Using 64-bit Plugins in a 32-bit Host via JBridge

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello.

I apologize if this is the wrong forum. It seemed most appropriate..

I have Windows 7 64-bit but my host is Fl Studio (32-bit). I own a few plugins (mostly synthesizers and effects) that are available in 32-bit and 64-bit versions but so far I have only been using the 32-bit versions in Fl studio. I also own halion 3.5 64-bit which I haven't installed yet. ( I read that it's available). Still using the 32-bit version right now..

I understand that Jbridge allows 64-bit plugins to run inside of 32-bit hosts (such as Fl Studio), but

1) Does Jbridge simply "allow" to run the 64-bit versions as a somewhat "downgraded" version that is compatible with 32-bit? Or do I have all the advantages of 64-bit while running the plugin in a 32-bit host?
Does the plugin actually benefit from all the advantages of being 64-bit?

2) I understand that for samplers/Romplers there is a big advantage using the 64-bit plugin (access to more Ram). Will I have access to more Ram if I use the 64-bit plugin in a 32-bit host via Jbridge or do I have to use a 64-bit host in order for that feature to work?

3) What are the advantages of using a 64-bit synthesizer or effect plugin in a 32-bit host? Do they use less CPU? Would using JBridge for synths and effects do nothing more than add more CPU because of the use of Jbridge?

As you can see, I don't "really" know what I am talking about :) New to all this.

I did want to state that using 32-bit plugins in my 32-bit host in Windows 7 64-bit has been a breeze. I would never look back. Loving the i7 quad core. I am the happiest I have ever been with my DAW. Anyone still using a single core PC (Pentium 4, 2.4Ghz Windows XP for example) will be blown away when they try one of the new generation of PC's..

If you are in doubt, go with Windows 7 64-bit (even if you're not using 64-bit hosts or plugins). Get an i7 or better and you will be very pleased indeed :) You can slowly make the switch to 64-bit :)

Oh yeah, that was the point of this thread.

Will I be improving my setup by using 64-bit plugins in my 32-bit host?

Thanks!
Play it by ear

pheeleep wrote:
1) Does Jbridge simply "allow" to run the 64-bit versions as a somewhat "downgraded" version that is compatible with 32-bit? Or do I have all the advantages of 64-bit while running the plugin in a 32-bit host?
Does the plugin actually benefit from all the advantages of being 64-bit?
The way a bridge works is that is technically opens up in it's own separate program, and therefore has it's own memory usage. The bridge then passes all inputs and audio/midi between the host and the separate program. This is because TECHNICALLY, you can't run a 32-bit plug in a 64-bit app, and vice versa(basically can't mix and match). So a bridge simply sends info back and forth. This is how every bridge out there works at the moment.

So in general, whatever plug-in you have loaded will be restricted to the memory limitations of that plug-in's architecture. So this means that if you are hosting a 64-bit plug-in, regardless of the host being 32-bit or 64-bit, the plug-in will have access to the full amount of RAM that 64-bit can use.

So to put it simply, yes, the 64-bit plug will have full access to your RAM, more than a 32-bit application would have. I wanted to explain it so you knew what exactly was going on. Hope that helps.
2) I understand that for samplers/Romplers there is a big advantage using the 64-bit plugin (access to more Ram). Will I have access to more Ram if I use the 64-bit plugin in a 32-bit host via Jbridge or do I have to use a 64-bit host in order for that feature to work?
You will have access to more RAM, yes. Of course, to access more than 4GB TOTAL between all apps and plug-ins, you will have to be running a 64-bit OS. But you obviously are doing that. So yes, you will essentially have access to the full amount of RAM. Your host, as it's still 32-bit, will still be restricted on it's own to 4GB. But bridged plug-ins will be open to more, as explained above. The host has no affect on what the plug-in can access when wrapped in a bridge.
3) What are the advantages of using a 64-bit synthesizer or effect plugin in a 32-bit host? Do they use less CPU? Would using JBridge for synths and effects do nothing more than add more CPU because of the use of Jbridge?
Not much advantage. Bridges do add CPU, even if it's only a small amount. So if you have a 32-bit host, and a plug that doesn't need a bunch of RAM, use the 32-bit version of the plug-in. It will run with less overhead, and less "middle men" in terms of the bridge. Programs will usually run better in the way they were written to run. So if RAM usage by a plug isn't going to be high, use it in whatever version the host is directly compatible with. If your host is 32-bit, always opt for 32-bit versions of plugs first UNLESS you need them to access extra RAM. If your host is 64-bit, always opt for 64-bit versions of the plugs when available. When you need to mix and match, use the bridge.
I did want to state that using 32-bit plugins in my 32-bit host in Windows 7 64-bit has been a breeze. I would never look back. Loving the i7 quad core. I am the happiest I have ever been with my DAW. Anyone still using a single core PC (Pentium 4, 2.4Ghz Windows XP for example) will be blown away when they try one of the new generation of PC's..
Absolutely! It's 100% night and day. That's the kind of switch I made, coming from an Athlon 3500+ to the i5 with 8GB RAM and Windows 7. I would never even dream of going back!

Let me know if you have any questions. Hopefully you understand a little more how things work.

Brent
Last edited by koolkeys on Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
My host is better than your host

Hey, you both, thanks for the question and thanks for the answer! That was very clear!

Angel

This is the Jbridge's developer thread:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=244999

You can contact him there if run into some trouble with the app.

Thanks for the long detailed answer koolkeys. You did a great job making me understand how this works. Oh, and of course this info makes me very happy!
Play it by ear

No problem guys!

Brent
My host is better than your host

Yeah this helped out a bunch you actually made this alot more clear to me then any info I've found thus far thanks..

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”