Oct, 2000 from "Where I'm to, There I'll be"

Post Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:36 pm

Nice, but ya held back on the full Donkey wall
(Which is probably a good thing for this track) ;-)

Heh, I had me finger on the volume waiting for it.
Nice Job Donks.

Emerald Tablet
Narcissistic Messiah
4563 posts since 8 Apr, 2002 from https://soundcloud.com/remcoh

Post Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:24 am

pfew.

this is a releaf in this time in which everyone sing too in-key in-beat and too polished.

Love this a lot Donkey.
Perfect production (though i'm not fond of the heavy splash-cymbals but thats taste)

Nice lyric. Did your colleage write that?

Cincerely
Dutch c**t

donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR

Post Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:55 am

Barnadine wrote:
That little guitar chime bit's nice, but you probably don't need it at the start of every line during the verses. Maybe every second line, less is more and all that?
:hihi: I did suggest exactly that meself, even to the point of singing 'smells like teen spirit' whilst he was trying to sing. f**king 'artists' :x

donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR

Post Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:00 am

Emerald Tablet wrote:

Perfect production (though i'm not fond of the heavy splash-cymbals but thats taste)

Cincerely
Dutch c**t
To be honest, I have never had a clue how high to mix crash cymbals (when I used to play drums I just used to hit them randomly and as hard as possible...), not helped by only being able to hear properly through one ear. I'll have another better listen and mix when I can hear properly and am sober (so 2010 then?)

Cheers! Only another 8 songs to sort out. I'll probably post them here in batches when I've worked the 'magic' on them..... :roll:

Emerald Tablet
Narcissistic Messiah
4563 posts since 8 Apr, 2002 from https://soundcloud.com/remcoh

Post Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:40 am

donkey tugger wrote:
Emerald Tablet wrote:

Cincerely
Dutch c**t
To be honest, I have never had a clue how high to mix crash cymbals (when I used to play drums I just used to hit them randomly and as hard as possible...), not helped by only being able to hear properly through one ear. I'll have another better listen and mix when I can hear properly and am sober (so 2010 then?)

Cheers! Only another 8 songs to sort out. I'll probably post them here in batches when I've worked the 'magic' on them..... :roll:
Dont worry too much about how hard or soft the cymbals are played
(you probably use a drumbank with everything auto-leveled anyway)

Here is a trick you tought me for drums. Just run the whole drumtrack through MDA combo :lol:

donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR

Post Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:43 am

Emerald Tablet wrote:
donkey tugger wrote:
Emerald Tablet wrote:

Cincerely
Dutch c**t

Dont worry too much about how hard or soft the cymbals are played
(you probably use a drumbank with everything auto-leveled anyway)

Here is a trick you tought me for drums. Just run the whole drumtrack through MDA combo :lol:
As you well know, MDA combo is the most useful plug-in of all time. A total overlooked gem. :love:

Madeness
KVRist
102 posts since 29 Jul, 2009

Post Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:29 pm

donkey tugger wrote:As you well know, MDA combo is the most useful plug-in of all time. A total overlooked gem. :love:
I've seen you mention running drum tracks through it before, but I can't try it myself, because the plug is too old to work in my DAW. Isn't MDA Combo just an amp sim?

folderol
KVRAF
4800 posts since 5 Aug, 2006 from UK - Here!

Post Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:38 pm

Suits me sir!
It wasn't me! (well, actually, it probably was)

donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR

Post Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:46 pm

Madeness wrote:
donkey tugger wrote:As you well know, MDA combo is the most useful plug-in of all time. A total overlooked gem. :love:
I've seen you mention running drum tracks through it before, but I can't try it myself, because the plug is too old to work in my DAW. Isn't MDA Combo just an amp sim?
Aye, as a lofi/hifi switch kind of plug-in using one of the cabinet settings. It's way more useful than that though. If you're keen on degrading some sounds it has a 'radio' setting which is as good a 'lofi' eq as I need and the actual geetar amp emulations, whilst not up to todays standards are always useful for background gitars since it uses hardly any cpu.

:love:

donkey tugger
Boss Lovin' DR

Post Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:10 pm

folderol wrote:Suits me sir!
You haven't seen me. :scared:

Return to “Music Cafe”