Zyklus Improvisor, real-time harmonic sequencer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

cosmonauttransfer wrote: Are you going to port it to Max for live aswell.
+1 for Max4Live'd :)

bronswerk wrote:
cosmonauttransfer wrote:This looks awesome. I have a few questions. Can it be run if you don'y have Max. What are the problems associated with installing/uninstalling max runtime. Does Zyklus have inbuilt instruments, or does it drive other vst's, and hardware. Sorry if I'm going over old ground.
No, you must have Max to run. Max is a beautiful program btw, so it's well worth the money even if you don't like Improvisor in the end.

AFAIK if you install the Max runtime version in essence you install every bit of Max without the possibility to save.

Zyklus Improvisor is purely midi, so no build-in instruments. The way I use Improvisor is in combination with Ableton Live and MidiYoke as a virtual midi pipeline between those 2 programs. And don't confuse Max with "Max for Live".
Would you consider bringing it to Max for Live?

coquillo wrote:I discovered the Modal Object Library the other day, and now this. Max just became indispensable.
:lol::lol:
check out VJs far-away stare on that about page!
ImageImageImageImage

For those wanting it in Max 4 Live, he won't have to port it. Max devices open up in M4L automatically. So if the Max files are available, it will open up in M4L.

Brent
My host is better than your host

What I like in Zyklus is opportunity to start with a simple theme and develop most common thinkable harmonic variations on same rythmic basis in real time. This saves all the time it usually takes to make such variations in piano-roll sequencers.

bronswerk wrote:it hits a nerve so to say, answer is no, you can't save sequences and status at the moment. But I'm well aware of this.
M'kay... Would be nice, but you are aware so that's OK.
bronswerk wrote:And at the moment you can't record chords inputs.
Would there be a way to use one of the 8 sequencer slots for this, or to sequence the sequences? If you know what I mean ;-)
My MusicCalc is temporary offline.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. :borg:

What a wonderful device. Excellent work bronswerk.

I have a question regarding the inner workings, if you don't mind. I'm curious to know exactly what the relationship is between the chord input and the transposition of the recorded loops. How does hitting a triad affect a loop that might have 8 notes of a scale in it?

I'm just curious being a bit of a sequencer junkie myself. It's a fascinating instrument :)

Rozzer wrote:What a wonderful device. Excellent work bronswerk.

I have a question regarding the inner workings, if you don't mind. I'm curious to know exactly what the relationship is between the chord input and the transposition of the recorded loops. How does hitting a triad affect a loop that might have 8 notes of a scale in it?

I'm just curious being a bit of a sequencer junkie myself. It's a fascinating instrument :)
Good question, I didn't make it quite clear in the video what the relationship was between sequences and chord input.

The way Improvisor works is that the recorded sequence is played back AS RECORDED when you hit a single triad be it major or minor, so when recording something in C major, hitting a C-E-G as input chord plays back the original sequence. Also when recording something in C minor, hitting a C-Eb-G as input chord plays back the original recorded sequence. Those 2 rules are the foundation. Every other chord like inversion, sus, 7th-chord types, diminished, augmented etc. changes the original sequence.

Improvisor can handle 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 fingered voiced chords, more then 5 voiced chords will be handled as 5 voiced chords. The chord analyzer in itself can handle more then 5 voices BTW.

In practice this is:
1 voice chord: sequences are played only in unison or octaves
2 voiced chord: the "casio" style interpretation of chords, like C-Eb is C minor
3 or more voices: full chord recognition.

And a little hint how sequences are manipulated by chords, every voice inside that chord directs a subset of that sequence into a certain direction. This is how it's possible to stretch out a sequence over several octaves while it was original recorded for example in a single octave.

A fellow developer was kind enough to offer some web space (thank you Frank!). I hope in the not too far future I will upload a stand-alone version of my Max patch. This stand-alone version will be exact as seen in the video.

+1 Very much appreciated. Maybe make it donation-able? :)

Will your upload include the Max files ?
Would be very interesting to see how you made this miracle..

Bronswerk, what about running several instances of Zyklus in sync? This could be interesting for somebody.

maki wrote:Bronswerk, what about running several instances of Zyklus in sync? This could be interesting for somebody.
exactly what i was thinking

aitch gee wrote:Will your upload include the Max files ?
Would be very interesting to see how you made this miracle..
That was the plan first, but then I "rediscovered" the possibility of a stand-alone version, so anyone without Max can use it. That is my first priority. But if someone is very interested he/she can give me call.

aitch gee wrote:
maki wrote:Bronswerk, what about running several instances of Zyklus in sync? This could be interesting for somebody.
exactly what i was thinking
Hmm, I was thinking of sync possibilities, not between 2 instances of Zyklus, but between a DAW sending midi clock and Zyklus as a slave. Currently Zyklus Improvisor has no sync option at all.

On the other hand, but I'm not sure, there's maybe already a sort of sync. If I programmed the system "transport" object in Max as "global", starting the transport in one application of Zyklus should start the other transport of the second Zyklus also. So at least you have same start/stop and tempo. But again, must check this out. Maybe it only works when Max itself is running also.

Return to “Instruments”